B&N Nook

I still say they are tough on the eyes.... Plus I like books....they are conversation starters. Walking up to a stranger with a Nook and asking what they are reading just looks weird. :lol: I bet I got five dates just from reading "The Shack" in public......I even carried it around for months after I was done. That book was right up there with a baby or a puppy.

To my surprise, the Nook really is very easy on the eyes. It's possible to adjust the brightness of the screen. I was fine with the way it was set right out of the box, but if you don't like it, it is adjustable. I can't explain exactly why, but I find the Nook much easier on the eyes than the Kindle. Slightly greater width, maybe something about the font used, I don't know. But just comparing the Kindle in the Staples store to using the Nook, the Nook seems far better. Personal preference, I'm sure.

I LOVE the page-turning on the Nook. It does not have that annoying flash-bang thing that Kindle does. It was faster and cleaner than actually turning a real page, and entirely unobtrusive. Every 5 or 6 pages or so, it does a very minor flash (WAY faster than Kindle) which I guess is related to how the book is downloaded.

I finished reading one book today, the one about the dog, "Come Back, Como." Absolutely no eye-strain at all.

:giggle:

That sucks. Hopefully you figure something out. This is one reason why I'm hoping nook comes out with a 3G touch model later, I don't like needing to log on to a specific network.

Well, you don't have to log on very often. It's imperative to log on to a network (your own, or could be done at the Barnes and Noble store, or any other WiFi spot you want) from the Nook to first register it. You have to register it with B&N before you can do anything. You can send credit card info seperately from your secure home computer (as I did) if you are on a public network when you register it.

After that, you can log on from your computer, buy from B&N or borrow from your local library, and then download to the Nook via the cable supplied with it. So the failure to read the password correctly was annoying, but since it was possible to circumvent it, turned out OK. So long as I have my computer handy, I don't have to log on from Nook itself to buy or borrow whatever items I want.

I'm hoping thought that Nook will come out with a software upgrade, because apparently many people have had that problem. Yet others say it works fine. So someplace there's a glitch in some copies but not in others, looks like.

Glad to see you eventually found some library books for you. I imagine that the more e-readers get popularized, the more you'll both find ebooks available and the more you'll have to wait from the library, especially for popular books.

Hope you enjoy it!

So far, so good. I suspect I will be borrowing books more than buying them. I don't often re-read regular books I own, with some exceptions, so borrowing makes a lot more sense.

Congratulation on your new Nook.

I won't get Nook or Kindle because I'm consider to get iPad 2. :)

If you only plan to read indoors, an iPad should be fine. If you want to read outdoors sometimes, then the Simple Touch Nook (NOT the Nook Color), or a Kindle will let you do that.

The iPad and the Nook Color both have reflective screens that make it very difficult to read them in bright daylight.

To my surprise, the Nook really is very easy on the eyes. It's possible to adjust the brightness of the screen. I was fine with the way it was set right out of the box, but if you don't like it, it is adjustable. I can't explain exactly why, but I find the Nook much easier on the eyes than the Kindle. Slightly greater width, maybe something about the font used, I don't know. But just comparing the Kindle in the Staples store to using the Nook, the Nook seems far better. Personal preference, I'm sure.

Nope, the new Nook has a newer screen than any of the Kindles. So it's objectively a better screen, right now. Better contrast, faster transitions, etc.

I LOVE the page-turning on the Nook. It does not have that annoying flash-bang thing that Kindle does. It was faster and cleaner than actually turning a real page, and entirely unobtrusive. Every 5 or 6 pages or so, it does a very minor flash (WAY faster than Kindle) which I guess is related to how the book is downloaded.

Yep. New screen and new technology. I'm sure the next generation of Kindle will have similar technology in it, but for now the Nook's got the superior hardware/software.

10-son-i-am-disappoint.gif

We did a long drive over the last two days. I've finished two books so far. I think I'm going to be reading a lot on this thing.

AND - yay, me! - I am actually a step ahead of my technologically-savvy nephew who always has the firstest and bestest of anything techie! And I beat him to the punch! He doesn't have any sort of e-reader yet.

