Awesome Audi Visit

fulminty

Reaction score
Well, this audiologist visit with the new doc went much better. Not only did she not try to bait and switch me, she's not interested in bilking my insurance company. She wants to get me into see some USF profs/researchers to see what the newest technology can tell us about my hearing and find the best technology to fit my loss. She seems a researcher at heart, and what she's suggesting dovetails perfectly with me wanting to understand my hearing more fully. Bonus: USF has a strong program that is ranked top 10 nationally.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Ugh...not so awesome anymore : (

WTF #1: After waiting for a follow-up message from the USF contact after initial messages, the response I got was basically "Oh, we were told by your audi that you were interested in CI. While we can do some testing with hearing aids and such, we've got the next few weeks totally booked up as we're a pretty big program." While with my audi, I definitely mentioned that I was interested in Hearing Aids, Hearing Aids, Hearing Aids, and CI- not remotely.

WTF#2: During that "awesome" visit, I absolutely mentioned having a really great experience with a Phonak loaner a few years ago. And so while trying to co-ordinate a visit with my audi, and mentioning I'm mostly interested in the Naidas. Today, a message from her office assistant- they don't deal with the Naidas. They don't do Phonak AT ALL. Resound only.

This is now the 2nd audi that has gone to crap on me....ugh. Two months wasted on something I wanted taken care of by now.

That totally sucks. Hope you find an Audi that deals with Phonaks :)

WTF #1: After waiting for a follow-up message from the USF contact after initial messages, the response I got was basically "Oh, we were told by your audi that you were interested in CI. While we can do some testing with hearing aids and such, we've got the next few weeks totally booked up as we're a pretty big program." While with my audi, I definitely mentioned that I was interested in Hearing Aids, Hearing Aids, Hearing Aids, and CI- not remotely.

WTF#2: During that "awesome" visit, I absolutely mentioned having a really great experience with a Phonak loaner a few years ago. And so while trying to co-ordinate a visit with my audi, and mentioning I'm mostly interested in the Naidas. Today, a message from her office assistant- they don't deal with the Naidas. They don't do Phonak AT ALL. Resound only.

This is now the 2nd audi that has gone to crap on me....ugh. Two months wasted on something I wanted taken care of by now.

It might be helpful for you to straight up tell the Audi that you are NOT CONSIDERING a CI at all.
You might be a perfect candidate and you might get significant benefit from a CI but it is your choice. The audiologist should not be setting you up with people who she has apparently told that you are interested in a CI.
(I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it is funny that audiologists think that leaving a voice message is OK. Um, no. It isn't.)

Hearing aids, communication methods, and cochlear implants are all surrounded with "judgements" (I can't think of a better term right now).

It is your right to make it clear to your audiologist that you are not interested in a CI and that you are only looking for a better hearing aid.

However, I don't support what your audiologist did but if you have bad enough hearing to be a candidate for a cochlear implant, it is likely that a hearing aid, even Phonak naida, won't give you enough amplification. I have Naidas that are maxed out and I love them but I still struggle every day. Two years ago my audiologist made it clear that hearing aids are never going to be enough and i guess im ok with that. If my insurance covered CIs, I'd absolutely get one as soon as possible.
But that is my choice.
You are absolutely entitled to our own choices about your healthcare.

whatdidyousay! said:
I found this link can it help you ?

Hearing and Hearing Loss - Experts near you (old redirect) | Phonak - life is on

I had looked at the US counterpart to that page but sadly none of the listed providers that are local are in my insurance network. But thanks for the thought!

I had looked at the US counterpart to that page but sadly none of the listed providers that are local are in my insurance network. But thanks for the thought!

Are you positive your insurance covers hearing aids? Most do not. Just something to double check. Most insurance plans do cover CI though.

Even those that do, you need to verify how much. When I got my HA, my insurance only covered $2K. They now cover much more...look before you leap.

Laura

Are you sure it was that specific audi that is letting you down? It reads as if other people are responding to your original requests, not that specific audi. Keep in mind that some people hear the words "cochlear implant" and get carried away.

I would suggest that you go back to that specific audi and explain all the feedback you've gotten, that audi should be able to clarify what happened.

Also, even though you prefer Phonak, it will not hurt to try out Resound products. I've been proven wrong many times before, and learned to keep an open mind.

