Bacteria chows down on remaining oil spill in Gulf

Obama knew. That is why he let it flow for weeks.

Only 4%-8% of TOTAL spill, not all. From Skidaway Institute of Oceanography and University of Georgia (NON BIASED group) this link:
HOW MUCH OIL HAS BEEN COMPLETELY DEGRADED BY MARINE ORGANISMS?
There are no data available from the scientific literature or the National Incident Command on
rates of decomposition or weathering of oil released from the BP spill. Because so much oil
exists as micro-droplets in deep, very cold ocean waters, it is difficult to infer decomposition
rates from studies of previous spills occurring closer to the surface. However, several scientific
studies are currently underway to directly address this critical need.
We asked our scientific experts to estimate, as best they could, the percentage of subsurface oil
that has degraded. They suggested a range of between 5% (see Figure 3) and 10% (see Figure 2).
Given that estimate, we calculated that between 168,000 and 319,000 barrels have been removed
from the Gulf through degradation. This is equivalent to 4-8% of the total oil released into the
water.

However, it is important to realize that the degradation of crude oil by marine organisms mostly
entails short-chain hydrocarbons—not the more toxic, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
(PAHs). Mass balance calculations, such as we are doing here, do not reflect this preferential
decomposition. The most toxic components of crude oil are the least likely to be naturally
degraded.

Only 4%-8% of TOTAL spill, not all. From Skidaway Institute of Oceanography and University of Georgia (NON BIASED group) this link:

Thanks, LinuxGold. I knew that but you saved me the effort of countering such ignorance.

And seriously I don't think you guys even read the article.

But though it would be heartening to think that the bacteria had digested all the oil, Richard Camilli, an oceanographer at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts, said it was also possible that that the oil plume had moved or diluted to a point beyond detection.

Dilution plays a big role in helping break down oil even faster allowing more absorption opportunities of oil onto sediment that's floating in the water which will eventually make it's way to the seafloor. Then you have the salt water waveaction, oil eating micro-organisms, and such that help attentuates the effects of oil on the ocean's ecosystem.

Dilution plays a big role in helping break down oil even faster allowing more absorption opportunities of oil onto sediment that's floating in the water which will eventually make it's way to the seafloor. Then you have the salt water waveaction, oil eating micro-organisms, and such that help attentuates the effects of oil on the ocean's ecosystem.

Ignorance. Sheer ignorance. Dilution plays a SMALL role here.

So which is it: Obama's Katrina, or Drill baby drill?

I do read many many articles, many CONTROVERSIES. Rest assured I've read various articles, it's a political talk, a tool to convince us otherwise..

The link that I provided is BASED on the discovery of UNDERWATER Scientists that WENT there. They are reporting on what they SAW, not on what they ASSUMED From small experiments that signifies a LARGER role. Yes, Dilution do play a big role in helping break down oil, however, they're overwhelmed with massive oil. Like the report said, 4% to 8% are EFFECTIVELY working, but 4% to 8% are not enough to do the WHOLE job of the spill. We need to put in more effort to do the clean up, which includes underwater cleaning. A VIABLE solution in ALL controversies and articles.

I do read many many articles, many CONTROVERSIES. Rest assured I've read various articles, it's a political talk, a tool to convince us otherwise..

The link that I provided is BASED on the discovery of UNDERWATER Scientists that WENT there. They are reporting on what they SAW, not on what they ASSUMED From small experiments that signifies a LARGER role. Yes, Dilution do play a big role in helping break down oil, however, they're overwhelmed with massive oil. Like the report said, 4% to 8% are EFFECTIVELY working, but 4% to 8% are not enough to do the WHOLE job of the spill. We need to put in more effort to do the clean up, which includes underwater cleaning. A VIABLE solution in ALL controversies and articles.

I am not taking sides, but same here. I am very reluctant to see any more sites that show documentation and video of the extensive damage that goes unreported, because it is so damed depressing. What bothered me about the OP is that it implied all is fine now, the oil spill has miraculously disappeared, yayyy. FAR from it.

