Becoming Voice-Off

PaintedRain

Reaction score
I’d like to know how and why ya’ll, if any, became voice-off. Was it a conscious decision or did it just happen over time? I’m late deafened and find myself becoming more and more uncomfortable with my speech. I’ve been struggling with the decision to become voice-off for about a year now mainly because most of the people I know now knew me when I was hearing, so for me to just turn my voice off, I feel as if I’d be doing them a disservice or that I’m being rude to them since they know I CAN talk and would just be making it harder on them.

When becoming voice-off did you tell people that’s what you were doing or did it just sort of happen at some point? I’m not necessarily saying I want to become completely voice-off, I just want to find a place at which I’m comfortable. If that means turning my speech off completely, then so be it. However, I would like to keep my speech as much as possible in case of emergencies or if I decide I want to be able to talk later. I’ve never really been told how fast I’d lose my speech if I stopped using it so that worries me a little bit.

My thought was to just start out slowly and go from there. I’ve noticed one of the hardest places for me is anywhere with cashiers or when I go to the pharmacy. They always like to chit chat or ask questions and then they seem to get upset when I don’t reply even after telling them I’m Deaf. I try and let them know that they need to face me and speak clearly but when I start out using my voice they tend to not work with me to help me understand what they’re saying. Now, when I start out with a pen and paper to communicate they usually get the idea pretty quickly that I’m Deaf, then once they understand that I start talking and by that time they already understand they need to face me and speak clearly.

I guess if I were to do this I would start out with just certain public places. Then I’d become voice-off at all public places. [Public places are where I’m most uncomfortable with my speech.] Then eventually I’d start with certain people, in certain situations, or just whenever I’m too tired to concentrate on speaking. People tell me I still have really good speech and that they can’t even tell. The only time I’ve been told I have a slight ‘Deaf Accent’ is in the mornings, I usually have to practice saying a few words until I sound ‘normal’ again, or when I’m just tired or not feeling well. I guess I become lazy sometimes and just don’t concentrate so much on speech. I also tend to get an accent when I’m signing. I think because I’m focusing more on the signs as opposed to the speech.

Anyways, any info or tips ya’ll could give me on going voice-off would be so much appreciated. I’m not sure yet if I’ll go through with it but I do want to finally be comfortable in my own skin. :ty:

I'm totally in the same position as you. I just recently lost my hearing a couple of months ago, and since going deaf, I feel REALLY uncomfortable speaking not knowing what I am saying or how I sound. So, I have gone voice off for the most part.

It's definitely jarring for people who I run into either at school or when I'm home who knew me before, but once I explain it (either by speaking, so as to not be rude, or by using a pad/pen), most people seem to be accepting. I like knowing that I still know how to speak should I need to, but I'm just finding myself to be more comfortable not speaking anymore, even though I'm told I still sound relatively normal.

I'm still in transition mode, as I don't yet know ASL (I started taking classes but to be honest, haven't been able to keep up with them as much as I'd like to due to school, etc), but I'd imagine that once I know how to sign, and my friends/family learn as well, it will only make my decision to not speak seem even more correct.

-Lauren

* More voice off, the better you will improve your signing skills
* Voice off = hearing people won't keep talking to you as if you can hear, and they will actually accommodate in other ways, which will make your life easier

Cashiers or strangers: This always works for me best, if they talk to me I just put my hand over one of my ears and shake my head and they shut up pretty quick and do their job, whatever that is.

I transitioned over this last summer /voice. I limit my speaking at work and prefer emails or text. If friends and family want to communicate they now know not to phone because will not pick up. Is pointless because cannot understand. So, they adjust to text, chat, Skype or email.

In public just always use pen/paper and nobody seem to have problem with that.

Just having trouble with /voice and my kids but I'm sure we will find balance at some point so that my voice is not so tired after long days at office.

(Hope you like smileys)

I want to give a little background on myself 1st. While I am familiar with a lot of the difficulties of people born/growing up deaf (I was born with mild-to-moderate hearing loss), I am also familiar with the difficulties of people late-deafened (with mild-to moderate hearing loss, I was mainstreamed with HAs, but my hearing has declined an average of 18 decibels that cannot be accounted to normal aging effects, an average 6 decibels loss over 28 years, for a total of 24 decibel loss). I only started learning ASL in college in 2001 :cool2: (first time I learned about such a thing as signing) and kept using it with my twin sister and other signers at school, but even though I had moderately severe hearing loss at that time, I still benefited from HAs, so I spoke with everyone else. After I graduated in 2005, I moved to Virginia and didn't know anyone to sign with, so my skills deteriorated :(. When my sister moved to Virginia, we signed on and off, but not exclusively, and I still spoke with everyone else.

Then in July, I met my first deaf coworker (she was wonderful and is now sort of an unofficial mentor of mine :D and because of her I have been meeting more deaf people and picking up/using ASL again) and she introduced me to some of the interpreters my company employs (it was after that meeting that the deaf coworker and interpreters encouraged me to seek interpreters for myself :D as previously I was just accepting that I wasn't getting everything from meetings and such like everyone else). During that meeting, one of the interpreters told a story that had a huge impact on me. It was a story of a young man who made the decision to stop wearing HAs, prior to losing all benfit from them. :shock: I was shocked! I had always thought it was my obligation :roll: to wear HAs since they helped me to communicate (but still required a huge, exhausting, and sometimes failing effort on my part). I had never thought that I had a choice!

