Battle for the best VRS services provider

Dismal Shadow

"Yours. Not mine."
Premium Member
Reaction score
While searching for a best VRS provider for your personal needs which we wanted the most "picture quality and interpreter" and fast answer calls. To say the least I'm not satisfied with SorensonVrs even thought they were called the best VRS service (no offense Sorenson user) they took us forever waiting for them to answer, I switch to CSDVRS and man was I impressed. CSDVRS had a new feature, the free personal 800 numbers for hearing people.You only need one number while Sorenson require 2. Plus they are fast at answering your call. I haven't tried other VRS provier(companies) as well which is why I need your suggestions or options and why you like them. To tell you the truth I don't often use VP because I travel alot so i was looking for a good VRS on PC...Anyway vote away
Here are some of them:
1.AT&T VRS
2.CACVRS
3.CADVRS
4.CSDVRS
5.Hamilton VRS
6.HOVRS(Hands On VRS)
7.Hawk Relay VRS
8.i711 VRS
9.IP-Relay VRS
10.Lifelinks VRS
11.Sorenson VRS
12.Snap VRS
13.Viable VRS
14.Sprint VRS
15.Federal VRS

I have not tried any VRS provider mentioned above other than Sorenson VRS.

Three more VRS, I know total of 18 VRS industries at this time. I didn't get all the names, but I know the number at this time.

Three more VRS, I know total of 18 VRS industries at this time. I didn't get all the names, but I know the number at this time.

Why don't you post it here and share it with us? We all like open options and share it with our people.

Come on you guys, let's keep this thread alive. PowerOn is right, none of the VRS provider is the best at least we can figure who had better features and better services support.Fire away guys and post what you think and your options about your favorite VRS provider and why. Your options does matter...Good luck

I m sticking to SVRS!

Why Sticking to SVRS? Well, they got the largest terp base, meaning I will have better chance hit highly qualified terps than any others. If I hit so so terp at SVRS, I know they are on training wheels to be top qualified terp. I believe in giving everybody fair share to become the best.

I once used Hamilton, not anymore. They were better long time ago than now.

I don't recall the names of all 18 VRS companies but I DO know it is 18, maybe more by now, who knows?

DHB

Video Relay Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Click on the link and you will see international listing of all VRS.

I love CSDVRS's personal 800 number because its one number to give out to my co-workers. I get a lot phone calls daily. And I never explained how to use VRS. The interpreter do the rest.

It has VP-alert: If someone dials my personal 800 number, it will send a email to my pager. (I use email into sms)

It has caller id (Who just called): If I did not answer my phone as I was away, it will send me an email to let me know that a sign mail was sent to my computer email.

It has many other features that you can use.

Another nice feature CSDVRS has to offer. If hearing person want to give you phone number or email or any data that you need to know... Video Interpreter (AKA VI) will type and display on the screen. It does not matter which videophone you uses. Very easy for us to see the information.

Even CSDVRS has V-meeting. If we wanted to participate conference calls with hearing people. And we have two or more deaf individual, we can get conference code and call in with interpreter. One for each deaf and listen in speaker phone. I can voice for myself as interpreter voices me alone. Everyone on other side will know who is speaking.

I know Hovrs do have V-meeting. But others is unknown.

FYI... the 10 digits was proposed by CSDVRS to FCC. They want to make full communication accessible. They are poineer of the VRS. Always seeking excellent services and pushing the bars. That where personal 800 was the trial testing to see if we like it. It leads to the FCC 10 digit and resolve it.

So CSDVRS is all about services and meeting our needs. Why... they cares. That what they keep telling me. Their motto is "We cares".

Even have Spanish under CSDVRS and HOVRS... not sure about others yet. We should make VRS matrix of what provided from each vrs.

Last edited:
1.AT&T VRS
2.CACVRS
3.CADVRS (correction affiliated with CSDVRS)
4.CSDVRS
5.Hamilton VRS
6.HOVRS(Hands On VRS) (under Go America)
7.Hawk Relay VRS
8.i711 VRS (under Go America)
9.IP-Relay VRS (under Go America)
10.Lifelinks VRS
11.Sorenson VRS (aka Microsoft vs Netscape)
12.Snap VRS
13.Viable VRS
14.Sprint VRS (under Go America)
15.Federal VRS (ummm... this is similar to govvrs.tv from CSDVRS but who is providing the interpreter? Sprint and Hovrs?)

I believe there are 9 main VRS that provide full 24/7 services. While rest VRS are 9-5 VRS and makes contract with main VRS for overnight shifts. So you will need to check to see if your current VRS is 24/7 or contract overnight. They might work with your enemy.

Each VRS are responsible for customer services of their own services.