Love it when old Auntie wins one for a change. :lol:

We did a long drive over the last two days. I've finished two books so far. I think I'm going to be reading a lot on this thing.

AND - yay, me! - I am actually a step ahead of my technologically-savvy nephew who always has the firstest and bestest of anything techie! And I beat him to the punch! He doesn't have any sort of e-reader yet.

Love it when old Auntie wins one for a change. :lol:

Hah, yeah, I read about 5x as many books after getting my Kindle as I did before it.

I have to say, I've actually been surprised, on the tech front - it seems to be more middle-aged people leading the charge on e-readers, but I've had a number of people who, from simply looking at them, I would not have guessed them as people who would have any interest in reading for pleasure whatsoever. (Like the teenage kids at a gas station near my house, or the very ghetto-looking 7 year old kid sitting next to me on the bus who seemed nearly as enthralled with my Kindle as he was when he saw my 3DS.)

So, after looking at them both, I came to the same decision as Beach girl and picked up the Nook Touch this morning. I'm really liking it so far, the only complaints I've got at this time is the stupid Slide to Unlock after you turn off the screen, which is apparently impossible to disable.

It's late, though, so more on that later.

Speaking as a veteran user of digital/e-book readers (has been using many different kind of digital readers since Cybook Gen1 came out), in contrast to what StSapphire've said above, you made a smart decision.

I owned Sony's, Amazon's, PocketBook's and others' e-book devices before I finally gave in to iPad's flexible and superior features after criticizing it for many months. I absolutely have no problem with reading iPad or any digital readers in the sun. Turned up the brightness in iPad usually solved the "can't read iPad in the sun!" problem. But of course, it is not a permanent nor be-all end-all solution because of a few issues like sun glare. Someone mentioned about iPad's battery-draining issue, it isn't that bad. Turned off 3G, data and a few more, the battery holds up a bit longer. Jobs made a good point tho with the comment he made to Mossberg a year ago or so, "You’re not going to read for 10 hours". He's right though. It's nearly unheard of for people to read the book for 10 hours outside or public places. If you're at home or in car, just...plug in and read. I know it's rather shocking to hear, but that's what the input for. Either e-ink or backlit do not bother my eyes at all. Kindle, anti-iPad and e-ink reader users soon will run out of excuse why e-ink reader is better than backlit-LCD devices like iPad because Apple is working on e-ink and LCD hybrid display which will give us the ability to read the book anywhere. Ian replied to that hybrid technology: "If Apple's new display ever comes to fruition it has the potential to kill off single function e-readers such as the Amazon Kindle and Sony's Reader line. Why carry around both an e-reader and a multifunction device such as a tablet when you can have the best of both worlds in the same device?"

iPad can do many, many things that Kindle, Sony Reader and others couldn't do. For a few examples, I've installed Kindle, Stanza, Kobo, Google Books, Nook and txtr/Bluefire on only one device, iPad, which give me the ability to read any kind of DRM-protected books. If you don't like their page-turning features, get iFlow Reader to read it by scroll it and it also offers auto-scroll for speedy readers. iPad is a nearly 100% library-compatible device. Well, at least, in my local area. You also can read comics and graphics-intensive magazines/books on it. I tried them on Kindle and Nook, they killed the non-iPad devices altogether. Apple and others offer interactive books for children to read and to play with. As far as I know, Kindle and non-color Nook do not come with such features for interactive books. Correct me if I'm wrong. Heck, children can even draw on coloring books on iPad. Kindle and Nook? Dry Markers? Good luck with that.

Although, I have to honest with you, I've circumvented DRM'ed books so I can transfer from my old devices to my iPad. As a former mod of MobileRead, I second StSapphire's suggestion regarding calibre. It can do many things like converting, DeDRMing (NOT supported by its developer), managing and transferring many different formats of books into different devices. And it's FREE and multi-OS support. You can even set up the server with it for you and your friends to download into the digital books wirelessly. I have a bit more than 7,700 books on it. No duplicates. Still working on adding more books into calibre.

