Baseball/Football/Soccer Games

contradica

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one that has gone to a baseball game or a
football game could tell me how they hear with their CI at a loud game? I just
went to my yearly NY Yankees game and this year would be the last year
that I would hear with a hearing aid. I was wondering if there is a
difference.... anyone care to shed some light on it?

There has to be some sports fans here :)

I went to lowes speedway and they are alway louder (talking, yelling, cars, etc...) unstoppable... it should be same as basketball or any sports fans are very loud. Its hard to block that annoy sound coming from the fan behind me geez.

Well, the biggest difference for me was that I can "hear" over the crowd noises and understand speech pretty well. To give an example, I got the opportunity to see U of MD (I'm a turtle fan!!!) play Duke at Cameron Stadium the year before last. Anybody who knows college basketball knows that Cameron is one noisy and crazy place. There were four of us and I'm sitting on the outside with my CI away from the rest of them. I had very little trouble making out my friend to my left (my CI is on my right side) during the hoopla. That was a very nice discovery! Compared to my HA days, the difference is as day and night.

It really depends on the loudness and type of noises that can be problematical. Most of the time it is not a problem for me. In fact, when they tested me before I got my CI and afterwards, they noticed that I hear pretty good in noise. They couldn't quite figure that one out since it is not a normal thing for most HOH types. Everybody is different...not everybody can hear as well in noise as others can.

Well, the biggest difference for me was that I can "hear" over the crowd noises and understand speech pretty well.

I couldn't hear much speech at all and I had everyone to the right of me which is the side I wear my hearing aid on. I was lipreading to get by the entire time. I was kind of hoping that someone would say that they could at LEAST hear the person next to them.

I couldn't hear much speech at all and I had everyone to the right of me which is the side I wear my hearing aid on. I was lipreading to get by the entire time. I was kind of hoping that someone would say that they could at LEAST hear the person next to them.

WHile it wasn't a game I did attend a 50th bd party that was held in a noisy bar, complete with a dj and all those people yakking away. I could hear the people I sat near and talked to, it was pretty hard tho. I will say that at that time I was participating in a programming trial so the programs weren't necessarily what I would have chosen on my own. With what I have now I can hear quite a bit, much more then when I had the HA's.

Oh yes it is MUCH louder in a game.. I go to basketball, football and baseball games and the games are louder and my comprehension of people screaming int eh game is much better. I could localize the screaming and what they were able to say. As opposed to in the past.

Good thing you can always turn the sound down a bit on the CI

I don't have the AB, but you'll probably get a program that will help you hear better in noisy situations such as at the stadium. With the Freedom for example, I would either switch the program to autosensitivity or operate in Adro with the sensitivity turned right down. I think also Beam is designed for talking to individuals in noisy situations too but I found the compression a bit too much. I might try it again though.

The other thing is that loud noises are not quite as bothersome as with hearing aids. With hearing aids I used to physically feel the effect of being in a noisy environment but with CIs I come away feeling less tired and overwhelmed.

I have fond memories of going to a baseball match in Toronto, where some of my relatives live. It was very good fun!!

I went to lowes speedway and they are alway louder (talking, yelling, cars, etc...) unstoppable... it should be same as basketball or any sports fans are very loud. Its hard to block that annoy sound coming from the fan behind me geez.

You live in Charlotte NC? Did you just go there for NASCAR?

Contradica,

My daughter was just at Yankee stadium Friday night--missed A-Rod's 500th by one game! I'll ask her about the noise but in all honesty, the Stadium is very, very loud. If they are not blasting music or something over the PA, you still have 50000 plus loud Yankee fans!

We have a Friday night ticket plan and I usually go with my two nephews and while I can hear the person next to me, I have a real hard time understanding the person who is two seats away from me. Its just soooo noisy. I have to look directly at them. If I am watching the game, I will miss what they are saying.
Rick

I was wondering if any one that has gone to a baseball game or a
football game could tell me how they hear with their CI at a loud game? I just
went to my yearly NY Yankees game and this year would be the last year
that I would hear with a hearing aid. I was wondering if there is a
difference.... anyone care to shed some light on it?

There has to be some sports fans here :)

Not sure if this is much help to you, but I found that autosensitivity worked quite well with my last motorcycle which had a loud muffler. :) The one I have now is pretty quiet, my BIL's is really loud but it doesn't hurt my ears. Hubby's is kinda loud that to is ok through the CI. And I can hear while talking riding side by side (which we rarely do) Anyway I think you'll be surprised and happy at the next game you're at after activation. :)

Back