being a hearie??

avreethequirky

Reaction score
hello,
I'm a hearie who isn't related to any deaf or Deaf people, but I am learning ASL because i LOVE Deaf Culture, and the language. I was going through and reading some of the posts about the things us hearies do most that bother you guys... and I totally agree with them :P But it got me thinking... what do you deafies truly think of us hearies trying to learn and be a part of Deaf Culture? Do you guys feel... i dont know.. invaded? bothered? happy? noticed??
just got me thinking ;)
ps - what do you think of people like me saying 'hearie' and 'deafie'??? O.o dont really know the ropes around here yet :P

You can still be hearing and culturally Deaf. However, your attitude and your willingness to learn ASL - the language of culturally Deaf people - will impact your acceptance in the Deaf community.

I think it is great that you are learning ASL - please just have fun along the way and support us! We have common values and mores that come from us not being able to hear.

I call hearing people hearies as well - no problem with that!

Kyleb has pretty much said it all. A "put it in a nutshell" synopsis.:P

Also, I wanted to add (for the OP) a few things.

Getting past the attitude and the requirement to be fluent in ASL, I just wanted to warn you that many (not all) Deaf people (the physically deaf ones who are Deaf, to be more specific) don't (understandably) want to accept hearing people as they are known to be complicit in the oppression of ASL and Deaf culture.

I am not saying this to scare you away from Deaf culture. I am just saying this in case you happen to get across someone who refuses to accept you for your hearing status.

Honestly, I don't believe hearing status should matter - I believe having a good attitude towards our culture, humility and being willing to continuously develop your ASL skills (as all languages are living languages that change all the time) are the three most important characteristics that anyone wanting to get to know ASL and Deaf culture should have.

Also, I wanted to add (for the OP) a few things.

Getting past the attitude and the requirement to be fluent in ASL, I just wanted to warn you that many (not all) Deaf people (the physically deaf ones who are Deaf, to be more specific) don't (understandably) want to accept hearing people as they are known to be complicit in the oppression of ASL and Deaf culture.

I am not saying this to scare you away from Deaf culture. I am just saying this in case you happen to get across someone who refuses to accept you for your hearing status.

Honestly, I don't believe hearing status should matter - I believe having a good attitude towards our culture, humility and being willing to continuously develop your ASL skills (as all languages are living languages that change all the time) are the three most important characteristics that anyone wanting to get to know ASL and Deaf culture should have.

There are a few people still like that around...just as there are whites that won't accept someone into their inner circle just because they are Black or a Christian that won't accept someone into their inner circle because they are Jewish or Buddhist, or whatever. Thankfully, though, bigots like that are not the norm.

There are a few people still like that around...just as there are whites that won't accept someone into their inner circle just because they are Black or a Christian that won't accept someone into their inner circle because they are Jewish or Buddhist, or whatever. Thankfully, though, bigots like that are not the norm.

Well, that example is a case of a majority culture not inviting minority cultures in - but I was discussing minority cultures not inviting majority cultures in as a part of their lives when I was making my post. In that case (minority not accepting majority), I don't necessarily think that is bigotry per se. I feel majority not accepting minority could certainly be construed as bigotry in most, if not all, cases.

However, I certainly think minority cultures should recognize the fact that the majority culture in question does exist, and work with them - not against them, as may be construed by members of the majority culture - to achieve cultural understanding and co-operation.

Well, that example is a case of a majority culture not inviting minority cultures in - but I was discussing minority cultures not inviting majority cultures in as a part of their lives when I was making my post. In that case (minority not accepting majority), I don't necessarily think that is bigotry per se. I feel majority not accepting minority could certainly be construed as bigotry in most, if not all, cases.

However, I certainly think minority cultures should recognize the fact that the majority culture in question does exist, and work with them - not against them, as may be construed by members of the majority culture - to achieve cultural understanding and co-operation.

You are correct. It is a reverse situation, and the motivation is different. But we are still seeing fewer and fewer" Deaf Militants" as time goes on. Those attitudes do nothing except alientate.

My girlfriend is hearing and loves to learn ASL. I don't mind it if people wants to learn ASL. Many people learn ASL just so that they can pass their required classes for their majors. They'll learn ASL for that class, but then stop when they satisfied their requirements. I want people who have pure interest in learning ASL for personal enjoyments. Not just to pass a class.

My girlfriend and her Mom had at time thought of taking no credit ASL classes. They may or may not take those classes. My girlfriend has about 7-8 books on ASL. I don't care if she makes error with ASL. We all have to start some where. She is getting better and better every day.

I know that many deaf people don't want to slow down their ASL for those who are still learning. That is fine. That is their choice.

[...] 1. I want people who have pure interest in learning ASL for personal enjoyments. Not just to pass a class.
[...] 2. I know that many deaf people don't want to slow down their ASL for those who are still learning. That is fine. That is their choice.

1. Same here.
2. I agree - those learning ASL should educate themselves.

Back