Best ASL dictionary?

CliffJones

Reaction score
I'm not fluent in ASL, but I've devised a writing system for it (RomaSign), and I'm working on populating a small online dictionary. So far, I've been using The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary by Tennant and Brown (of Gallaudet). I thought that would be pretty authoritative and a good place to start. However, I'm finding some discrepancies with sites like Handspeak and ASLU, and sometimes Tennant and Brown's form seems a bit awkward to me.

For example, the sign for "you" in Tennant and Brown indicates the palm faces down, but Handspeak and ASLU both show a palm facing sideways. I know this is a minor detail, but I'm really concerned with things like this. I just purchased The American Sign Language Phrase Book by Lou and Barbara Fant, and it agrees with the websites.

Could any of you offer me some advice as to which dictionary or website might be considered the most authoritative? I know there is regional variation; I'm just looking for opinions on Gallaudet's dictionary, Lou Fant's book, etc.

Back