Also: I've been told to stay away from cheap hearing aids sold on eBay, but went ahead and got a brand-new analog aid for $200, and it turns out to be the most reliable aid we've had in years.....

Lau2046 said:
Even those that do, you need to verify how much. When I got my HA, my insurance only covered $2K. They now cover much more...look before you leap.

Laura

My insurance is awesome on HA coverage. 500+10% is what I pay. When my first audi billed insurance for $6800, my total out of pocket would have been $700, because they have contractual discounts with network providers. That first audi simply decided she hadn't ever signed a contract and tried to switch me from Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams HA to Sit Home and Watch TV HA.

Green- The audi (whom I shall call Audi #2, since she succeeded Bait And Switch Audi mentioned in my initial post) made the initial contact/referral to the USF Program, and on whatever paperwork she submitted, she marked me down as interested in CI only. The only real contact I ever initiated with USF were emails along the line of "Hey, so when can we schedule an appointment." And about two weeks later, after my third email, I got the response about allegedly being interested in CI, and oh gosh, USF is like soooo booked up.

During my appt with Audi#2, I specifically stated that I was not considering CI at this time. I specifically described features I was interested in for new hearing aids, even mentioning color preferences. NO ambiguity whatsoever.

And all this might still have been okay, given that USF could do some HA specific testing to help guide me to the best possible fit if...
...they weren't booked up for several weeks
...I hadn't started the quest for new HA back in February
...work wasn't about to get crazy busy with seasonal business
...my new boss, while amiable, wasn't so soft-spoken and didn't mumble the shizz out of everything.

All these weeks later from my first appt (made in February for early March) with the first audi, and I haven't so much as tested out a hearing aid.

Imma lay all my cards on the table with the new audi, who I see week from today, and be like "Let's Git-R-Done".

Ok, thanks for the clarification (I think...)...looks like you really haven't gotten back to audi#1, right?

Unfortunately most audis have their own opinion....and you know that saying about opinions....

Just remember one rule...YOU are the one who is going to decide what is best for YOU.

All audi's are hearing, and only know things from trial & error/process of elimination, and all people hear things differently. Sometimes you have to go through several audi's to find the one that understands you the best.

Good luck...

It is a different business getting the hearing aids. I have been through several audiologists and they are good. It only took me 20 years of them to figure out on my own about distortion and that I got a lot of it. Then I was able ask different questions in the office and get better answers.
I go to a hearing tech now with 35 yrs. of experience. She is good still with that her preconceived notions of my financial situation- which I brought about, kept her from selling me on the phonak naida's. I spotted them on a display shelf and said hey what about these things? I have them now and am happy but still adjusting them.
Any way what I am trying badly to get at is the way I ask questions and the knowledge I bring with me is not enough. I have to be on my toes thinking and sorting information that is new and often right in front of me but not known to me while I am in the office. The audi's and techs have their preconcieved notions. I have to sort my way through those.
Some places are just cash register operations, and some put on one big show of caring but then you are in the clinch haggling like at the car lot.
The finding of someone you can communicate with and that sells good products is still not a perfect situation and there will be stress from this or that as you work from your different places to ending up with your workable hearing situation. Some of it is just blind luck, but like the old saw goes something about you make your luck. It does no good to blame them fulminty just keep trudging towards your goal. I have not said a thing you do not already know but hey am an ally from far away.

Okay...so update.

Still with Audi 3. Today got my first pair of hearing aids to test drive. The plan had been Phonak Naida RICs. Except the receivers that came in? Dead. The replacement pair? Dead. So went with some Starkey BTEs. With one exception a few years ago, I've never found the 1st office visit with the hearing aids to be helpful.

So putting them in action? The right ear is okay, things are a little weird, but the left ear....yikes. It's sort of like I'm hearing things that are coming from water. Like a constant flowing/blowing. Also picking up all sorts of background noise that I haven't gotten for years, which, hey- not a problem per se, but SHIIZZZZ. A/C unit kicked on from across the room, and I thought hurricane season had shown up in my yard. The one clear cut benefit- feedback has been negligible.

I'll give them a couple more days, but I'm pretty sure it's onto plan B. I like the audi though.

And back to thieving Audi #1- the hearing aids that I never received from this woman I after I emailed her saying that her services were no longer required? I allegedly paid the $500 deductible on them (trust me, I wouldn't forget about 500), which makes me think I have to report some fraudulent crap with my muy awesome insurance company.

Back