So CSDVRS is all about services and meeting our needs. Why... they cares. That what they keep telling me. Their motto is "We cares".

Right on! And that's all that matter. Plus I think the CSDVRS support the FCC. Keep it up guys. Hit and post more so people will understand which VRS provider they want and services they wants for their needs. We review this and by REAL peoples like us.

Regards Nathan

VRS Provider Website IP Address/Phone number for VP or others

1. AT&T, Inc. http://www.attvrs.com/ attvrs.tv

2. Communication Access for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Inc. http://www.cacvrs.org/ cacvrs.tv

3. CSDVRS, LLC CSDVRS csdvrs.tv (Features: Personal 800 numbers for both English and Spanish, VP Alert)

4. Hamilton Telecommunications, Inc. Hamilton Relay - That's what I'm talking about hamiltonvrs.tv

5. Hands On Video Relay Service, Inc. http://www.hovrs.com/ hovrs.tv (features: Spanish and English VRS services. Sign 2.0 web cam program. Soon new MVP product and Sign 3.0.)

6. Hawk Relay, LLC Hawk Relay hawkrelay.tv

7. GoAmerica Communications, Corp. (i711.com) i711.com - Relay & Beyond i711vrs.tv

8. LifeLinks, LLC Video Relay Services - VRS - Lifelinks! 69.18.207.166

9. NXi Communications, Inc. NXi Communications Inc. - Home Page (2001-2007) Go to NexTalk.net Home Page to download video software

10. Snap Telecommunications, Inc. Snap!VRS Video Relay Services | Sign Language Telephone Communication call.snapvrs.com

11. Sorenson Communications, Inc. Sorenson Communications - Connecting You 18663278877 (i2eye) or SVRS.tv (vp100 or vp200)

12. Sprint Nextel, Corp. Sprint VRS - Home Page sprintvrs.tv

13. Verizon Communications, Inc. (IP-VRS.com)* IP-VRS ip-vrs.tv (recently purchased by Go America #7)

14. Viable, Inc. Viable.net Homepage viablevrs.tv (feature: VPAD and webcam program)

Source: Video Relay Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Needless to say Hovrs is becoming a rising star and may become #1 but not now but when that time comes we need to be prepare for it. I love CSDVRS, HOVRS, VIABLE, SNAPVRS, (dunno what my 5th will be) They are my top 5 favorite provider. It seem they are getting better as time goes on. I mean look at HOVRS's MVP challenging VIABLE's VPAD and SNAP's OJO. I mean wow, they are tough decisions to make which make you wanna be their #1 VRS provider. I mean come on, this war will never end and Soreson is running out of time before they shut down the business.

hmm.. only I can say that I seem like HOVRS which work well with iChat but sometime, it refuse connect to get video appear. Depend on network setting. That bites.

Are you sure about that SVRS? SVRS is 80 percent on market while other VRS are less marketing.

Sorenson has easy and friend user for sign mail and another feature that suppose come out soon. The feature that they are working on something easier just like CSDVRS has offer while SVRS make keep simple. The simple is videophone do update itself for new ip address and easier for hearing people to call us if they once release Toll Free number. No more updating the IP Address like other VRS do or need update. I don't trust any VRS software to installed on my computer due private.

Second... I fond the Viable.net due their software program for webcam is great while Sorenson has Envision SL went out of date.

I try HOVRS, cheap... Try CSDVRS... cheap... SprintVRS cheap.. why?? They are same service in case you haven't notice?

I like i711 but same face become know who I am. So I stick with SVRS due various face.

I don't like "FAST Service" is similar as fast food...

Are you sure about that SVRS? SVRS is 80 percent on market while other VRS are less marketing.

Sorenson has easy and friend user for sign mail and another feature that suppose come out soon. The feature that they are working on something easier just like CSDVRS has offer while SVRS make keep simple. The simple is videophone do update itself for new ip address and easier for hearing people to call us if they once release Toll Free number. No more updating the IP Address like other VRS do or need update. I don't trust any VRS software to installed on my computer due private.

Second... I fond the Viable.net due their software program for webcam is great while Sorenson has Envision SL went out of date.

I try HOVRS, cheap... Try CSDVRS... cheap... SprintVRS cheap.. why?? They are same service in case you haven't notice?

I like i711 but same face become know who I am. So I stick with SVRS due various face.

I don't like "FAST Service" is similar as fast food...

