Baby advice

Victorias mom

Reaction score
Hi.. my 11 week old daughter is deaf and I have a question, and I want to see if any of you experienced this at all. It seems that my daughter is much more attached to me than my son at this age (he has his hearing). If she is crying, I sometimes am the only one who can calm her down, even my husband can't sometimes. I know that children definetly have a stronger attachment to the moms, but I wonder if since she cannot hear the voices of others, then she is not getting comforted by them. They say a baby can tell the scent of the mother, plus she sees me the most. Just curious if you guys think this might be the case or if she is just a momma's girl! I feel really bad leaving her, because she cries a lot when I am not around.

Thanks

Awww your daughter reminds me of my own daughter when she was a baby. My daughter is hearing. She would be so attached to me a lot for the first few months. Since your baby is deaf and has never heard anything so she really doesn't know the sounds to comfort her so I don't think with her being so attached to you has anything to do with your daughter being deaf though.

By the way, welcome to AD :)

It may make logical sense that your beloving baby girl is emotionally and physically attached to you, even though she doesn't have the sense of 'hearing', she has these other senses that enables her to feel that blanket of security whenever you're near or holding her. This bonding between you and her will only get stronger as long as you continue to support her and show your love....being there whenever you can be, although, it's a fact that sometimes the things in life these days can 'cut' into the time spent with a child/baby. Yet, be thankful that your baby girl is so-ever calm when you're with her, such moments as these is priceless and very precious to have! :)

thanks Roadrunner. I try and be with her as much as I can, but there are times I have to leave to do something with my son.. and today I had to go back to work. I work part time and my job is very flexible with me, so I only have to go in the office twice a week. Today was hard to leave her and it was only for 4 hours!! If she continues to cry like today when I am gone, looks like I will be working less and less.

2kids1hoh said:
thanks Roadrunner. I try and be with her as much as I can, but there are times I have to leave to do something with my son.. and today I had to go back to work. I work part time and my job is very flexible with me, so I only have to go in the office twice a week. Today was hard to leave her and it was only for 4 hours!! If she continues to cry like today when I am gone, looks like I will be working less and less.
I do feel you. I stayed at home with my daughter for the first 4 months and it was so hard for me to leave her with a baby-sitter. After a while my daughter got used with the baby-sitter and then she was okay. I am sure your baby will be okay after a while.

ButterflyGirl said:
I do feel you. I stayed at home with my daughter for the first 4 months and it was so hard for me to leave her with a baby-sitter. After a while my daughter got used with the baby-sitter and then she was okay. I am sure your baby will be okay after a while.

Leaving them is so hard. With my son I had to go back full time after 3 months. I worked full time for the first year and a half then went part time. It's nice that I at least can be home with my daughter 3 out of the 5 days. Plus I am going to need those days for early intervention and all the other stuff I am going to have to do!

I think the kids do adjust to us going back to work, and probably faster than the moms do!!

Roadrunner said:
It may make logical sense that your beloving baby girl is emotionally and physically attached to you, even though she doesn't have the sense of 'hearing', she has these other senses that enables her to feel that blanket of security whenever you're near or holding her. This bonding between you and her will only get stronger as long as you continue to support her and show your love....being there whenever you can be, although, it's a fact that sometimes the things in life these days can 'cut' into the time spent with a child/baby. Yet, be thankful that your baby girl is so-ever calm when you're with her, such moments as these is priceless and very precious to have! :)

I totally agree with Roadrunner here, and he had cover up pretty much of what I was going to say, wow same mind! :angel:

I am in a situation just like you. I have 3 daughters are deaf. There were like your daughter too. They spent lot of time with me than their father. Not only that if my ma or my da goes near them when their were babies they would cried their eyes out. When i pick them up, they are fine. It very normal, she will grow out of it. My baby is now 16 months. she is grand, love everyone now and get on great with them. Don't worry too much!!

Deehamilton said:
I am in a situation just like you. I have 3 daughters are deaf. There were like your daughter too. They spent lot of time with me than their father. Not only that if my ma or my da goes near them when their were babies they would cried their eyes out. When i pick them up, they are fine. It very normal, she will grow out of it. My baby is now 16 months. she is grand, love everyone now and get on great with them. Don't worry too much!!

Thanks, I will try not to worry!

Back