Bathroom garbage Dangers

sunsetlover

Reaction score
Beware of what you throw away in garbage in general.. Just wanted to share what happened to a friend of mine's cat years ago..

The cat was dead and nobody knew why. Later they found out cat has been swallowing dental floss from garbage. So it acted like a saw in the stomach.

How? -- Imagine this:

You swallow a long piece of floss and it goes down your digestive system and kinds of cut up your stomach in the process and probably your intestines too. Or even imagine something soft like a play dough and tie it up with floss. It will act like a knife and cut it up, right? Similar thing applies to floss inside pets who accident swallow it.

Of course there's all random sorts of dangers in garbage. I'd suggest beware of what you throw in garbage or at least hopefully keep it out of reach of pets or use a tightly closed garbage can.

Love your pets & take good care of them. After all they make great lifelong companions! :)

Good post!...I'm careful with my garbage too...and keep all my trash cans dumped daily and out into closed, tightly garbage cans. If ever I see my doggie or cat "sniffing around" the garage, I clap my hands and say "No, No!"...and they run....

My main concern is people throwing chicken bones into the yard, (not throwing them into the trash cans)...my doggie has brought in a few...I scold her, take it away and throw it into the trash...Chicken bones are deadly....and it really pisses me off that humans throw things into my yard!...I even scolded a child for throwing down a potato chip bag in the street the other day....saying that there was "no need" to trash this plant anymore than it already is....and pick up your trash and put it into a trash bag".....and the child did....

I agree with the need to be soooo careful with garbage and pets! We have 2 garbage containers in the dog areas, but one is enclosed under the sink and one is in the laundry room off the kitchen. The laundry room has a sliding door you pull across. The dog areas are mostly the kitchen, great room/family room and what we use as the actual "dog room". Dog room was planned as a dining room in the house originally and previous owners used it as an office. When we walked through during pre-offer visit, we scouted out what would be the "dog room" in the new house. So we have dog crates in there, and a veterinary scale, dog books dog storage shelving and Rubbermaid-type standing dresser thing. We have a gate preventing unlimited access to the rest of the house, which is not currently dog-proofed.

At our old house in a more urban area, in our yard we sometimes found cooked chicken bones or other meat leftovers <raw bones aren't generally an issue> from neighboring restaurants and convenience stores; also found candy wrappers and sometimes candy bars, other trash, string, foil etc...once we had cops running all over in ours and neigbors yard's cuz a suspect they were chasing dropped heroin in a yard - whose it was, they didn't know. So we potentially had missing drugs in our yard. That was somewhat of a scene. Yup, they found it - wasn't in our own yard, though.

This is why I keep my bathroom door closes all the time. My daughter and granddaughter are coming over so I better dump out bathroom wastebasket because they forget to keep the door closes. Thanks for reminding me to do this!

what ever is this floss made of,i thought it just degrade or excreted out if swallowed.certainly something to think about...
i stopped using bin in bathroom for same reason if granson here.everything go direct to big bins

Got to think twice and remember not everything always degrades in landfill either.. Probably why people are insisting on us to recycle & etc instead of doing it in the first place years ago.. :p

I have an almmost 1 year old mini daschund and now I gotta keep trash cans off the floor and other things out of her reach.. Then I also recall how sneaky dogs can be with kitchen garbage cans too! :P And even cats! :p I had one that enjoys pushing everything off any surface.. Of course makes cleaning an endless chore but at least its something to do! :)

Got to think twice and remember not everything always degrades in landfill either.. Probably why people are insisting on us to recycle & etc instead of doing it in the first place years ago.. :p

I have an almmost 1 year old mini daschund and now I gotta keep trash cans off the floor and other things out of her reach.. Then I also recall how sneaky dogs can be with kitchen garbage cans too! :P And even cats! :p I had one that enjoys pushing everything off any surface.. Of course makes cleaning an endless chore but at least its something to do! :)

Yeah...our Cat was "so smart", he would jump onto the counter top while we were sleeping and knock over the dog treats all over the floor (for the hell of it I'm guessing, or to make me and the doggie mad)...I had to put all the treats into the enclosed cabinets...now I've got some tuberware for them and a child-proof lid....:giggle:...he's not that smart....*yet*

Back