being deaf?

My high school experience was great. What a rush I had at the start of my freshman year meeting all kinds of new friends, and had a blast in the marching band, and participated in marching band competitions throughout the southeast. So, a lot of positive experiences than negative ones, so it really panned out quite nicely for me.

I ask you this KOKONUT did you go hearing high school and were you deaf when attended

I hated it because I was the only deaf kid there until high school. I was put at the front row and expected to understand everything that was going on. I missed out probably 95% of everything. Socializing became hellish around 5th grade when dynamics changed from play to chatting. Also, there was the bullying issue that I had to deal with on top of it.

I can identify with this completely!

I got so frustrated at school, sometimes I just took my hearing aid out and gave up. I even got detention once for not wearing my hearing aid, how bad is that!!!

I can identify with this completely!

I got so frustrated at school, sometimes I just took my hearing aid out and gave up. I even got detention once for not wearing my hearing aid, how bad is that!!!

It is ridiculos. When r these parents gonna learn?

I can't describe how brutal highschool was for me. Since I grew up in oralism/audism family who is embarrassed of my deafness. I never wanted to have ASL interpreter or deaf technologies. Simply because I was completely ignorant and embarrassed about my deafness. Proclaimed that I can hear as good as hearing people and that I understood everything what the teachers say. Yet I probably missed 80% of what the teacher says.

Socially? Pfffffff yeah right, I never fit in ANYWHERE in hearing school. I
Ugh tell me about it! I do not think that those experts understand how fucking brutal high school can be!!!!!!! I just got back from Clarke School for the Deaf's conference............they are SO fucking naive.......:(

Ugh tell me about it! I do not think that those experts understand how fucking brutal high school can be!!!!!!! I just got back from Clarke School for the Deaf's conference............they are SO fucking naive.......:(

Tell me about it. I read an article about how in Utah, 85% of deaf children's parents choose the oral route. Ridiculous!! It is all about their "hearing" ways. :roll:

It was kinda werid because during my high school years at a public school was one of the best years I've ever experienced, I had sign language interpreters in every classrooms I attended.

Before high school, I was raised oral, and that was one of the most frustrated experience of being in a hearing school where you have to relay on lip reading skills in every classrooms all day long. I remember coming home with headaches, confusion, and frustration. My dad knew how unhappy I was, as soon as he learned that there were sign language out there for the deaf, he started looking into that and move us to a school that supports sign language. ;)

My college does a good job providing me with what I need. When I started, they asked what I needed and gave me options. The man who helped me even tried to give me more than I needed. I don't use ASL yet, so I opted for CART. He wanted to give me a note taker as well. I told him that with CART, I was perfectly capable of taking my own notes.

Back