Being told you can't do it.

locokitty

Reaction score
I've been 87% deaf since the day I was born. My parents didn't notice it until I was 4. It is my dream to become a music producer. Work all day in my studio with all these buttons. I want to have my own record label. But, my whole life, I've been told my friends, family, and now fiance and his parents, that I can't do it. I'm 18 now, attending the local college my first year. I want to go to Bard College, or another college that has Recording Arts, in NY. NY is my dream home. I've only been there once for a whole summer, when I was turning 13. Its the most beautiful place ever. Anyways, I've never been "part" of the deaf community until recently, when I met the first deaf/hard of hearing person I've ever met, just last week. The other day, I met another, her boyfriend of three years. I am incredibly excited with meeting these people who are just like me. My problem is, that with my dream of becoming a big time record label/producer, I have so much negativity coming from the most important people in my life.. I'm starting to think I CANT do it. But I want to at least try, and if I waste $80 gs, then so be it, at least I tried..

What is your input on this? What do you suggest I do? Where do I even start?

Best Regards,
Katelyn

Wirelessly posted

When people tell me I can't do it. I simply say "watch me"
"Deaf people can do anything except hear" has been said many times on this site.

Have you heard of Sean Forbes? He is doing ok in that business. :)

I've been 87% deaf since the day I was born. My parents didn't notice it until I was 4. It is my dream to become a music producer. Work all day in my studio with all these buttons. I want to have my own record label. But, my whole life, I've been told my friends, family, and now fiance and his parents, that I can't do it. I'm 18 now, attending the local college my first year. I want to go to Bard College, or another college that has Recording Arts, in NY. NY is my dream home. I've only been there once for a whole summer, when I was turning 13. Its the most beautiful place ever. Anyways, I've never been "part" of the deaf community until recently, when I met the first deaf/hard of hearing person I've ever met, just last week. The other day, I met another, her boyfriend of three years. I am incredibly excited with meeting these people who are just like me. My problem is, that with my dream of becoming a big time record label/producer, I have so much negativity coming from the most important people in my life.. I'm starting to think I CANT do it. But I want to at least try, and if I waste $80 gs, then so be it, at least I tried..

What is your input on this? What do you suggest I do? Where do I even start?

Best Regards,
Katelyn
my suggestion? less talk, more action. prove it to them thru your action, not talk.

What does becoming a music producer entail?....and you have 87% hearing loss?....

All I can say is, be realistic...I loved music before losing my hearing...sang and wrote songs too....There was a member who was deaf (lost her hearing) but still sang and made music...(don't see her around much anymore, believe it was "FadedRose").....My hearing sons listened to some of her music and said it was pretty good....

I'm not saying "don't take the risk" because of ur hearing loss....determination can get you a long way.....I've taken many, many risks myself, some were bad choices, some were good and some for the principal of the issue...

Wishing you good luck!...Never know until you take the risk.

Never give up on a dream. You can do what ever you want. If you can feel the beat girl,go for it..

Actions speak much louder than words. If someone tries to tell you what you can't do, show them what you CAN do.

Back