Best Deaf School?

That is exactly the technique that oral schools used for classroom placement. Kids were placed according to oral skills.........and then the oralists will say that they don't value oral skills over sign, and don't consider one superior to the other. Their mouths say one thing, but their practices say another.

So are the education the same for both groups of kids or the one with better oral skills get better education????

So are the education the same for both groups of kids or the one with better oral skills get better education????

The ones with oral skills got better education, because it was generally assumed they were more educable. **shaking head**

If that's true then I will kick those oralists' asses for allowing that kind of pratice to happen. I will never accept that ever so I hope it is not true. If they do that, pls refer the kids to the deaf schools. They can get a better education there than being on a life based skills curriculm if they don't have any MR.

If that's true then I will kick those oralists' asses for allowing that kind of pratice to happen. I will never accept that ever so I hope it is not true. If they do that, pls refer the kids to the deaf schools. They can get a better education there than being on a life based skills curriculm if they don't have any MR.

It's a historical fact. And this is exactly the reason that more oral kids in the public system are mainstreamed for the majority of the day, while the less oral are stuck in the resource room for most of thier day.

It's a historical fact. And this is exactly the reason that more oral kids in the public system are mainstreamed for the majority of the day, while the less oral are stuck in the resource room for most of thier day.

Wow..I always thought the kids who don't have good oral skills get referred to deaf schools or in BiBi program in the public schools but this is new to me. That's a terrible kind of practice and it should be banned completely!!!

The ones with oral skills got better education, because it was generally assumed they were more educable. **shaking head**

So I got the short end of education in that school. At least I got to stay with my best friend until 5th grade. (She decided to be best friend with an army brat but the army brat was gone after a year)
Jillio, do they also based the placement on IQ tests? I remember a strange lady who tried to have me to do the maze but she somehow upset me so bad. I also remember the second test but I was nervous about the maze. The second lady is better than the first.
How long do they keep the school records??? Where could I find them? When I transferred to another school, do the new school have records from the old school?

So I got the short end of education in that school. At least I got to stay with my best friend until 5th grade. (She decided to be best friend with an army brat but the army brat was gone after a year)
Jillio, do they also based the placement on IQ tests? I remember a strange lady who tried to have me to do the maze but she somehow upset me so bad. I also remember the second test but I was nervous about the maze. The second lady is better than the first.
How long do they keep the school records??? Where could I find them? When I transferred to another school, do the new school have records from the old school?

Yes, your records followed you from your old school.. And yes, they do use IQ test scores to sometimes determine placement, but I have a problem with the IQ tests as adminsitered to deaf students without revision. If the same test that is given to hearign students is given to deaf students, it turns our to be culturally biased becasue it is so verbally based. There are adaptations to be used with deaf students, and when those tests are used,the students noramlly test much higher than on the rest that is given to hearing students. Many deaf students have an underestimated IQ, not becuase they are not very intelligent, but because the test was biased against them. I've heard of students being given both tests,a nd scoring perhaps 10-15 points higher on the test that is amended for use with deaf students. Most public schools, however, are still administering the same test to both hearing and deaf students.

Yes, your records followed you from your old school.. And yes, they do use IQ test scores to sometimes determine placement, but I have a problem with the IQ tests as adminsitered to deaf students without revision. If the same test that is given to hearign students is given to deaf students, it turns our to be culturally biased becasue it is so verbally based. There are adaptations to be used with deaf students, and when those tests are used,the students noramlly test much higher than on the rest that is given to hearing students. Many deaf students have an underestimated IQ, not becuase they are not very intelligent, but because the test was biased against them. I've heard of students being given both tests,a nd scoring perhaps 10-15 points higher on the test that is amended for use with deaf students. Most public schools, however, are still administering the same test to both hearing and deaf students.

Same thing for State assessments. They are a nightmare to give to our deaf students cuz some questions are related to syllables and phonics. ugh!!!! Talk about bias big time!

Same thing for State assessments. They are a nightmare to give to our deaf students cuz some questions are related to syllables and phonics. ugh!!!! Talk about bias big time!

