Being Poor is Not A Crime

Wow what a sad state society is getting into.I am absolutely astonished that you can get fined for handing out food! I am not aware of anything like that here in NZ. Yes increasingly more families are becoming homeless & the kids should not have to suffer this way.We don't know the circumstances that lead these people to becoming homeless so we should keep our judgements such as they must be addicts etc to ourselves.

Yep...it's never anybody's fault when it comes to be being poor.

Jail does not cure drug addiction.

I agree with you 100 %.... few old friends who got out of prisone.. said they can make drugs inside jails and prisons.. they even got addicted inside prisons...

I agree with you 100 %.... few old friends who got out of prisone.. said they can make drugs inside jails and prisons.. they even got addicted inside prisons...

Thanks! Missed you SxyPorkie!

The streets of New York are home to many a vagrant - they are everywhere. Benches, cardboard boxes, parks. Shelters are filled to the max and not for nothing, some would prefer to be independent and fend for themselves without the help of a shelter.

Anyway...I'm reminded of a time that my husband and I went to a McDonald's for a quick meal. There was a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk next to the joint and he was not begging, or asking for anything. He was just sitting by himself and trying to keep warm.

We went in and ordered our food. I made my husband order an extra hamburger, then I took it outside to the man and offered it to him. He took it, thanked me and began to eat.

I do not mind helping the homeless...but I NEVER give money. If it's food they want, I'm more than happy to buy it for them. At least, that way, I know they're eating and not using handouts to fuel a harmful addiction such as drugs or alcohol.

The majority of homeless are not drug addicts and alcoholics. The fastest growing homeless are families--mothers, fathers, and children. It is a sad commentary on the economic climate and the social envirnoment in our country.

True. I noticed around in DC area there are
more homeless people STILL go to work and
can NOT even afford these houses. Can you
imagine homeless people in DC STILL go to work ?
They are NOT Drug-addicted types.

Let's focus on 2 different homeless categories:
1) Homeless people who STILL go to work
2) Homeless people with drug addictions

I hope more people will realize that every time
when we see homeless people that we need to
stop this stereotype. NOT all homeless people
are drug addicts.

What is the solution to this ?

Yep, Y. They're called the working poor. The solution is through our right to vote, partially. We have to elect people who are empathetic to the needs of this country's people. The other part of the solution is in our own hearts. As long as we ignore what is happening, we allow it to continue to happen. We all need to understand that we can't make rash judegements about others based only on what we see on the surface, and to understand that we are only one paycheck away from being in the same condition ourselves. Good people have bad things happen in their lives, and we need to stop judging people based on what has happened to them rather than on the people they are.

Yep, Y. They're called the working poor. The solution is through our right to vote, partially. We have to elect people who are empathetic to the needs of this country's people. The other part of the solution is in our own hearts. As long as we ignore what is happening, we allow it to continue to happen. We all need to understand that we can't make rash judegements about others based only on what we see on the surface, and to understand that we are only one paycheck away from being in the same condition ourselves. Good people have bad things happen in their lives, and we need to stop judging people based on what has happened to them rather than on the people they are.

Exactly !

Perhaps this would be helpful to make a list of people who
are empathetic to the needs of this country's people
for electing/voting in the near future. I rarely see
any politicians with this favor, ugh... ????

Back