In case you haven't noticed it's not about marketing, I mean who cares? It's all about service while SVRS provide bad service and we all know that.(no offensive) SorensonVRS may have won in marketing but it's just business but it doesn't mean they are best because they have 80% in marketing? I mean come... we all know better than that. I have use SVRS for a while and man I have to say they DO sucks. Plus if u haven't been to CSDVRS website, there already a personal free #800 numbers while other services haven't have that feature, it's #800 features the 10 digital numbers like hearing people do and they also support the FCC database, like I say it's all about services and what they can provide. We all can't trust any VRS but that's how businesses work like phones and cellphones which is why we depend on some companies and what they can provide, it's not bad to try differences companies and pick what you sees fit for your personal needs and services. Ok guys back to topics.

The 10 digits that FCC are working on... that will change everything. The videophone device will not control us but the service we choose.

FCC are empowering us to choose which vrs to us and making communication accessible.

I just wish that Sorenson will change their mind and sell the videophone as default. So people can buy the videophone than have to wait forever. If buy, means they can produce the device faster for business demands is high.

However, with the 10 digit from FCC, will sorenson be able to continue control the market share? Will we be free from sorenson's device? Of course Sorenson has nice features on videophone but the future are changing and now more LCD tv, sorenson are not designed for on top of LCD tv. Means the VP 300 will need to look like webcam on top of tv?

Viable VPAD is another start and selling is a good way to allow the market decide which is best product. I surely hope HOVRS will sell the MVP because I want to buy a few than only own one free MVP.

I want to be fully equal to hearing people with their phone. They have 5 phone in the house with same phone number. Why can we do the same. I would love to have VP in my kitchen, living room, office, bedroom, intercom etc... And all run on same phone number. If I am in kitchen when someone calls and I can simply answer there. That a true freedom.

Right now we do not have freedom of have several same product in the house with same phone number. All are individual and force us to be stuck in one room. I did suggested this idea to FCC to see if they will develop rules about that. I surely hope they do that with 10 digits as well.

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to the proper location.

The 10 digits that FCC are working on... that will change everything. The videophone device will not control us but the service we choose.

FCC are empowering us to choose which vrs to us and making communication accessible.

I just wish that Sorenson will change their mind and sell the videophone as default. So people can buy the videophone than have to wait forever. If buy, means they can produce the device faster for business demands is high.

However, with the 10 digit from FCC, will sorenson be able to continue control the market share? Will we be free from sorenson's device? Of course Sorenson has nice features on videophone but the future are changing and now more LCD tv, sorenson are not designed for on top of LCD tv. Means the VP 300 will need to look like webcam on top of tv?

Viable VPAD is another start and selling is a good way to allow the market decide which is best product. I surely hope HOVRS will sell the MVP because I want to buy a few than only own one free MVP.

I want to be fully equal to hearing people with their phone. They have 5 phone in the house with same phone number. Why can we do the same. I would love to have VP in my kitchen, living room, office, bedroom, intercom etc... And all run on same phone number. If I am in kitchen when someone calls and I can simply answer there. That a true freedom.

Right now we do not have freedom of have several same product in the house with same phone number. All are individual and force us to be stuck in one room. I did suggested this idea to FCC to see if they will develop rules about that. I surely hope they do that with 10 digits as well.

Well done, well say. I have to agree with you there buddy, it's quite true but I have to disagree with the Vpad, I mean come on...who will able to buy the Vpad? The price seem way too high, $700? Who are we kidding? Who will able to afford this? At least MVP is smaller and more portable which make it perfect for lady's pulse. And yet it's free and yeah it's worth the wait. And if u wanted to product to sell so we could buy more than one quality and can't wait for the product, u should contract Sorenson and HOVRS's MVP about this and address this.

The 10 digits that FCC are working on... that will change everything. The videophone device will not control us but the service we choose. I want to be fully equal to hearing people with their phone. They have 5 phone in the house with same phone number. Why can we do the same. I would love to have VP in my kitchen, living room, office, bedroom, intercom etc... And all run on same phone number. If I am in kitchen when someone calls and I can simply answer there. That a true freedom.

We should address this to the FCC, I am sure they did want to hear about this. Good posting buddy.

Ok back to topics guys, Come on guys give me your all and tell us your options. YOUR OPTIONS MATTER, BECAUSE WE CARES :D

Hi all, I can say one thing,,,it is very confusing to me, a new VP user, to know who is the best and what to do about keeping VP company.
For example, this is my experience:
I have been on CSDVRS list for almost 9 months waiting for them to contact me... Sorensen set me up the same day (in Jan.) I saw them at a Deaf Service Bureau I was intern at...now,, I have Sorensen, but HOVRS called me on VP and asked me to change or go to them (told me they are also wireless?).....
I am happy with Sorensen ,, so how does a person know who to stay or go with ? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. I am also Hard of Hearing and maybe didn't understand HOVRS that well,,, I am beg. - mod. knowledge of ASL (still learning).

Back