Baby Ava

What sign is Ava making when she holds her right hand to the top of her head, and makes a sort of pinching movement with her fingers? Is that "I think" or "I am?" I couldn't figure it out from the included text.

Is ASL very different from BSL, or would users of either language be able to communicate well with each other?

Um, so, can anyone who is an expert in ASL or BSL tell me what sign Baby Ava was making with that pinching gesture? Most of the others were easy to figure out. Like "baby," " cold," " tummy" and so on, but that one where she had her hand to her head and sort of pinched I couldn't decipher.

What sign is Ava making when she holds her right hand to the top of her head, and makes a sort of pinching movement with her fingers? Is that "I think" or "I am?" I couldn't figure it out from the included text.

Is ASL very different from BSL, or would users of either language be able to communicate well with each other?

Um, so, can anyone who is an expert in ASL or BSL tell me what sign Baby Ava was making with that pinching gesture? Most of the others were easy to figure out. Like "baby," " cold," " tummy" and so on, but that one where she had her hand to her head and sort of pinched I couldn't decipher.

Show me what timespan is you talked about. Like, 1:25 to 1:36 or something like that, for explain. So I can figure it out what is that, because I re-watched it a few times, and still I don't see anything.

Just look at video's timespan. :)

She does it several times. I think now it might be a reference to " Uncle Matt" or " Andy." Watch at :05, again at :45, at :58, at 1:06 - 1:12, at 1:30, and at 3:15.

The one at :45 seems to be Uncle Matt, but at 1:30 and at 3:15 it seems to be Andy. So maybe it means "man" and there is something else I'm not picking up that identifies which man.

my small understanding is that BSL uses both hands for many of the signs that ASL uses one hand for.
just one possible difference that came to mind, imagine others have a lot more to offer...

She does it several times. I think now it might be a reference to " Uncle Matt" or " Andy." Watch at :05, again at :45, at :58, at 1:06 - 1:12, at 1:30, and at 3:15.

The one at :45 seems to be Uncle Matt, but at 1:30 and at 3:15 it seems to be Andy. So maybe it means "man" and there is something else I'm not picking up that identifies which man.

I'll look in it soon. Hold on a moment.

:05 and :45
It is actually a name sign for Uncle Matt.

:58, and 1:06-1:12
:58 and from 1:06-1:12, they used different names for Andy and Uncle Matt, and one actual sign for India (it is pretty clear to me, IMO).

3:15
It is the name sign for Andy.

But, those name signs are not ASL because how they use names are different than here.

I think that's about it. I hope that helps better.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. Guess I was close to figuring it out, but never would have known without the captions and your help. The name signs look very similar to me. I will watch again and see if I can focus on the differences.

I was just taught by my tutor that when deaf we can come up with our own signs for our immediate family. Like a nick name. So instead of spelling out my childrens names in a conversation I refer to them as "Tall", "Medium" and "Short". Referring from oldest to youngest. 6'5",5'7" and 5'4". Has worked so far.

Hey, there list of signs she use at time for person sign name. India sign as country in BSL is same sign she used India as person for sign name.

00:05 - India
00:45 - Uncle Matt (sign name)
00:46 - Aunty Suzi (sign name)
00:58 - India
1:06 - Uncle Matt (sign name)
1:12 - Andy (sign name)
1:30 - Andy (sign name)
3:15 - Andy (sign name)

Hope that helps?

Yes, it does, thanks.

Interesting that I picked up that there was something different about those particular signs, but I couldn't figure out (without the use of the captions, that is) which signs belonged to which people.

Back