Bear with me, a little rant. I won't do it often, I promise.

I know how you feel..I really hate the clapping part. People used to do that to me as a kid and it was humiliating. I suggest you tell those people who do it to quit it because they could be hurting your child's self esteem by doing that.

Vent all you want...we are here to help because we know what it is like!

:gpost: :gpost:

It is about time that you make the comment right. I am applauding you for what you said. That make me very proud of you. Yay!!!! :cool2: :D

We have always embraced our daughter's deafness as part of who she is, just like any of her personality or physical features. BUT, we also chose a cochlear implant for the dozens of reasons I have written about in other threads.

Oh yes, I feel you. Sometimes, it's hard to make people understand what they just don't want to believe. I guess they're trying to be positive, but the effect is mirroring. It is a good idea to start signing to her now. I can just imagine the people clapping. I used to have people yell at me and say stupid things like "HELLO...CAN YOU HEAR ME?...". And if you react, they say something like 'you're not deaf see". And if you don't react, they just stare at you. Explain to your family and friends her condition so that they don't frighten her.

Back