Ever since circumventing the DRM'ed books becomes a headache for me to handle, I've decided to buy the DRM-free books as much as I could. The Top 13 DRM-free eBook Sites, List of DRM-free publishers and MobileRead's free E-Book Uploads.

I have decided that my money is better spent elsewhere. I like having my library books and I like being able to hold the book as much as I can.

So, after looking at them both, I came to the same decision as Beach girl and picked up the Nook Touch this morning. I'm really liking it so far, the only complaints I've got at this time is the stupid Slide to Unlock after you turn off the screen, which is apparently impossible to disable.

It's late, though, so more on that later.

Cool beans, and good on ya!

You may have discovered by now that the "Slide to Unlock" disappears after a few minutes and the screen-saver will come on when it's in "sleep" mode. It's pre-set to do that after 5 minutes; you can change that to a shorter or longer time if you go into "settings."

If you really want to turn the whole thing off, to save on batteries, you can press the power button on the back and hold it for 20 seconds. They tell you this on page umpty-million in the super-duper long guide to Nook that's pre-loaded on the machine, but it's not in either the paper or the electronic "quick guide" explanations.

Cool beans, and good on ya!

You may have discovered by now that the "Slide to Unlock" disappears after a few minutes and the screen-saver will come on when it's in "sleep" mode. It's pre-set to do that after 5 minutes; you can change that to a shorter or longer time if you go into "settings."

If you really want to turn the whole thing off, to save on batteries, you can press the power button on the back and hold it for 20 seconds. They tell you this on page umpty-million in the super-duper long guide to Nook that's pre-loaded on the machine, but it's not in either the paper or the electronic "quick guide" explanations.

No, no. I want the opposite.

When it's off and I press the power button, on all the Kindles and other nooks I've used, pressing the power button just turns it on. I don't want the s2u ever to come up in the first place, I want the power button to bring me right to my books.

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, that seems to be a fixed feature. Maybe it is a mild power-saver thing, so it won't accidentally come full on when you don't really want it to?

Ah dunno. Every device has its weirdnesses, and I guess this is just one of them.

So far I'm not enthralled by the nook or kindle. I so love books, but ... My problem is that I'm cheap. I head straight for the bargain books at the bookstore. I find books that are already marked down to very cheap prices to make way for new books. But online, they're just as expensive as ever. So until prices online become comparable to the stores, I won't be buying much online.

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, that seems to be a fixed feature. Maybe it is a mild power-saver thing, so it won't accidentally come full on when you don't really want it to?

Ah dunno. Every device has its weirdnesses, and I guess this is just one of them.

Yeah, I know *why* they did it. I just, y'know, don't like it, lol. Oh well, I just rooted my nook, so if it's at all fixable, I'll be fixing it!

So far I'm not enthralled by the nook or kindle. I so love books, but ... My problem is that I'm cheap. I head straight for the bargain books at the bookstore. I find books that are already marked down to very cheap prices to make way for new books. But online, they're just as expensive as ever. So until prices online become comparable to the stores, I won't be buying much online.

*cough*

There are... shall we say... alternate methods... of reading material acquisition.

You can put a free Kindle or Nook app on your new iPhone. Or Kobo. And there are lots of free books and books under $5 on all these. And you can borrow books from most libraries too. Except not on Kindle with the library books.

You can put a free Kindle or Nook app on your new iPhone. Or Kobo. And there are lots of free books and books under $5 on all these. And you can borrow books from most libraries too. Except not on Kindle with the library books.

Yet. It's coming "Soon(tm)"

A definite selling point of the Nook for me is that it is library-compatible. So far I haven't bought a single thing for it. I've only had it a few days, of course. But I've loaded 5 books from the libary onto it, I've got holds on probably about a dozen more, and I've got a library card from the Outer Banks library too; haven't even looked at their epub list but pretty sure I'll have some selection there too.

Point being: strictly speaking, you don't HAVE to buy stuff.

Back