bbaseballboy's experience at Gallaudet KnowledgeforCollege camp

Glad you're taking ASL. Hope this takes you onto a new journey. :)

Yep. I can't wait to hear about all the lightbulbs that are going to be going on over his head! Gally was just the first one!

bbaseballboy, based on your experiance do you think a good idea for educational programming for CI and hoh kids would be for schools and programs for the dhh to offer American Sign Language as a Second Language approach? I'm NOT saying to take the " deaf kids can learn sign after they've had a go at speech." approach. I strongly believe that if possible the gross majority of dhh kids should be raised with both spoken language and sign. However, there's still the fact that there are a lot of functionally hoh kids who while they don't desperately need ASL due to a spoken language delay, could still strongly benifit from ASL as a second language.
(ie crowd situtions, the fact that the world is not a soundbooth etc)

bbaseballboy, based on your experiance do you think a good idea for educational programming for CI and hoh kids would be for schools and programs for the dhh to offer American Sign Language as a Second Language approach? I'm NOT saying to take the " deaf kids can learn sign after they've had a go at speech." approach. I strongly believe that if possible the gross majority of dhh kids should be raised with both spoken language and sign. However, there's still the fact that there are a lot of functionally hoh kids who while they don't desperately need ASL due to a spoken language delay, could still strongly benifit from ASL as a second language.
(ie crowd situtions, the fact that the world is not a soundbooth etc)

Even before the camp, I was disappointed that my high school does not support ASL. Especially when the school is in the top 1000 high schools in the country. I dont take a second lang cause.. well I use "im deaf excuse" but its really cause I'm lazy to learn it.

But I agree that many high schools should allow students to take ASL since it is a lang other than "oral english". What I think the schools are struggling is that they see ASL as an easy course as its basically "English in sign"

I love being oral, i'm oral all the time, dont even read peoples lips, just hear, talk, and people dont realize im deaf cause i dont "talk deaf". But now i wished I grew up with ASL knowledge cause it helps you learn English easier and I have "okay" reading and vacab knowledge.

So yes I agree, anyone in deafies, should learn ASL even if they're taking on Oral as primary communication like me.

Yep. I can't wait to hear about all the lightbulbs that are going to be going on over his head! Gally was just the first one!

whats that suppose to mean. Sure I learned alot about the deaf culture but i still prefer to be oral, sorry. But dont get me wrong, the deaf culture is very cool

Even before the camp, I was disappointed that my high school does not support ASL. Especially when the school is in the top 1000 high schools in the country. I dont take a second lang cause.. well I use "im deaf excuse" but its really cause I'm lazy to learn it.

But I agree that many high schools should allow students to take ASL since it is a lang other than "oral english". What I think the schools are struggling is that they see ASL as an easy course as its basically "English in sign"

I love being oral, i'm oral all the time, dont even read peoples lips, just hear, talk, and people dont realize im deaf cause i dont "talk deaf". But now i wished I grew up with ASL knowledge cause it helps you learn English easier and I have "okay" reading and vacab knowledge.

So yes I agree, anyone in deafies, should learn ASL even if they're taking on Oral as primary communication like me.

whats that suppose to mean. Sure I learned alot about the deaf culture but i still prefer to be oral, sorry. But dont get me wrong, the deaf culture is very cool

Not quite what I meant. What I meant is say they offered a hoh friendly Deaf Ed program. Like instead of being a solotaire streamer, you got to attend a Deaf program attached to a hearing school. The Deaf program would offer good speech therapy, and things like auditory training (like the type of programming you would have seen at Clarke/CID/Moog/St. Josephs) but ALSO have ASL and a lot of dhh peers. Would you have liked to attend a program like that, instead of being a solotaire? Especially for upper grades? (which is when a lot of problems crop up?)

Not quite what I meant. What I meant is say they offered a hoh friendly Deaf Ed program. Like instead of being a solotaire streamer, you got to attend a Deaf program attached to a hearing school. The Deaf program would offer good speech therapy, and things like auditory training (like the type of programming you would have seen at Clarke/CID/Moog/St. Josephs) but ALSO have ASL and a lot of dhh peers. Would you have liked to attend a program like that, instead of being a solotaire? Especially for upper grades? (which is when a lot of problems crop up?)

Dont many deaf kids go to both deaf and mainstream edus?

I personally have one of the best "mainstream" deaf educations in the country, with probably one of the best teacher of the deaf for the mainstream

I havent really had any auditory training in years.

Dont many deaf kids go to both deaf and mainstream edus?

I personally have one of the best "mainstream" deaf educations in the country, with probably one of the best teacher of the deaf for the mainstream

I havent really had any auditory training in years.

I think I remember that a significent percentage of dhh kids are enrolled in those regional deaf programs. And if I recall correctly it is kind of unusual for a kid to be enrolled from preschool to kindergarten at a Deaf School. Most Deaf School kids are products of the mainstream, right?
I'm not bashing the mainstream. Just wondering if you would have liked the addition of Deaf stuff, especially in elementary school. I mean it does sound like you're the perfect example of a minimal accomondations approach working. I mean from what you've said you haven't even had any social issues. (which is AMAZING) Like you don't even have the accomodnation of pre and post teaching right? Basicly your accomondations were front row seating, notetaker etc right? I mean the thing is...it does seem like a lot of oral kids do well until around 4th grade
But I'm hypothesizing, and just asking. What if you could have had your current mainstream education, but also have had the advantage of a regional dhh program or going to a dhh magnet program?

Back