Bad Signing Skills

icecl_out1

Reaction score
okay. I am hearing and started learning sign language for my girlfriend since she may lose all her hearing later on in the future. well when i first started learning signs I had a real bad lesson in how hard learning sign language would be. This is a funny story to me. Maybe some of you will get a laugh out of it.

Okay. One day I was in my tv productions class with Brittney (my awesome girlfriend) and I was supposed to sign "I will tell you later"...instead I mixed up the "tell" sign with the new sign i learned..."swallow"...i didn't realize at first that i just signed to Brittney that I would swallow her later. She looked at me shocked and signed what? Swallow me later? And I mouthed yeah I'll tell you later...well she started laughing and I was wondering why. Later she came up to me and whispered in my ear...babe, you just signed that you will swallow me later....needless to say I turned bright red and felt so embarrased (i'm a real shy guy)...At that moment I realized sign language would be a hard thing for me to learn because it is just so easy to mix up signs that are so similar when you just start learning sign.

So yeah, that's my somewhat funny...somewhat embarrasing story. Hope it made you smile or laugh. I mean, isn't always great to laugh at other peoples stupidity?...Just Kidding!

:rofl: Yeah -- it can get embarrassing when signing the wrong sign in a conversation! ;) But, hey...no one's perfect! :D
It's good to see that you're quite motivated in learning to sign so you can communicate with your wonderful girlfriend!
I had to learn a totally different type of sign language when I moved to Australia from USA -- as you are aware that USA uses ASL (American Sign Language) whilst in Australia...it's AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language). AUSLAN's quite similar to BSL (British Sign Language). It took me like a year to really pick up AUSLAN and use it with ease. I still am a bit rusty and picking up new signs here and there.

Cute! I know how you feel when I first met my Step Mom at My Dad's Old apartment She was Making us dinner and after Dinner she wanted to know the sign for Dessert and she asked my Hearing sister in Private how to sign it and she told her how to sign it and My Step Mother came in the dine room and asked us "Do you want some Dessert in Signs as for Vagina" and ^Angel^ and I were like huh? She kept signing that Vagina signs and said "we have vanilla and Chocolate" and we were like *gulp* wondering if she was trying to feed us some Vagina... :laugh2: But, then My hearing sister kept saying no no no not that sign....and My step mom was like what u mean what the sign did I sign? and We told her u signed vagina instead of dessert.. her face went in different colors...Then, She said Oh My that was Embarrassment.

I had one girl do something like that to me. She signed "suck" by pointing her finger to her mouth while it's open. Heh!

Cheri said:
Cute! I know how you feel when I first met my Step Mom at My Dad's Old apartment She was Making us dinner and after Dinner she wanted to know the sign for Dessert and she asked my Hearing sister in Private how to sign it and she told her how to sign it and My Step Mother came in the dine room and asked us "Do you want some Dessert in Signs as for Vagina" and ^Angel^ and I were like huh? She kept signing that Vagina signs and said "we have vanilla and Chocolate" and we were like *gulp* wondering if she was trying to feed us some Vagina... :laugh2: But, then My hearing sister kept saying no no no not that sign....and My step mom was like what u mean what the sign did I sign? and We told her u signed vagina instead of dessert.. her face went in different colors...Then, She said Oh My that was Embarrassment.

Omigod! :laugh2: That sure was an embarrassing thing to happen to your step mum! I have a funny story...one night a few weeks ago, I was at a friend's house and having drinks. I had brought out a new bottle of bourbon and coke for her and she signed 'thankyou' but accidently signed it as if she was saying 'Fuck off' -- you know that sign where you slide your fingers from under the chin outwards? ;)
I laughed so hard and she was wondering for a minute there cos we both were a bit plastered...I explained to her what she did and she turned really RED in the face and apologised and signed it properly!
Since then, she has kept on signing 'Thank you' -- and 'Not fuck off, OK!' hahahhah.....

Last edited:
VamPyroX said:
I had one girl do something like that to me. She signed "suck" by pointing her finger to her mouth while it's open. Heh!

Lots of hearing People do that.. I guess u were thinking of it as a dirtyMind reader... :lol: tsk tsk tsk.. Shawn...

Cheri said:
Lots of hearing People do that.. I guess u were thinking of it as a dirtyMind reader... :lol: tsk tsk tsk.. Shawn...
"I will suck you later!" Hehehe! :laugh2:

The stories gave me a smile.....

I have a couple funny stories...

My friend was learning ASL a few years back... one day she was trying to sign to her friend in front of a bunch of kids (it was at a school) she has a question about lunch. Well, instead of signing "I have a question about lunch," she actually signed "I have sex with lesbian" -- she was sure confused when all the kids were staring at her bewildered, and her friend had her mouth hanging, but understood what she said from lip-reading.

