Awwww!

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
My uncle with Pete Rose. I dont think they have connected since he last played for the Phillies. A priceless picture that's for sure. I remember Pete Rose being really nice to me when I stayed with my uncle in Philly during the summer of 1985. This just brought back good memories of him and his teammates.

Attachments

• Pete Rose.jpg
    Pete Rose.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 34
Ozzie Virgil, Jr. He played for the Phillies, Braves and then Blue Jays before retiring. He is at some retired baseball player conference in Philly now and sharing all these photos. :) He never tells me when he is on this side of the country...grr!

aww. I have to look up at your uncle because i dont recall his name. I was growing and obsessed looking at all baseball players names and every teams. I was a huge yankee fan. I couldnt stand pete rose LOL because he did play pretty good. damn lol!

aww. I have to look up at your uncle because i dont recall his name. I was growing and obsessed looking at all baseball players names and every teams. I was a huge yankee fan. I couldnt stand pete rose LOL because he did play pretty good. damn lol!

Why couldnt you stand him? He was really nice to me when I was 13 years old. He and Mike Schimitz were the only players to really make the effort to make me feel welcome at the Phillies games. At the time, I had no understanding of how well-known they were until later.

Why couldnt you stand him? He was really nice to me when I was 13 years old. He and Mike Schimitz were the only players to really make the effort to make me feel welcome at the Phillies games. At the time, I had no understanding of how well known they were until later.

Pete rose play pretty good back in old times, that he was very hyper and very fast. He hit pretty good. i was like, no no no no while he play on his teams against yankees teams. But I didnt forget him that he hit very good. I dont hate him. I remember mike schimitz and he was a good player.

Pete rose play pretty good back in old times, that he was very hyper and very fast. He hit pretty good. i was like, no no no no while he play on his teams against yankees teams. But I didnt forget him that he hit very good. I dont hate him. I remember mike schimitz and he was a good player.

Pete was a hall of famer until it was stripped away, I think? Due to gambling or something. It has been so long so I cant reallly remember. I remember my uncle being so upset over it and forbade the family to talk about it in his presence. At one Christmas get together, I remember my mom telling me pls not to mention Pete Rose. I didnt understand why...looking back, I can now understand so that pic that was taken today was kinda bittersweet in a way.

Pete was a hall of famer until it was stripped away, I think? Due to gambling or something. It has been so long so I cant reallly remember. I remember my uncle being so upset over it and forbade the family to talk about it in his presence. At one Christmas get together, I remember my mom telling me pls not to mention Pete Rose. I didnt understand why...looking back, I can now understand so that pic that was taken today was kinda bittersweet in a way.

yeah and something bet on baseball teams and tax evasion. Oh well. it's his life, but im surprised that his name was removed from the hall of famer. i think they should to leave it alone. I dont remember what was the major reason either. so i understand what yoru uncle feels about it.

yeah and something bet on baseball teams and tax evasion. Oh well. it's his life, but im surprised that his name was removed from the hall of famer. i think they should to leave it alone. I dont remember what was the major reason either. so i understand what yoru uncle feels about it.

They were close back then but life happened. Just nice to see them together again even if was just for one day.

I believe i have seen the old photo of your uncle when he was young. I dont know if my brother still has baseball card collections. :hmm:

Oh...my uncle was the catcher BTW...

I took a peek at his past baseball history. Very familar because of his thick eyebrows.

My cousin has his eyebrows. hehehe.

He was born in Puerto Rico.

Pics of my cousins (Ozzie's sons) The one on the left resembles him more than the one on the right. The one on the right resembles my grandfather and my deaf brother.

Attachments

• Jose and Jake.jpg
    Jose and Jake.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 8
I cant believe how young he looks!

Attachments

• ozzie.jpg
    ozzie.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 7
I cannot remember if your uncle was on the 1980 Phillies team that won the World Series. If he was, then wow!!!

I was in Cincinnati when Rose was banned from game of baseball. Such a sad occasion. I don't think Rose will ever be let in Hall of Fame.

I cannot remember if your uncle was on the 1980 Phillies team that won the World Series. If he was, then wow!!!

I was in Cincinnati when Rose was banned from game of baseball. Such a sad occasion. I don't think Rose will ever be let in Hall of Fame.

Nope...he wasnt on the team yet. He was in the 1983 World Series in which they lost. Here is the pic...

Attachments

• World Series.jpg
    World Series.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 5
It was obviously the Orioles' year, but it's amazing that your uncle got to live a baseball player's dream of playing in World Series.

It was obviously the Orioles' year, but it's amazing that your uncle got to live a baseball player's dream of playing in World Series.

Him and his dad, Ozzie Virgil Sr. :) My cousin (his son) tried to live the dream and played in minor leagues but hurt his arm so didnt happen. Woudl have been cool though.

My cousin has his eyebrows. hehehe.

He was born in Puerto Rico.

Pics of my cousins (Ozzie's sons) The one on the left resembles him more than the one on the right. The one on the right resembles my grandfather and my deaf brother.

I cant believe how young he looks!

yeah i remember somehow. my brother and i used to collect tons tons of baseball cards. i did study every players on the cards. :shock: dont ask me now because i forget. :lol: your cousins do have same eyebrows as him. yep. my good friend who passed away and he was a fan of phillies. so he probably mentioned him thats what i remember somehow.

Back