Babel

set2

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the movie Babel?

I saw the movie last weekend and enjoyed it. First of all it had subtitles as the story or rather stories take place in several countries. IMHO, The Movie is about language barriers and other barriers to communication(Deafness). One of the characters is a Deaf/ Mute Japanese Girl. She communicates with Sign language and also communicates by writing notes. She is also able to Lip Read. I thought she had an easier time communicating than the couple who ran into trouble in Morrocco. The character is also depicted as a typical teen who is worried about fitting in with her peers and attracting the opposite sex. If you have not seen the movie yet, I should warn you that the character is shall we say hormonally challenged.

Part of the movie was about a couple travelling in Morocco. It got me thinking about howt travelling with a hearing loss is challenging. I travelled to Japan on my own and I ended up taking the wrong exit out of Nijo castle and by the time I got to the parking lot the Bus had left. ON the Bus was my backpack that had my passport, money and Japanese Phrase book. I was able to talk to someone in the ticket office and after awhile and they put me in a taxi and I ended up back at my hotel. I had someone at the Hotel call the tour company and I was able to get my backpack returned later that day. The tour company knew I had a hearing problem but obviously that information was not passed down to the tour guide. I learned a few things that day:

1. I am an IDIOT!
2. Next time make sure the tour guide knows I have a hearing problem.
3. NEVER leave a backpack on a tour bus. (Japan is the only country I could have gotten away with this.)
4. Don't try to hide a hearing loss.
5. Thank You and a smile goes a long way.

I did manage to make it home.

Has anyone seen the movie Babel?

I saw the movie last weekend and enjoyed it. First of all it had subtitles as the story or rather stories take place in several countries. IMHO, The Movie is about language barriers and other barriers to communication(Deafness). One of the characters is a Deaf/ Mute Japanese Girl. She communicates with Sign language and also communicates by writing notes. She is also able to Lip Read. I thought she had an easier time communicating than the couple who ran into trouble in Morrocco. The character is also depicted as a typical teen who is worried about fitting in with her peers and attracting the opposite sex. If you have not seen the movie yet, I should warn you that the character is shall we say hormonally challenged.

Part of the movie was about a couple travelling in Morocco. It got me thinking about howt travelling with a hearing loss is challenging. I travelled to Japan on my own and I ended up taking the wrong exit out of Nijo castle and by the time I got to the parking lot the Bus had left. ON the Bus was my backpack that had my passport, money and Japanese Phrase book. I was able to talk to someone in the ticket office and after awhile and they put me in a taxi and I ended up back at my hotel. I had someone at the Hotel call the tour company and I was able to get my backpack returned later that day. The tour company knew I had a hearing problem but obviously that information was not passed down to the tour guide. I learned a few things that day:

1. I am an IDIOT!
2. Next time make sure the tour guide knows I have a hearing problem.
3. NEVER leave a backpack on a tour bus. (Japan is the only country I could have gotten away with this.)
4. Don't try to hide a hearing loss.
5. Thank You and a smile goes a long way.

I did manage to make it home.

:giggle: Don't feel bad. Many of us have been in similar straits in the past. You have to live and learn...besides it makes for great stories! :D

Back