baby sign language book question.

Get an app for iPhone, iPod touch, Android, whatever you have. You can have little people, or cartoon people modeling any sign you want at any time.

My granddaughters love learning signs this way.

i dont have a cell phone! i am so behind everything in the world, i think.
i still have a regular phone with a phone book, pad and pen next to it.

What about going to your local library to see if there are any more books on ASL or sign language?

i dont have a cell phone! i am so behind everything in the world, i think.
i still have a regular phone with a phone book, pad and pen next to it.

Buy an iPod touch at Walmart or Target. It will be a good investment and you can do more than you can imagine.

It even serves as a video phone when away from home if you want it to.

And all this type of technology is going to be important to your son as he develops.

i agree. i do hate cell phones though..i love not being accessible when i leave the house.
HOWEVER..with all of his appointments and such, we have given serious thought to getting cell phones. its funny..my husband is the biggest nerd ever..he has been into computers since the mid 80s, and he repairs computers at a local store for a living..but he hates cell phones too!
an ipod touch? can they play music/videos?

i agree. i do hate cell phones though..i love not being accessible when i leave the house.
HOWEVER..with all of his appointments and such, we have given serious thought to getting cell phones. its funny..my husband is the biggest nerd ever..he has been into computers since the mid 80s, and he repairs computers at a local store for a living..but he hates cell phones too!

Yes. The ASL apps are videos

ill have to give it some more thought..i just hate being dependent on things like that.
*even though i waste half my day on facebook/cracked.com, so yeah.*

Buy an iPod touch at Walmart or Target. It will be a good investment and you can do more than you can imagine.

It even serves as a video phone when away from home if you want it to.

And all this type of technology is going to be important to your son as he develops.

Agreed. Technology was a big thing in our house, but I did notice that hearing children's parents did not seem to place so high a priority on it. They just don't realize how much technology solves access and communication problems until it is pointed out.

ill have to give it some more thought..i just hate being dependent on things like that.
*even though i waste half my day on facebook/cracked.com, so yeah.*

Well, try to think of it as a way for your son to become independent, rather than a dependence on the technology.

Agreed. Technology was a big thing in our house, but I did notice that hearing children's parents did not seem to place so high a priority on it. They just don't realize how much technology solves access and communication problems until it is pointed out.

That's really true. The new technologies have really opened the world to me.

My 10 year old hearing neice got an iPad touch for Christmas last year. She is constantly saying, "Hey, aunt Jillio, listen to this song!" or 'Look at this kitty video!"

That's really true. The new technologies have really opened the world to me.

And so many deaf. But to be honest, technology has allowed me to access my world in new ways, as well. That is another benefit of having a deaf kid, lol. Learning about technology!

Frankiesmom- there are only 13 signs in that book. I don't know if they are true ASL or "baby signs" as I can't see them.

With that being said, I think maybe getting one for your little guy to look at would be fun. However, it will not be something that you'll be able to use on an ongoing basis as the language is extremely limited.

I second the comments about buying a true ASL book, or downloading some ASL apps on your computer or iPod if you get one.

I don't know your son's exact age, but we began with the Baby Signing Time (all ASL signs) DVDs with our HOH son at 5 months corrected (He was a preemie). I limit his TV use, so he only watched at most twice a week for well over a year. However, he loved the DVDs. He loved the flashcards that went with them too, getting them out and flipping through them one by one, or bringing them to me to do the same, when he was barely walking. He can sign over a hundred words today, at 2. We also have two little ASL sign books for babies that he enjoys. I have studied up on some sign via the DVDs and an online dictionary, and am now over 500 words. Signing gives Andrew a good way to express himself if he can't say the word he wants. He only signs many things, like sorry, thank you, and please. He also uses a combination of sign and verbal words to help us understand. And signing/verbal combos were among his first phrases, like signing shoes and saying "o--" for off.

I bought the baby books! Hearing baby books often are just pictures or a few words...why shouldnt deaf baby books be the same? Plus it's great to pass on when they are older...

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

AlleyCat said:
Did somebody say kitty video?? Where?? Where??

I posted a herding cats video somewhere... No caption, but still good! :)

Back