BABY WEARING HAs OUTDOORS

kat05

Reaction score
First attempt for us to wear the hearing aids outside home...
My 17-month old boy, already wearing the HAs for almost 2 months but not wanting them..
We bought the stick and stay stuff, the little clip, everything. But now he found the way to grab them out his ears, separate the ear mold and nibble it or even through it away. This means that going for a walk with the HAs is very risky for loosing them... Any ideas? We definitely have to start wearing them during all awake hours and not only at home.

Is his HA volumes too loud for him as to why he removes it a lot?? I used to have body hearing, not hearing aid. I have no idea how or suggest to tell you. contact with the hearing service about it.

They make retainers, there are hats, but mostly, you have to watch and immediately put them back.

Also tell him no, and he will learn.

I agree with Bott- he will get it eventually, you just have to be consistent. Do you have one of those clips that attaches to the shirt and his HA's? The molds aren't as big a deal if they are lost as the aids are. I say give him about 3 more months and he'll get into the swing of things with them. If he takes them off, just put them right back on and continue trying to keep his hands and mouth occupied.

I just re-read and saw that you have the clip. I would continue using that, or if it's distracting to him use the double sided medical tape which won't be as tempting to him. He is still very new to the HA's, so given that and his age it's entirely typical. Just put them right back on him.

My son was diagnosed young, and got through that phase. Your son will too.

I see elsewhere on here that you're tracking towards CI. Just to provide a little forward thinking, if you end up with an implant or two...

there are CI processors available that do not touch or hang on the ears. We received four of the behind-the-ear processors for our infant daughter, but also clip devices that let us attach two of them them to the collar of her shirt (in the back) so the only thing that actually touches her is the headpiece. Eventually, she will have the option of wearing them on her ears as she gets older.

Is his HA volumes too loud for him as to why he removes it a lot?? I used to have body hearing, not hearing aid. I have no idea how or suggest to tell you. contact with the hearing service about it.

I did phone the company and they told me they put him just the right volume given his hearing loss, age etc ...

I did phone the company and they told me they put him just the right volume given his hearing loss, age etc ...

just look at your baby's face how he looks when the volume turns down or up to see if he responds to it better or not.

maybe his ear is sore from the mold? some kids are not crazy about wearing hearing aids for many reasons.

There is no such reaction, it seems like it's totally indifferent to him and this is why I've started to believe that in his case they are of no use-maybe the problem is bigger, I don't know.

There is no such reaction, it seems like it's totally indifferent to him and this is why I've started to believe that in his case they are of no use-maybe the problem is bigger, I don't know.

In that case, opt for CI. There are still kids who cannot and do not respond at ALL to HA. In those cases, it's 100% OK to opt for CI. You've maxed out the HA. You need to upgrade and get more power.

If he's only been wearing them for a month, is that really enough time to see if they help?

They told me that I should see a difference after 2-3 months of full use...

frank was like that for a bit, but he has out of nowhere decided that he wants to wear them! he will cock his little ear out for me to stick it in, which is so much easier than wrestling him to get them on! one thing that i do think worked for us in getting him used to them was watching kids videos! he loves music now.

They told me that I should see a difference after 2-3 months of full use...

But you haven't kept them in all day, have you? Full use means on during waking hours, indoors and out...

You can't trial a hearing aid and after a month in a half of only indoor use think that is sufficient enough to know that your baby isn't getting good use out of the hearing aids..You need to give him time to get used to all environments. Hearing aids require an adjustment period and that hasn't happened if he's only used them indoors..

I understand that; I just cannot figure out how we will manage full time use in order to judge, with him throwing them away! all the time and putting the ear molds in his mouth like a chewing gum!!

I understand that; I just cannot figure out how we will manage full time use in order to judge, with him throwing them away! all the time and putting the ear molds in his mouth like a chewing gum!!

Kat- that's typical. All you can do is tell him those are his earmolds to help him hear, and that he can chew on _____. Then give him something he can chew on. The biggest thing is just keep putting them back on him, and try to keep his hands occupied. Does he like cars? Maybe he can hold a car in each of his hands when it's time to go.

I know it's frustrating, but it will pass. You just need to be consistent and one step ahead if him.

What is his degree of hearing?

i am not looking for some troubles. i am curious that i notice some of you asking for some questions about "degree of hearing". what does it do with hearing issue?
because of HA or CI?
nowaday doctors go ahead and perform on babies who are HOH to get CI lately. :dunno:

i am not looking for some troubles. i am curious that i notice some of you asking for some questions about "degree of hearing". what does it do with hearing issue?
because of HA or CI?
nowaday doctors go ahead and perform on babies who are HOH to get CI lately. :dunno:

I was curious. :dunno:

I was curious. :dunno:

right that is where I want to know why lots of hearing people are curious about the degree of hearing?

to me, degree of hearing does not matter to me, since any hearing loss level is all same to me except attitude society, upbringing society, pressure peers and depends on what they have talents for speech skill if they feel natural speaking by hearing people perspectives.

Back