B&N Nook

I have a Kobo (since Christmas) and love it. I download library books which is why I chose the Kobo (though the others may now be more library friendly). I had to join Philadelphia's Free Library (I live in DE) for $15/year because they have more books available than Delaware does at the moment (at least the books I like to read). Also, their website is easier to search for books on. I may join Wash DCs library system too, if I ever get down there (you have to do that on in person).

I like not having to go tothe library to return my books or get them out.

I like being able to comfortably hold the "book" with one hand...and turn the page with the same hand...though it can be a little tough if I'm holding with my left hand since the button in on the right side.

I will enjoy having it when I go on my trip later this year...will borrow and/or buy several books to read on the train...if the scenery ever gets boring (such as bad weather or night time).

*checking amazon to see what past 5 books I read*

.... empty. just like my brain :roll:

Haha, is that because you read really obscure books or because you haven't read 5 books recently? :P

How much does the books cost to read on the Nook or the Kindle? The same as paperback/hardcover books?

Kindle tries to keep the majority of their offerings to $10 or less, but a few publishers played hardball and made them allow the publishers to sell their books for more, so you're likely to find more and more now that might average for $15-$20. Most of these are ones where a hardbound might cost you $30, though.

Whether the books are cheaper or more expensive often tends to count on how new/old your tastes are. The older a book is, the more likely it is that a Kindle version will be more expensive than the paperback.

I've been trying to decide which one to get when I have the money to do so. I do really love to actually hold the book in my hand and go to the library, but there are times, when I want to curl up late at night and read and not disturb hubby with a light.

For any decent e-reader, you'll still need a light, because backlit/LCD e-readers don't work all that well for extended periods of reading. However, since you don't have to physically turn a page, you can get a booklight that is much less cumbersome than ones for actual books.

Kindle has a new deal on a WIFI Kindle for only $114

For anyone interested in this, they have the "with ads" versionfor $114 and the "without ads" version for $25 more.

I have a Kobo (since Christmas) and love it. I download library books which is why I chose the Kobo (though the others may now be more library friendly). I had to join Philadelphia's Free Library (I live in DE) for $15/year because they have more books available than Delaware does at the moment (at least the books I like to read). Also, their website is easier to search for books on. I may join Wash DCs library system too, if I ever get down there (you have to do that on in person).

I like not having to go tothe library to return my books or get them out.

I like being able to comfortably hold the "book" with one hand...and turn the page with the same hand...though it can be a little tough if I'm holding with my left hand since the button in on the right side.

I will enjoy having it when I go on my trip later this year...will borrow and/or buy several books to read on the train...if the scenery ever gets boring (such as bad weather or night time).

The Kindle has announced that it will have library support in the near future (I'd expect mid-summer or early-fall, but I haven't seen a solid date yet), and I know the nook already supports library lending.

Having used all four (my grandpa had a kobo, and my mom and grandma have nooks, and my aunt has one of the many Sony readers), I can say that the Kindle and Nook have far better screens (higher contrast - darker black for the letters, lighter backgrounds; makes the reading easier) than the kobo or Sony readers.

Having used all four (my grandpa had a kobo, and my mom and grandma have nooks, and my aunt has one of the many Sony readers), I can say that the Kindle and Nook have far better screens (higher contrast - darker black for the letters, lighter backgrounds; makes the reading easier) than the kobo or Sony readers.
When I got my Kobo I decided on the white one because it seemed easier on my eyes than the black one.
I have no opinion on the other ones. I am happy with my Kobo for now.

I've got a Kindle and love that. Since it came out there have been many more e-book readers released. Still love my Kindle, but I'm sure others have their good points too.

Basically I love e-book readers far more than paper books, especially big hardcover books. HATED trying to read Breaking Dawn in hardcover.

My e-book reader is one of those devices I'd really hate to give up. I use it daily.

Kindle is great as it can go on your PC, iPod Touch, iPhone, an actual Kindle, and you can have your books on all these devices at one time.

So you can read bits of your book anywhere, or you can be reading several at once..

