Bad Etiquette-Grabbing a Signer's Hands

KatieTheActivist

Reaction score
I mean like grabbing someone's hands to prevent them from signing.
I'm hearing and I would never do this to anyone--but it occurred to me. It seems like the ultimate low. Isn't it sort of the equivalent of putting your hand over someone's mouth?
I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and what it means in the deaf community.

No need. Just closing your eyes is enough. And yes it is considered bad manners.

I would think that would be very bad manners. :lol: There might be a few circumstances that justify it, like, say you we're about to give away a secret.

Don't know why I did and do it...but so many times I've been told that I've closed my eyes, guessing it's because I don't want to "see" what the person is saying, or that I'm impatient and wanted to get my own voice/signing across...

But I've never grabbed a signer's hands to stop them from talking....I'm sure that many mothers have done this to their children whenever they are talking back when they shouldn't....even parents have put their hands over their child's mouths whenever they are saying things they shouldn't....

But to do this to an adult is rude....

Hasn't happened to me, but a good friend of mine was in a closed courtroom hearing and his client's mother kept grabbing his hands every few minutes. He says it usually happens with people who have a very low intelligence level.

I've never seen this myself...nor would I do that to anyone. Just seems rude, like the shaking the hand of a celeb on stage and trying to pull them down....

Laura

Recently I grabbed the hand of a store clerk, and asked him to please not cover his mouth while talking.....etc. etc. We had a very animated conversation after that!! :D And again several days later.

I heard of it happening to an interpreter who was interpreting a group counseling session. The person didn't understand the interpreting situation and kept saying you can put your hands down now. When the interpreter didn't stop, the person went and grappler the interpreter's hands. Obviously, this person was mentally ill and clueless.

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

This seen like it would be a violation of a deaf or hoh person rights to me.
We have the Freedmen of free speech that protect us to speak our minds and some people use their hands to 'speak' . I may be wrong but still I feel this way.

Back