Behavior meeting went VERY well...

Ok, gotcha now. I can see the teacher is a nurturing and well-intended person and if there are no better formal programs in your area, the current situation will have to suffice.

that's why I'm taking the steps now to get him into the Deaf Ed classroom for Kindergartin. That way not only does the teacher have experience teaching HOH/Deaf kids but also he can be around other kids like him. She even invited me to bring Chris to her class room this next week so he can play with the kids since he's never been around other hoh/deaf people

that's why I'm taking the steps now to get him into the Deaf Ed classroom for Kindergartin. That way not only does the teacher have experience teaching HOH/Deaf kids but also he can be around other kids like him. She even invited me to bring Chris to her class room this next week so he can play with the kids since he's never been around other hoh/deaf people
That's awesome! Does the Deaf Ed program also have a good speech therapist? It's good that you've hooked up with the Deaf Ed classroom. Hopefully Chris will make a lot of progress and be a lot happier in that class. So you're doing a " wait and see how he does with Deaf Ed" approach? I think that's awesome. BTW, if the Deaf Ed classroom doesn't seem to be concentrating on speech, don't yank him from the program. Instead try to find other supplemental resources. I know that with Deaf ed a common complaint is that it doesn't concentrate enough on speech.
If he gets some good quality speech therapy even for only about an hour a week, that will benifit him just as much as 24/7 therapy.

And the good thing about Deaf ed is that he'll be able to concentrate on CONTENT rather then going " boo be bah" in the speech therapist's office.

That's awesome! Does the Deaf Ed program also have a good speech therapist? It's good that you've hooked up with the Deaf Ed classroom. Hopefully Chris will make a lot of progress and be a lot happier in that class. So you're doing a " wait and see how he does with Deaf Ed" approach? I think that's awesome. BTW, if the Deaf Ed classroom doesn't seem to be concentrating on speech, don't yank him from the program. Instead try to find other supplemental resources. I know that with Deaf ed a common complaint is that it doesn't concentrate enough on speech.
If he gets some good quality speech therapy even for only about an hour a week, that will benifit him just as much as 24/7 therapy.

He's going to receive Speech Therapy an hour a day at school and then we will continue with this private speech therapy 2 hours a week

Oh, you know what? I just remembered something useful.
Chris may be behind on things, b/c he may have missed out by being mainstreamed. Don't worry about him being the same age as his peers.
Dhh kids can stay in school until they are 21. He can do two years of a "kindergarten" program.

Back