BABY WEARING HAs OUTDOORS

right that is where I want to know why lots of hearing people are curious about the degree of hearing?

Would it not seem kind of silly for a parent/person to contemplate a CI with a moderate loss for example?

All the same to me. Everyone is equal, regardless of their hearing status. However, I'd be more concerned if someone wanted to implant a child or person when it's not needed. That's my point.

Would it not seem kind of silly for a parent/person to contemplate a CI with a moderate loss for example?

All the same to me. Everyone is equal, regardless of their hearing status. However, I'd be more concerned if someone wanted to implant a child or person when it's not needed. That's my point.

Well we have one member here who did that.

What is his degree of hearing?

One ear totally not hearing and the other gave respond at 60 dB. The doctor told us that given these measurements, he will not be able to speak without help. However, my sister met a deaf dentist today that was able to study without HAs, only by reading lips. Could it be that doctors exaggerate? I don't know.

One ear totally not hearing and the other gave respond at 60 dB. The doctor told us that given these measurements, he will not be able to speak without help. However, my sister met a deaf dentist today that was able to study without HAs, only by reading lips. Could it be that doctors exaggerate? I don't know.

i know several of my friends who have no HA or CI they do speak very well but they prefer ASL since it's their natural. They were encourage to learn how to speak by their parents until they turned 18 and they started learning ASL for the rest of their lives. just let you know. it depends on what individuals talents if they are capable of reading someone else lips or speaking. Same idea what someone who have better math than someone else. It is the same deal with speaking skill.

60 db? That is HOH levels. He should be able to benifit from a HA. That's only a little worse then my hearing level.

Does it matter that only one ear responded at 60 dB in only one frequency? During the past week I noted a change at his little voices, from mmmmmm it has also turned to aaaaa as if he is checking his ability to speak louder. Could this mean that the HAs are working well for him?

Does it matter that only one ear responded at 60 dB in only one frequency? During the past week I noted a change at his little voices, from mmmmmm it has also turned to aaaaa as if he is checking his ability to speak louder. Could this mean that the HAs are working well for him?

I think if you're noticing an improvement in his babbling, that absolutely is a very good sign.

Happy New Year to all of you! Actually it's not babbling... just new sounds. Is that a good sign that he is getting benefit from the HAs?

Happy New Year to you too!

My daughter's loss was greater than 60 in both ears and she still babbled. She would reproduce ahhh and goo on cue, maybe by reading lips? One of my fears was that we would implant her and she would stop making those noises. But after the surgery, before activation, she kept it up like nothing had ever happened. But your son isn't babbling, but reproducing sound? Thats awesome!

I wonder what you're implant center considers as a threshold for considering CI. 60? 80? 120? If he's reproducing environmental sound with a hearing aid, I'm not sure our center would implant that ear.

Keep up the observations and sign, you're doing great!

Happy New Year to all of you! Actually it's not babbling... just new sounds. Is that a good sign that he is getting benefit from the HAs?

If he is articulating new sounds, yes. That is definitely a good sign. Keep his HA's on during all waking hours- in the car, at the park, at home etc. That is encouraging news!

Happy New Year to you too!

My daughter's loss was greater than 60 in both ears and she still babbled. She would reproduce ahhh and goo on cue, maybe by reading lips? One of my fears was that we would implant her and she would stop making those noises. But after the surgery, before activation, she kept it up like nothing had ever happened. But your son isn't babbling, but reproducing sound? Thats awesome!

I wonder what you're implant center considers as a threshold for considering CI. 60? 80? 120? If he's reproducing environmental sound with a hearing aid, I'm not sure our center would implant that ear.

Keep up the observations and sign, you're doing great!

I am not sure abouth the thresholds at our hospital, I do know though that here in Greece the insurance companies have the threshold of 100 dB in order to cover the expenses of the implant, the surgery etc. I am still a little sceptic about the implant, given our other issues (motor, for which I have posted elsewhere) for which we have no diagnosis.

If he is articulating new sounds, yes. That is definitely a good sign. Keep his HA's on during all waking hours- in the car, at the park, at home etc. That is encouraging news!

Thanks for the encouragement! I needed that especially today, since I have read about a syndrome in which deaf babies gradually have vision loss. What shocked me is the fact that these babies are late walkers, like my son. Maybe after all we should have the DNA tests so we will know exactly what's going on. It's very sad though.

Thanks for the encouragement! I needed that especially today, since I have read about a syndrome in which deaf babies gradually have vision loss. What shocked me is the fact that these babies are late walkers, like my son. Maybe after all we should have the DNA tests so we will know exactly what's going on. It's very sad though.

Kat- my son was a preemie and had/has a complicated medical history. The first few years of his life I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

In other words, I was waiting for another diagnosis (CP was a big concern of mine due to his particular challenges he had at birth). I mean, after all he has all this other stuff going on- why wouldn't something else be thrown into the mix?

It took a few years, but I was finally able to breathe. No other diagnosis came and we were in good shape in terms of all of his needs being met.

If I can give you one piece of advice, it would be don't over analyze everything. As (I think) Sallylou mentioned in another thread, everyone does things in their own time. Sure, there are always things that may come into play that can have an effect on things- but more often than not, they get to where they need to be.

Just try to enjoy your child, and do the things with him that you know he will benefit from. Talk to him all the time, sign with him all the time, love him all the time. Just enjoy him. You know he accesses language differently than a hearing person, so it is up to you to not only give him the language, but expand on his language.

In the end it all works out exactly as intended. I hope you are able to let go of some of the worries sooner than later, and just enjoy being a mom to a wonderful little boy.

Thanks CSign for the wonderful and moving post. Yes my son is a wonderful boy (as is my elder hearing boy) and I admit that, at times, I get overwhelmed by all the medical stuff and I get overanxious about how his future will turn out, if he will be happy etc... I'll try to remember your advice.

Back