Aw, What A Fake!!!

They are even worse with interpreters. They always get "lucky" when they discover that the janitor is fluent in ASL so they have him doing the interpreting.

:lol: That does happened to me when I was janitor.

What drives crazy the most is that women in their 50s look like they are 20 years old with a sexy figure or business women showing their cleavage while "on the job".

Agree there. I cannot remember the name of some western movie, where a cowboy was wearing a modern wrist-watch instead of a fob-watch. :giggle:

I know. I was watching some movie not long ago that was set in the 1950's, and the baby in it was sucking on a pacifier with a plastic, butterfly shaped base (called a Binky around my area, but known as an othodontic pacifier.) They didn't even start making those until the
1980's.:giggle:

I remember in the movie "Titanic" one of the passenger's hairstyle wasnt of the 1910's era. The woman had her hair down, shoulder-length and it was styled just like the popular styles of the late 1990s. During the early 1900s, women put their hair up in a bun and wore those large hats with elaborate flower designs on them.

I remember in the movie "Titanic" one of the passenger's hairstyle wasnt of the 1910's era. The woman had her hair down, shoulder-length and it was styled just like the popular styles of the late 1990s. During the early 1900s, women put their hair up in a bun and wore those large hats with elaborate flower designs on them.

Yeppers. And things like that are so obvious when you are watching the movie. It makes me wonder why the producers and director did not pick up on it when they watched the screenings each day.:dunno2: I know, for me, it just jumps off the screen.

Is it just us, deaf people, that can pick the fakes easily or what? (because we are more visual than hearies). How about the movie industries hiring the Deaf for those kind of jobs?

Is it just us, deaf people, that can pick the fakes easily or what? (because we are more visual than hearies). How about the movie industries hiring the Deaf for those kind of jobs?

I would take the job!!! :)

Those thoughts have been lurking half-formed for a while, Ozzie. Don't get me wrong, the kids we hung out with loved Saturday matinees, but merciless nitpicking them was part of the group fun. My deaf sister seemed to find the visual funnies first.

As unlikely as it may seem, the deafer I got, the more errors in writing seemed to bother me. Not just its syntax, but the content and images. Maybe I became more visually atuned as I depended more on sight than sound and it affected the intensity of how I read.

Here's a fakey thing from movies that carries into real life. In the movies, both cops and crooks hold their handguns straight up close to their faces. People think it's a real safety position, but it's not. It's just so the close-up catches the actor's face and gun in the same frames.

It's not safe at all. If the gun went off, even if it didn't shoot off a nose or ear, muzzle blast and side-spit would blind and/or deafen. In all police or personal protection procedures, we teach to hold the muzzle straight out and chest high in the direction you're looking. Never by your face.

Yet lots of newbies on the range want to copy the movies, and instructors have a hard time getting them to un-learn the bad habit. Police instructors say rookies have to unlearn the same habit.

That would be a great idea! In answer to your question, I'm not deaf, but I am very visual, and have always been a visual learner. But I would think that the majority of deaf would have an advantage. While they all may not be visual learners, the majority have trained their visual sense to a degree that hearing people don't.

...Here's a fakey thing from movies that carries into real life. In the movies, both cops and crooks hold their handguns straight up close to their faces. People think it's a real safety position, but it's not. It's just so the close-up catches the actor's face and gun in the same frames.

It's not safe at all. If the gun went off, even if it didn't shoot off a nose or ear, muzzle blast and side-spit would blind and/or deafen. In all police or personal protection procedures, we teach to hold the muzzle straight out and chest high in the direction you're looking. Never by your face.

Yet lots of newbies on the range want to copy the movies, and instructors have a hard time getting them to un-learn the bad habit. Police instructors say rookies have to unlearn the same habit.
Right you are. The same in the military. We women did better at the pistol range for first-time qualifiers because we had no bad habits to unlearn. We followed exactly what the range instructor taught us, and we did fine. :)

I once read that instructors were having problems with people training as field agents because they were copying the TV show, "24."

I recall the days of when "Mission Impossible" was cancelled because of a distant war.

Sometimes, Hollywood does come too close for comfort. I wonder if they've learned their lesson and . . . kept on the fantasy side.

I remember speaking with a lawyer, telling him that in its infancy, I'd liked Law & Order. Right away, he said, "The antics done by the lawyers in 'Law & Order' would have slammed them into jail; 'Contempt of Court' without question."

A couple of bloopers -

'Gladiator' - In the "Battle of Carthage" in the Colosseum, one of the chariots is turned over. Once the dust settles you can see a gas cylinder in the back of the chariot.

'Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl' - Just as Jack says, "On deck, you scabrous dogs," to the very left edge of the screen over Jack's shoulder is a grip crew member with a tan cowboy hat, white short sleeved tee-shirt and sunglasses, just standing there looking out to sea.

:doh::giggle:

The TV series? I don't recall that happening.

Obviously, you didn't watch television (or, at least, found that particular series entertaining).

Last Aired: Saturday February 24, 1990

The Gulf War or Persian Gulf War (2 August 1990 – 28 February 1991)

I, the others who are feared into not saying so, remember . . .

Obviously, you didn't watch television (or, at least, found that particular series entertaining).

Last Aired: Saturday February 24, 1990

The Gulf War or Persian Gulf War (2 August 1990 – 28 February 1991)

I, the others who are feared into not saying so, remember . . .

I think Reba was thinking of the original Mission: Impossible. The one you mentioned is in fact, a sequel to the original. It was short-lived due to the bad ratings. They had to compete against The Cosby Show and A Different World at the time.

I think Reba was thinking of the original Mission: Impossible. The one you mentioned is in fact, a sequel to the original. It was short-lived due to the bad ratings. They had to compete against The Cosby Show and A Different World at the time.
Bingo, Banjo! I was thinking of the original series. I don't think I ever watched the sequel.

I once read that instructors were having problems with people training as field agents because they were copying the TV show, "24."

Yep, and lots of other shows.

I've talked to a lot of police officers and sheriff's deputies at a novel writers' site, at a technical fireams site, and on the shooting range. So far, none have ever used the term "perp" for perpetrator or "vic" for victim to colleagues or in reports. Yet that's all I see in the closed captions on TV cop shows.

At first, I thought it was an abbreviation transcriber used, but hearies told me "perp" and "vic" was what the actors were saying.

Back