Been Good For Awhile.

aweet_princess198925

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been gone for a while. I was injured a year ago and been in recovery but I'm much better now.

Background on me, I was born hearing but when I was in the military I had a TBI and started losing my hearing. At first it was really slow and not to noticeable. Then my friends and famile notice I started saying "huh" or "what did you say" a lot. I had my hearing tested in 2011 and the audiologist said I have mild lost in my left and moderate to mild in my right. I was recommended a hearing aid for my right so I went with that. I used the hearing aid for 2 years then I noticed it really wasn't helping anymore so I went back and had a new test.

My hearing worsen and I had severe loss in my right but my left stayed the same basically. I was told about the CI in 2014 but I wasn't really too familiar with it so I just said I'll just tough it out. Early 2015 everything started to sound muffled and echo like (best I can describe it) and then I'll get a ringing in my ear then it will go away but this one day after the ringing it was just silent. I went to the audi again and that's when we talked about the CI and that a regular HA won't give me what I need at this point. So now Aug 5th I will be getting a right CI and a left HA from my insurance company.

I'm surprised that they will cover both when just a few years ago they looked at these thinks like Casmectic Procedures which is crazy. I am excited but just not knowing what to expect with the CI but it's well worth it to me. I use ASL and I will continue to use it. I am going to school to be an interpreter so I can work in hospitals. Im getting the Med El CI cause it's MRI safe and since this all started with a brain injury I have chronic headaches and sometimes need an MRI.

Many Questions just ask.

@aweet_princess198925 Welcome back and wow, thank you for sharing your story. How is the interpreter course going? How do you like it? Can I ask in your course do you guys learn with Signing naturally?

Back