When I got my Kobo I decided on the white one because it seemed easier on my eyes than the black one.
I have no opinion on the other ones. I am happy with my Kobo for now.

Sorry, I meant the screen itself, not the shell. (ie the letters on the page are black and the page itself is white). From what I've heard, it's not bad, but most people I know who've used both that and other ones are likely to recommend one of the other big two. Just a newer technology, which naturally, you pay more for.

I've got a Kindle and love that. Since it came out there have been many more e-book readers released. Still love my Kindle, but I'm sure others have their good points too.

Basically I love e-book readers far more than paper books, especially big hardcover books. HATED trying to read Breaking Dawn in hardcover.

My e-book reader is one of those devices I'd really hate to give up. I use it daily.

Same here.

Kindle is great as it can go on your PC, iPod Touch, iPhone, an actual Kindle, and you can have your books on all these devices at one time.

So you can read bits of your book anywhere, or you can be reading several at once..

I do that (reading several at once) all the time. Surprisingly, though, once you've got an actual e-reader (Kindle, nook, etc), I never actually want to read on anything else (like my computer or phone). Also, don't forget Android! Android represent!

That was one of the selling points that made my decision. I can download professional references, and have them on my work computer, my laptop, and my Kindle. I like the availability. Plus, I can send PDF research documents to my Kindle.

BTW, saw on MSNBC today that Amazon says that e-books are now outselling print books.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if you get a Kindle, you can do all those things, but Nook cannot? Nook is more of a stand-alone device that doesn't connect to the PC, etc.?

I'd like to get one that could also connect to library services, I think. That sounds useful.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if you get a Kindle, you can do all those things, but Nook cannot? Nook is more of a stand-alone device that doesn't connect to the PC, etc.?

I'd like to get one that could also connect to library services, I think. That sounds useful.

I could be wrong, but to my understanding, there is not a Nook app for all of the other devices.

All I can say is, I am in love with mine, and I use it for several different purposes.

I'll have to look into it and see if I can get references that I want for Kindle and put it to good use.

Which-ever I get, if I do, I will want to be able to download library e-books using the Adobe Digital Editions format.

Just looked up on E-Reader Comparison (Kobo's site) Kobo has apps for multiple devices. I only use the e-reader myself.

I also have some PDFs on my Kobo in addition to my books and my current library book.

Even though I return the library books, the titles remain on my e-reader so I have a history of what I've read. That's one of the great things about e-readers.

For those of you who have e-readers already, you might want to look into downloading this free software - calibre - Download for Windows - if you haven't already.

For those of you thinking about getting an e-reader, I'd say find comparisons online so that you can see which ones have the features you're interested in.

I have a Nook wifi-only. I puffy-heart love it!

I chose the Nook because, at the time, the Kindle had not announced anything regarding library lending. I went to my local library's website and they were already compatible with the Nook. I chose the wifi over the 3G or color versions because I don't need 3G, I can have so many books downloaded already. Plus, my phone can become a wifi hotspot if I were desperate. I specifically didn't want the color for ease of reading in sunlight. I sat by the pool on a cruise port day in January and just read all day. It was GREAT!

I can download the Nook for my PC, if I wanted to read on it, though I haven't done so. My Nook essentially lives in my pocketbook, but I do have the app on my phone. So I can pick up right were I left off on either device.

I bought the Nook originally to use for travel only. T\On the last cruise I took before buying the Nook, I brought so many books on board I almost went over my luggage weight limit for the flight. And I ended up leaving the books on the ship so save the weight for the flight home. But I use the Nook so much more than I originally though I would!

Not quite. They're talking about programs that run on your PC/Mac/phone/etc to use those devices to read the books on. And the nook has those, too. You can still connect any e-reader to your PC - that's one of the primary ways I keep my library organized. To the best of my knowledge, the nook can do anything the Kindle can, including reading materials you've purchased on different computers and phones. (Though honestly, after you've read on your e-reader, you won't likely want to.)

Sounds like Kindle is best one to go with after reading this thread.?