The 4 to 8% that's working is a significant number compared to the amount oil picked up physically by us mere humans. Oil is a natural product in the ocean for millions of years. The ecosystem has adapted to it and even take advantage of the oil in the waters released from the seafloor. It'd be better to focus oil closer to shore, the beaches and the estuary..not out in the ocean. It'll clean up on its own there.

The 4 to 8% that's working is a significant number compared to the amount oil picked up physically by us mere humans. Oil is a natural product in the ocean for millions of years. The ecosystem has adapted to it and even take advantage of the oil in the waters released from the seafloor. It'd be better to focus oil closer to shore, the beaches and the estuary..not out in the ocean. It'll clean up on its own there.

I heartily agree with you about how they recover by themselves, but I am sure they will think "Gee, I am doing all the work, wish they could help us out there!"

I am sure there are more talented divers or marine professionals, scientists out there that might want to volunteer with the clean-up. Problem is will the equipment necessary to clean up underwater be provided by those who are responsible for the spill?

This is pure propaganda to made Obama look good. We have been lied to right from the start how bad the oil disaster really was and how much oil really leaked in the Gulf Of Mexico. There is a lot of oil in the water and wetland and it going to be for years. Oil is still being found on the cost on of Alaska and that oil spill was years ago,. and people have no idea what kind of effect the chemical that was use to break the oil in water will have on the ocean and wildlifes . The chemical made it hard to clear up the oil as it was broken down so much there no way to find the oil.

I am not taking sides, but same here. I am very reluctant to see any more sites that show documentation and video of the extensive damage that goes unreported, because it is so damed depressing. What bothered me about the OP is that it implied all is fine now, the oil spill has miraculously disappeared, yayyy. FAR from it.

No. That wasn't the intention. The intention is that in nature there are suprises on things we didn't know and in this case is when certain advantageous bacteria that are using the opportunity to "chow down" this oil spill. Just the same idea that when Yellowstone Park burned over scientists lamented and wailed that it'll take several decades for it to begin to recover. And boy, were they ever surprised. Same for Mt. St. Helens in its aftermath. It's amazing how easily and quickly how Earth has a way of "repairing" itself. And we shouldn't be surprised by all this since this has been going on for millions of years.

This is pure propaganda to made Obama look good. We have been lied to right from the start how bad the oil disaster really was and how much oil really leaked in the Gulf Of Mexico. There is a lot of oil in the water and wetland and it going to be for years. Oil is still being found on the cost on of Alaska and that oil spill was years ag,.

Let's ignore Obama's reputation for now.

We need to focus on WHAT WE CAN DO now?

If we are driving in superhighway and saw an accident happening in our eyes, do we continue to drive on and say "Policemen is not doing their job quick enough!" OR do we stop and help?

This is pure propaganda to made Obama look good. We have been lied to right from the start how bad the oil disaster really was and how much oil really leaked in the Gulf Of Mexico. There is a lot of oil in the water and wetland and it going to be for years. Oil is still being found on the cost on of Alaska and that oil spill was years ag,.

Because on those shores they are made up of cobbly rocks and not the smooth sand. Geology plays a role on how fast or slow a damaged ecosystem can recover. You have the black refined oil muck that can still be found under those rocks if you lift them out of the ground. But even that it continues to degrade. The ocean itself is a different story.

I think the oil will eventually make it to city sewer systems.....come out of the manholes and drains and take over cities.

A theory as valid as any right now.

We need a name for it :hmm: The Spot???? No The Blot???? Nah *think,think,think*

this is not good at all. this means - the bacteria will deplete the oxygen in ocean which spells a disaster for ecosystem. a possible repercussion.

Listen to yourselves bickering about how nature can recover by themselves or not, political reputation and what they should be doing..

We should be going out there, asking deep waters professionals to VOLUNTEER their expertise help to clean up, REQUESTING BP to do more by providing the EQUIPMENT for them to use to clean up the oil from underwater.

Why are we arguing so much about USELESS controversy that doesn't go anywhere?

I think the oil will eventually make it to city sewer systems.....come out of the manholes and drains and take over cities.

A theory as valid as any right now.

We need a name for it :hmm: The Spot???? No The Blot???? Nah *think,think,think*

The Rorschach? :lol:

Back