My mom was learning sign language a few years ago, and one time she went to Deaf Expo with me. I left her for a few minutes to get some soda/refreshments. I noticed a deaf guy approached her and started flirting with her, introducing himself, and asking if she was single. Mom was, of course, in shock because she couldn't follow the guy's fast signing, and she realized he was flirting too. Poor mom... but she managed to sign "I'm hamburger" showing her ring too. :D Guy goes "huh?" At that point, I come over and signed to him "That's my mom, she's happily married... and she is learning sign language so please sign slowly" He was embarrassed and left. But I think mom was really flustered. "Hamburger" is her most frequently used sign ;)

That's what I can remember thus far.

Sweet_KJ said:

My friend was learning ASL a few years back... one day she was trying to sign to her friend in front of a bunch of kids (it was at a school) she has a question about lunch. Well, instead of signing "I have a question about lunch," she actually signed "I have sex with lesbian" -- she was sure confused when all the kids were staring at her bewildered, and her friend had her mouth hanging, but understood what she said from lip-reading.

My mom was learning sign language a few years ago, and one time she went to Deaf Expo with me. I left her for a few minutes to get some soda/refreshments. I noticed a deaf guy approached her and started flirting with her, introducing himself, and asking if she was single. Mom was, of course, in shock because she couldn't follow the guy's fast signing, and she realized he was flirting too. Poor mom... but she managed to sign "I'm hamburger" showing her ring too. :D Guy goes "huh?" At that point, I come over and signed to him "That's my mom, she's happily married... and she is learning sign language so please sign slowly" He was embarrassed and left. But I think mom was really flustered. "Hamburger" is her most frequently used sign ;)

:laugh2: Very Cute SweetKj....

I got a couple of stories....

In ASL class we were talking/signing about our families, or whoever it was that we lived with...well, one girl got up in front of the class and she MEANT to sign, "I live with my mother, father, and my cat..." However, she signed "indian" instead of "cat..." Fortunately for her, I was the only one in the class who caught her mistake...the rest of them assumed that she had signed "cat." So I raised my hand and she called on me. I said, "What kind of Indian do you live with?" She turned bright red and looked to the teacher for help...the teacher only laughed, too...LOL.

My best friend was up in front of the class, signing a story. Her hands/arms were close to her body. The ASL teacher stopped her and signed to her, "sign bigger, express more..." This particular teacher was deaf, herself...so she didn't hear me yell out, "Yeah, Lauren. Speak up, will ya??"

I guess it's no surprise that I was ASL class clown.

icecl_out1 said:
okay. I am hearing and started learning sign language for my girlfriend since she may lose all her hearing later on in the future. well when i first started learning signs I had a real bad lesson in how hard learning sign language would be. This is a funny story to me. Maybe some of you will get a laugh out of it.

Okay. One day I was in my tv productions class with Brittney (my awesome girlfriend) and I was supposed to sign "I will tell you later"...instead I mixed up the "tell" sign with the new sign i learned..."swallow"...i didn't realize at first that i just signed to Brittney that I would swallow her later. She looked at me shocked and signed what? Swallow me later? And I mouthed yeah I'll tell you later...well she started laughing and I was wondering why. Later she came up to me and whispered in my ear...babe, you just signed that you will swallow me later....needless to say I turned bright red and felt so embarrased (i'm a real shy guy)...At that moment I realized sign language would be a hard thing for me to learn because it is just so easy to mix up signs that are so similar when you just start learning sign.

So yeah, that's my somewhat funny...somewhat embarrasing story. Hope it made you smile or laugh. I mean, isn't always great to laugh at other peoples stupidity?...Just Kidding!
awwwwwww that soo cute!! i do uddy that u just try ur best sign to ur gf!! not blame u for that... :)

Cheri said:
oh man!!! ur step mom already embarrassment wrong sign!! i uddy how her feeling gulped!!!

Sweet_KJ said:

awwwwwwww thats soo cute!! hehehe :laugh2:

i think it was 2 yrs ago, my mom asked me how sign for bad words?? i was jeez! i taugh her how.. then later when my mom and stepfather got in agured , i was sit on couch in livingroom and i watched tv and saw stepfather walked to room, and my mom did signed a**hole behind his back, i was :laugh2: so hard!!!!! my mom is bad!!!

you all are so funny in that story...

I often teach hearies wrong signs.. for example if they ask me "how you sign thank you" i teach them a sign of "bitch" however when they tell me thank you again and again by using "bitch" i laugh my ass off every time they say it, however one day the time's wrong.. 2 deafies came in and said "you had a nice haircut" and he signed "bitch" to her.. i was like I'm BUSTED but did laugh my ass off then i told him that's a real meaning of "bitch" he bursted into red face. anyway, from now on i'll teach right words :D

Back