It's simply the most popular. I'm thrilled with mine, but I've just as often recommended the nook to family members and coworkers asking my opinion (I'm an e-reader early adopter in my social circles, so everyone asks me, lol).

I would definitely only recommend one of those two, though. I've not seen any other that's nearly as good, yet.

Which-ever I get, if I do, I will want to be able to download library e-books using the Adobe Digital Editions format.

I think you mostly mean through the Overdrive library system. Adobe DE is just one format they offer, and they've recently announced upcoming support for Kindle (but don't currently support it). Whether that will be a Whispernet (wireless network Kindle uses) distribution, or Adobe DE support on the Kindle (I'd guess probably not), who knows? If it's a huge deal, I'd either go with nook (because that's the model librarians are most likely to be familiar with and able to help you set it up if you have issues), or wait to get any until Kindle library support is actually released (to see if it sucks or not).

For those of you who have e-readers already, you might want to look into downloading this free software - calibre - Download for Windows - if you haven't already.

For those of you thinking about getting an e-reader, I'd say find comparisons online so that you can see which ones have the features you're interested in.

1000000% support use of Calibre. This is the absolute gold standard software for e-books. Hell, I will personally walk anyone having problems with it through their problems if they PM me about them, is how much I appreciate this software, lol.

I have a Nook wifi-only. I puffy-heart love it!

I chose the Nook because, at the time, the Kindle had not announced anything regarding library lending. I went to my local library's website and they were already compatible with the Nook. I chose the wifi over the 3G or color versions because I don't need 3G, I can have so many books downloaded already. Plus, my phone can become a wifi hotspot if I were desperate. I specifically didn't want the color for ease of reading in sunlight. I sat by the pool on a cruise port day in January and just read all day. It was GREAT!

I can download the Nook for my PC, if I wanted to read on it, though I haven't done so. My Nook essentially lives in my pocketbook, but I do have the app on my phone. So I can pick up right were I left off on either device.

I bought the Nook originally to use for travel only. T\On the last cruise I took before buying the Nook, I brought so many books on board I almost went over my luggage weight limit for the flight. And I ended up leaving the books on the ship so save the weight for the flight home. But I use the Nook so much more than I originally though I would!

I probably shouldn't have gotten the 3G Kindle, but I do like (and then later regret when I look at my CC statement) being able to just buy a book literally anywhere I want.

I have a new Nook Color that I got about 2 months ago and its amazing, it does everything the kindle does and more. I can connect to the internet and surf the web on it, read and there is a PC download and App for Nook. PLUS it has color! I was without a PC for a very short time and I was able to do my school work from the nook that I needed to get done, it was nice! NOOK NOOK NOOK lol

I have a new Nook Color that I got about 2 months ago and its amazing, it does everything the kindle does and more. I can connect to the internet and surf the web on it, read and there is a PC download and App for Nook. PLUS it has color! I was without a PC for a very short time and I was able to do my school work from the nook that I needed to get done, it was nice! NOOK NOOK NOOK lol

Haha, don't you go leading people astray. That's no e-reader, that's just a cheaper tablet. Backlit screen = not great for extended reading. (Definitely better for magazines, though).

You should root it and install CyanogenMod on it.

i never had one on my own im hope i would get one somedays

my grandma had one on her own for reading and lots of mores

I've been looking at one and don't know what's the best or latest e-reader today. I saw the E-Ink idea and I can imagine myself reading and looking at it for a long time unlike on a Computer screen where I must take breaks. Is the Kindle brand the only e-readers that can offer this? How bad is Nook's screen display? The color looks cool, but I want a device solely for reading and note-taking along with built-in dictionary (which is included in the Kindle), so...

How good is the note-taking? I have paperback books over here with many pages of notes written in my notebook. Pen and paper note-taking method seems to suck, but it feels I am learning, which is what I'm here for. Does the high-lighting feature copy all the words highlighted into another page or what? Do I need to download anything to make an e-reader better?

I love the idea of going anywhere with over 10 books and have a "pen and paper" idea already in it. If anything, I need a shortcut to speed reading and learning faster from reading books. ;)

Back