Baby Learning ASL

yizuman

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gSZfW4gVhI&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div]YouTube - cute signing baby!...baby sign language[/ame]

Baby is so cute, although no caption is provided, but you can easily see what words the baby is learning! Awesome!!! The baby has learned 50 words.

Yiz

I love baby, I have followed this series on youtube. She is much bigger now, so smart. They have My Happy Hands teaching.

That is amazing!! I wish I knew this much when I was at that age.

Having deaf parents I learned signs about at the same time that little precious learned. My father estimated that by the time I was 2 my vocabulary was well over 400 signs and I was able to do complete sentences (ASL sentences). I had two hearing brothers and thusly learned to speak via them... I am late deafened and SO glad now that I learned to be fluent in ASL/signs so that as my hearing loss progresses... my communication ability won't be affected... much.

Signing for babies has definitely shown fewer tantrums, frustrations and confusion among the hearing. Plus eye-hand coordination is developed earlier and so many other benefits.

True, DeafCaver. It never occured to me the hand-eye coordination benefit, though, but it sounds plausible. And I had few tantrums as a youth. ;) Early sign language must have helped.

it happened too for my boys... my first boy loved those ASL songs and used to dance and sign. Then in pre-school and kindergarten, his benchmark tests showed very high marks and few of them off the charts. He continued getting high scores into first and second grade now.

I believe strongly that learning ASL since birth is a powerful influence for learning, cognitive and emotional abilities.

Back