Yep, it is a culturally biased assessment tool, and therefore not valid with use for the deaf population. Results cannot be considered accurate.

assimilated, not disturbed

Hi there, it looks like you got out of Wisconsin. I want to know, what happened at WSD when you were 6? What did you learn, why did you like your 1st year? I am a mother of a deaf child. My little girl is 3 and hard of hearing. As a hearing parent, I had no Deaf doctors or Deaf community members talk to me about the Deaf culture. The doctors, audiologists, and elementary satelite schools for "hearing impaired kids" (politically incorrect and insulting: hard of hearing correct label) all tried to force hearing aids and oral speech on my daughter. The ultimate goal of the hearing culture is to make deaf like them, hearing/speaking. Cochlear implants are a vicious, abusive attempt to "fix" a deaf person. I listened to what my baby told me, what I felt is right for her, and learned with her ASL, the most natural language for Deaf or hoh. Whether or not you believe this, it is a proven fact and I am sorry you were made to feel uncomfortable about your own culture and forced to speak at an early age, too young for you to be well rounded with ASL and decide what is best on your own. BI BI schools flip the school system across the world around - hearing children have to learn ASL to speak to amazing, intelligent Deaf children as opposed to forcing a Deaf child to speak oral, which is unnatural. It does not hurt a hearing child to learn ASL. It educates, brings the 2 cultures together and brings more peace. I do not think you are disturbed, you look very young in your picture and you have the rest of your life to learn about the deaf culture and the beauty you were Born with! I am in my 3rd year at ASU for psychology and ASL. Keep at your schooling if you are going for psychology, if nothing else we agree on, you seem very passionate, use it for good. Bebe

I'm curious i noticed you guys left out those schools, WPSD, PSD, SSSD, ASD, OSD, MKSD, St. Marys, NYSD, NYSSD, RSD... What are your opinions on those schools?

Yup, their faults. They think that I need to "socialize more with people of the same level of hearing" when I started the dumbass deaf school in 1997.

Big mistake, FYI. I tried to get them to move me back to the hearing schools, but ahh they refuse to do that because of "financial reasons." BWA HAHAHA! Sure, I might benefit from that via learning ASL and deaf history, but .... please read the below paragraphs.

The deaf people at ISD always tend to find and exploit minor flaws in me, make such a huge deal about it, and blab their mouths off about it. Another issue that really, really bothered me was when someone picks on me, then I was like "Will you please STOP?!" then the teacher always, I mean ALWAYS think that I started this shit and sends me to detention hall. I try to complain to the supervising teacher (the boss of the high school department) and that fat bitch won't listen. She was like "Simply ignore them and they'll stop. End of story." Uhhhh????? If they started picking on me, then THEY should be the ones to be sent to detention hall, not ME! That's the main reason why I hated that fucking mentally-retarded deaf school.

Now, compare with the pre-1997 and post-2003 (I graduated in 2002, but I came to visit my friend Justin Burke who graduated in my class also, but he has to take his 5th year) eras when I was in the hearing world. I felt so comfortable being there. I grew up as a lone deaf boy in an entire family, both father and mother's sides, of hearing people. The hearing kids at the elementary schools (pre-1997) and colleges (post-2003) have always been nice to me because they understood what's like to be deaf, you know?

I've always enjoyed being around hearing people not only because of my speaking skills, but because of their kindness. I have over 200 friends (and will have more and more as time goes by) on the social networking site Facebook and I just joined Facebook in September 2006. Plus I have "unlisted" friends that don't have Facebook.

I did a search on anyone that is from the "RIT" or "Gallaudet" network and whoa, a long list of them. I then prayed to God that they would never find me because my God, imagine the chaos and the pandemonium when they post embarrassing stories on my FB "wall." The hearing friends would go like "My God...." and stop talking to me. Fuck that shit.

Soooo, to be a step forward in the game, I set my privacy settings to NOT show my profile to anyone unless they get *MY* approval (via "friend" requests). Chances are they would MOST LIKELY get silently denied access. I told a college hearing friend about that, and she was like "Smart idea. Time to move on, you know?" My God, I could not have agreed MORE about that! I'd rather not get into that kind of mess, period.

I'm through with elaborating. Thank you for your listening and have a nice day.

Wow, I am sorry to hear you went through all this in this school. I do want to ask you if you ever saw a school counselor there and how that went? Just curious to know how the school counselor responded to this situtation and what was done and how you felt ?

I'm curious i noticed you guys left out those schools, WPSD, PSD, SSSD, ASD, OSD, MKSD, St. Marys, NYSD, NYSSD, RSD... What are your opinions on those schools?
Whoa... I'm lost already. Are those deaf institutes or what?

It's hard to say which deaf school is better. I'd say that it also varies on how serious the students take their school.

I've heard arguments between which college is better... NTID or Gallaudet?

Yet, there are some deaf students who complain that NTID is too hard... when it's the students who aren't even trying.

yea I'm planning on doing 2+2 program at NTID/RIT... Im majoring in Applied Computer Technology

Back