So I talked with my sister about it, talked with my closest coworkers and supervisor about it, found AllDeaf and consulted people here, and, with their support :D, made the conscious decision to stop wearing HAs. My use of HAs coincided with my use of voice since I had grown up with people not realizing I had a problem hearing since my speech was so good :roll:. That annoyed me, but I at first excused it since I was able to get by, but since over time it became harder and harder, I no longer find it excusable. Other people don't have the right to make those sort of assumptions to my detriment :mad:. So now with people I don't know, I sign/mime/write that I am deaf (if I put hoh, that has the same effect as speaking :roll:), so they cannot attribute my speech with my hearing.

I started transitioning to not using HAs/voice in August of this year (I am still in the process of transitioning). I decided to not inform general public about it, but with people who know me (family, friends, coworkers), I will be informing them about my decision. I immediately and completely stopped using HAs/voice in public (only a small whiteboard and marker with an eraser head so I don't have to buy paper so much). With phone, it was recently that my deaf coworker informed me about a deaf data phone plan (texting and internet, without need of the cost for a voice minutes plan), so I switched to that and now use texting, email, and a VRS with my new iPhone 4 :cool2:. At home with my sister, I don't use HAs/voice (unless there is a blasted movie/TV show that I really want to watch that is w/o captions, then the HAs go in). With family and friends, I am still trying to get up the nerve to write a mass email (since I want to inform them about the VRS first, so I cannot call them) and disclose to them my current condition, the decisions I've made, and the hopes I have that they will learn ASL, so I still use HAs/voice with them. At work, I don't put in my HAs except when trying to communicate with someone, however that needs to change soon.

After many tests, I've learned that my hearing dropped and is now severe sloping to profound :shock: (cannot hear conversation unaided) due to nerve damage due to my genetics and subsequently have developed hyperacusis which makes everyday sounds untolerable rather than just loud/obnoxious ones :shock: (due to my hearing loss the sounds don't bother me unless amplified or right next to my ear or loud enough for me to hear it). Since I cannot hear without hearing aids and it is too painful for me to hear with them (even with the audiologist turning the gain down low) and since my coworkers still have a problem understanding that I can't hear when I use my voice, I need to change the situation at work soon :ugh:. I am in the process at work of coming to a solution with communication, since I cannot get a designated 8 hours a day/5 days a week interpreter (only can request one for training classes, meetings, and events due to supply/demand issues that are being looked into) and there is a lot of on-the-job training left (in the form of impromptu spoken instruction versus formal training classes or demonstrations, so cannot get interpreters) and there is a huge portion of the job that requires me to communicate with my management and sometimes with coworkers where it would be too complicated/too long to do so in writing/text/email, otherwise it would detrimentally affect my productivity :mad:.

Now that I have a bunch of medical test results to back me up and answers to a lot of the questions other people have been asking :D (about what my current condition is, what effects will it have, what can be done about it, etc), I will put my foot down :squint: (respectfully for work and lovingly with friends/family) about my decision. If they will learn/use ASL or other methods to relieve my burden with communication, then I will be willing to use some voice for their benefit from time to time during their transition :cool2: (it's not like they will be able to learn ASL overnight :giggle:).

I encourage you to at least try going voice off, I know it has benefited me tremendously and it may give you some peace of mind too. I don't know how much information/tips are in this long-@$$ email, but I hope it has helped. :thumb:

Something i'm looking into ( not for voice off but other reasons) is the Boogie Board, it's an lcd writing tablet. I think that would work too, if you didn't want to use a whiteboard. Of course... The white board is cheaper. :)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y6M4NM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=AGDPRO53CEC7G]Amazon.com: Boogie Board LCD Writing Tablet with Stylus Holder: Brookstone[/ame]

My voice is reserved for Family when we visit them and for yelling at my kids when then are doing something they are not supposed to. I find most strangers don't understand my voice or make the effort to understand. Americans in general are very lazy listeners...
I never know if I am speaking to loud or to soft and obviously I cannnot judge the level of background noise.

My voice is reserved for Family when we visit them and for yelling at my kids when then are doing something they are not supposed to. I find most strangers don't understand my voice or make the effort to understand. Americans in general are very lazy listeners...
I never know if I am speaking to loud or to soft and obviously I cannnot judge the level of background noise.

ha did you go to a mainstreamed school?

Never had the desire to go voice off. And have been deaf for 50 years. I enjoy the challenge of learning to speak words that I don't normally use. Also, I use ASL, so I go both ways.

As a bilateral DEAF person since December 20, 2006 I have not desire to become "voice off". :wave:I understand from Thomas Merton-Trappist monks live this way. Similar motives?

Is the reason a "subtle hint" that ones' friends should "learn/use" ASL to "communicate" with you?:wave:

I've been voice off since elementary school due to the fact I cannot hear what I'm saying. I get embrassed when I'm with a deaf friend that isn't voice off and speaks out in public and hearing people don't even get what she is saying most of the time. Also I've seen another deaf person I grew up with thruout school which was mainstream of course, he would get really frustrated and mad at everything in life just because he cannot understand why everyone makes fun of him when he speaks out. He still is this way to this day today. I blame his parents mainly for forcing him and his sister who is the same friend as mentioned in this post in the 2nd sentence.

To use oral and speak only no sign. They were cold to do that to them. Yet his sister has improved speech since then and moved on with life and is doing great today! However he is still wallowing in self pity and delusional not letting anyone at all help him. He won't listen to his own sister either.
Everytime they try guiding him to the light he throws a tantrum and gets pissed. Riduclous sore loser he is indeed. Any idea what's up with him?? I've had to put him in his place a few times before for beating on his sister. It's riduclous!

Back