Bearing Deaf Children

me_punctured

Reaction score
I have no intentions of becoming a parent anytime soon, as I have other more pressing goals to achieve first. But the day shall arrive when I do become a parent. Like the majority of deaf children born to hearing parents, I'm the only deaf person in my family on both sides. I have a high likelihood of producing deaf children, due to the fact that I carry a dominant gene that may or may not result in non-progressive deafness to varying degrees. The prospect of being a "matriarch" of future generations of deaf progency is very exciting, I'll admit it readily.

Does anybody else here have a good chance of producing deaf children? Has the fact influenced your thoughts about becoming a parent in the future? And if you're already a d/Deaf parent with at least one deaf child, did you have any conflicting thoughts about it before you started your family?

I have two HofH children. I have 3 girls.
I knew when my middlest was having problems
with her speech that she was possibly HofH. However
when we found out the little one was HofH it took me
by shock. I found out both the same day. I admit I had
a really good cry that day. But then I realized, God put them
with me because I knew exactly what needed to be done. He
knew I would be a powerful advocate for them. I have experience
and knowledge about hearing loss so, in the process of my grief I
was to take it all in stride to make sure that they got the best.

Would I do it all over again? You Betcha!
When my 3 year old comes home with a "new sign" it's
reliving a "new spoken word." All over again. She is so fluent
in ASL. She does incredibly well, and her middlest sister is also.
They support each other awesomely!

My twin sister and I are the only deaf in the entire family, and when I first found out I was pregnant, the doctor told me I may have deaf children but it turn out all of them are hearing, so it's depends really, most of my deaf friends have all hearing children as well too, one of them have all deaf in the entire family but only to have hearing children of their own.... :dunno:

Back