Balance Issues

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
this might not be in the correct area, but i wasn't sure where else to put it. Lately I've been having problems with dizziness, especially up/down movements (like riding the bus). My audi says it probably related to my hearing loss and that there is no therapy that will work. Anyone have any tips for helping the dizziness to go away faster? I've had a few times over the past couple months where i've had to ask the bus driver to pull over because i thought i was going to puke :S. Some days its okay (oddly on the days that my hearing seems bad) and other days it's really touchy (oddly on the days when my hearing is good). I've found gravol (dimenhydrinate) which kind of works because it puts me to sleep, but that's not very helpful when i'm on my way somewhere (like class) and not on my way home. I've started to sit at the front of the bus facing forward.. anyone have any other tips??
Thanks,
*EQL*

I've had this too, it's gotten somewhat better as time goes on. Whenever I had an "attack" of dizziness, I put both index fingers against my temples and slightly squeezed, and keep my head upright....close my eyes...and wait for it to pass.....When this didn't work, I usually had to lay down.....but sometimes that was impossible. So I just shook my head a little. And in time, it would pass.

Perhaps having ur ears cleaned and drained every 4-6 months would help also, it has for me. Whenever I close my eyes showering, sometimes I will fall forward...so I make sure I have something to grasp in case I do fall.

It's impossible to lip read when an attack occurs...and often times, the only solution I could find was just to go to sleep!

I've had this too, it's gotten somewhat better as time goes on. Whenever I had an "attack" of dizziness, I put both index fingers against my temples and slightly squeezed, and keep my head upright....close my eyes...and wait for it to pass.....When this didn't work, I usually had to lay down.....but sometimes that was impossible. So I just shook my head a little. And in time, it would pass.

Perhaps having ur ears cleaned and drained every 4-6 months would help also, it has for me. Whenever I close my eyes showering, sometimes I will fall forward...so I make sure I have something to grasp in case I do fall.

It's impossible to lip read when an attack occurs...and often times, the only solution I could find was just to go to sleep!

Thanks, i'll try that next time
*EQL*

It seems like I've always had some type of balance issue. I could ride a bike as a kid, but can't now. I'm pretty klutzy, and my fine motor skills aren't that great either.

yep sounds like vertigo attacks . I used to have them every 2 weeks or so and it last from 2 hrs to 6 hrs non stop, vomiting as well. lately its been backing out. now i havent had one for 6 weeks straight. touch wood......Always sit facing front whereever you travel. try not to sharply move your head left to right. that can trigger it.
theres no cure for it.

As I've said before, vertigo is likely.

From what it sounds like, it's a type of vertigo which is being triggered by motion sickness. Try sitting still and close your eyes and see if it goes away. If it does, then it's probably vertigo.

it does sound like Vertigo and there is Vestibular Rehab Therapy I am sure one of the hospitals in the Toronto area will do that. I had to do those exercises after the surgeries I chose to have done for my Meniere's Disease they do work.

Hi evil_queen_lisa,
I think you should see your ENT, to determine exactly what is causing your dizziness, before you try any therapies. There can be many reasons for dizziness; some simple and some more complex. Depending on the diagnosis there certainly will be therapies you can try which have benefited others. In the meantime you should be able to purchase a little disposable puking bag from your chemist/drug store to keep in your handbag. They are like a small white bowl with the bottom replaced with a plastic bag. You may never need it but its good insurance.
John

There can be so many reasons for vertigo attacks. Some can be controlled with medication, eating habits, learning what works for you.

I lost my hearing and a lot of my balance from most likely Menieres. You may want to take a look at Menieres.org. There are a lot on that board who have it really bad but also many who have figured out how to cope with it. Read and learn what has worked for others. I use to get dizzy spells in smooth riding cars, harsh were better for me. Some, it is just the opposite.

Try to start figuring out if there is any pattern. High salt intake, smoking, caffeine, stress, sleep.

For me, sleep or lack of it and extremely high salt intake over several days really plays a part in how stable my eyes are.

If you have never looked at the nutrition labels on foods, you might just be surprised how excessive some ingredients are. Salt especially. Dr.s recommend less than 2000 mg/day and sometimes 1500 mg/day for those with Menieres. A big mac and fry’s wipes out the entire day allowance. Some prepared meals also take care of the entire day recommendation.

Of course there are medications that help but it is medication and that is just covering up the cause. Start keeping track of "everything" and you might in time start seeing a pattern.

Wish you luck in figuring this out and feeling better. I would never wish a vertigo attack on my worst enemy. They really are that bad and if you have never had one, it is hard to truely understand what it is like.

I do have some balance problem with my feet, especially almost fell while walking and I found out that could be related to hearing loss due absent of hair cells.

Some adults asked me about what is wrong with my feet so I don't know because they said I'm just walking like little funny and I was like what.

Not so sure about the vertigo. Vertigo for me is either subjective or objective i.e I feel like I am spinning or I perceive that the room or environment is spinning. I get both being bilateral Menierian. It sounds more like disequilibrium that is caused by some kind of malfunction in the balance organs in the inner ear. A good neurotologist coulod probably give a specific diagnosis. I've had a similar sensation since my second shunt surgery and vestibular retraining therapy helped quite a bit. I was fortunate enough to get a very good therapist that could tailor exercises specifically for my losses. That was much better than the one size fits all exercises.

Bob

Back