Ban on deaf drivers under review

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20051102p2a00m0na023000c.html

A group of deaf people is asking the National Police Agency (NPA) to allow people with hearing impairments to obtain driver's licenses, claiming that safety is not an issue.

Most industrialized countries don't restrict people that are hard of hearing from getting driver's licenses for standard vehicles.

"We need cars in our private lives and for our jobs. We would like to take part in society," an official of the Japan Federation of The Deaf said.

Until recently, Japan's Road Traffic Law totally banned the deaf from obtaining driver's licenses.

But Japan's legal world has been reviewing license regulations for physically handicapped people. The Road Traffic Law was revised in 2001, and the ban on deaf people partially lifted.

But a regulation remains requiring successful driver-license candidates to be able to hear a 90-decibel sound from 10 meters away.

"When you are at the wheel, you may need to judge traffic conditions by sirens and horns of speeding vehicles," an NPA official said. "We cannot say that hearing disabilities are totally unrelated to safe driving."

At the request of the NPA, the International Association of Traffic and Safety Sciences carried out a survey to find that deaf people were allowed to obtain standard licenses, equivalent to a first-degree driver's license in Japan, in the United States, Britain, Germany, France and Australia.

It is believed that 80 to 90 percent of information required for driving is obtained visually.

Therefore, those countries allow deaf people to get a car license unless they suffer another disability.

France requires deaf drivers to set extra mirrors on their cars.

"Why aren't deaf people allowed to get a license? They can understand the movement of speeding vehicles by looking at other cars," said Yutaka Osugi, a top secretary of the federation.

The NPA is studying the issue and will draw a conclusion in fiscal 2005.

Japan is not the only country that is doing that to the deafies as I know there are some other countries who is doing the same and it makes me mad :mad2:

THAT'S RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!

Well then ppl who wear glasses or contacts shouldn't drive either coz even with them they can't see 100%, and who knows their contacts of glasses could fall off, rendering them blind for a few seconds. While we're at it let's put amputees on the list too, b/c we all know you need 2 sets of limbs to drive.

THIS MAKES ME SO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD!! STupid 'perfect' people and their need to 'perfectfy' the world. AHHH!!!!!!!!! Maybe they should also throw racial reasons in there, like black people shouldn't drive coz come darkness, we may not be able to see them inside their cars.

This is getting really pathetic. The length that ppl will go for the STUPIDEST reasons!

get a grip.

i am deaf and i got a motorcycle drivers licence(750 cc and up)on my first try!

in a country that is the best in the world of caring for handicapped people, it seems harsh,but it is rarly enforced.most of the time any person who has a problem along with being deaf,such as ms ,cp, seisers....ect..the deafness is used as a the reason ...to saveface.

i know it sounds stupid...but,do you want to tell your freinds you cant drive becouse you make pass out and kill everybody, or tell them the dumb law says no because you can not hear?
they are not americans...and do not think like americans...there are rules that seem so dumb to us ,but make sence to them.

kinda like the US law of spitting on the side walks.....it is a against the law to do so...but no one cares.the cops do it to..

in japan they think that law is stupid!!! why do you need a law to stop you from being discusting and rude in public!?! it is dirty spreads disease!
no one spits there.......every body does is here.....and it breaks the law...go figure...

I recalled that I dropped off an international student at his home, he asked me about an inside view mirror which is huge. He said that he can't drive at all in his country. He said that I got a permission from DMV like getting mirrors like that. I just laughed, I said that it's for police :P I met several international students that cannot drive in their countries. Be grateful that we're living in this country. Hopefully, countries would drop this ban soon.

I didn't know that France required like extra mirrors. I understand why he asked me about that.

us law

did you look at the requirments for deaf people here? you must have both side view mirrors and a center mirror if you have a back window..hearing drivers only need a rear veiw.

meaning if you own a ferrari...you need to shell outr an extra $ 500 bucks for the other mirror....

if you have a motorcycle you must have 2 mirrors, hearing people...only the one.

Breezy said:
THAT'S RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!

Well then ppl who wear glasses or contacts shouldn't drive either coz even with them they can't see 100%, and who knows their contacts of glasses could fall off, rendering them blind for a few seconds. While we're at it let's put amputees on the list too, b/c we all know you need 2 sets of limbs to drive.

THIS MAKES ME SO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD!! STupid 'perfect' people and their need to 'perfectfy' the world. AHHH!!!!!!!!! Maybe they should also throw racial reasons in there, like black people shouldn't drive coz come darkness, we may not be able to see them inside their cars.

This is getting really pathetic. The length that ppl will go for the STUPIDEST reasons!

Calm Down. There is no point for you to get pissed. If you feel they are discriminating your rights then file ADA. That is so SIMPLE.

vfr said:
did you look at the requirments for deaf people here? you must have both side view mirrors and a center mirror if you have a back window..hearing drivers only need a rear veiw.

Here in Canada, it's all 3 mirrors that are required for everybody. Not just the deafies.

I never heard of such a law for the deaf being required to have more mirrors than the hearing drivers.

Banjo said:
Here in Canada, it's all 3 mirrors that are required for everybody. Not just the deafies.

I never heard of such a law for the deaf being required to have more mirrors than the hearing drivers.
South Carolina requires three mirrors for Deaf drivers, and it is listed on their driver's license.

Each state has different requirements.

I remember when I was in NJ, we had no such law that required us to have a passenger side mirror. Then my best friend commented to me one day, that in California, that kind of car would be "illegal" for a deaf person to drive, as law requires them to have a passenger side mirror. I was surprised. As far as I know, I haven't heard anything about it in Utah. But many car nowadays have three mirrors anyhow, that it is not even an issue anymore.

my state requires side mirrors for deaf drivers according to my driver license.

Back