autism

Dr. Temple Grandin has much discussion on it though. I'm excited to see her here in May!
I have heard her speak. She is powerful, although somewhat "quirky." Yes, I regard Asperger's as being a learning disability in social skills. Obviously, both problems interact to make the autistic characteristics seem worse.

I regard people with the trait for autism to be very vulnerable to social issues in the environment. Thus, parental dissent and parental conflict with the school make it worse.

We've had at least one other parent/poster, if not more, with similar scenarios. I cannot remember who they are. Can anybody remember? We could direct taylorjade to those threads if we can remember who those parents are.

I believe that was the certain person but i am not sure if this person is comfortable if i was pointing at. I will PM you if you think this person does not mind if this person's SN mentions on AD.

Yes, but you're more on the mild end of the spectrum right? You can reconize the basics but you can't reconize more sophsicated facial expression....and you prolly can't speechread too well right? It just goes to reconize that autism is a spectrum. Some mild autistic people can reconize happy, sad and angry faces....others cannot.

That's actually true, but for some reason I am surprised you know I am a bad speech reader. :hmm:

I believe that was the certain person but i am not sure if this person is comfortable if i was pointing at. I will PM you if you think this person does not mind if this person's SN mentions on AD.

Hi FF: I did get your PM, thank you for the confidentiality! Actually, it wasn't what/who I was thinking of, but she might be another good resource! No, I was thinking that we had at least 1 or more new posters join the forum in the last few months in regards to kids with autism, but maybe I am thinking of something else! I should just go look for myself! :)

:wave:MCB, yeah, I've just seen her uTube stuff and she is powerful... and does have some specific traits that I'm familiar with.
I agree about vulnerability too.

That's actually true, but for some reason I am surprised you know I am a bad speech reader
. That's b/c reading facial expressions is a big part of speechreading.
and how much generally isn't known about the brain and about what is labeled as "autism" or "Aspberger"
Yes, I know. It really is hard....then again it's even harder figuring out where the line is between ADD (which can have a social skill deficect component) or LD with social skill defiects vs. autism or Asperger's. I hate it when lack of speech or social issues are automaticly assumed to be autism or Aspergers.....and did you know that Asperger's and autism may be two related but distinct disorders?

It has been a while since I posted. I have a feeling you might be thinking of me, and some others. I am a mom of a young lady with autism. She is moderate to severe and just turned 5 last week. Some of what you mentioned are things she experiences too. Yes she can tell an angry face, crying, or excited. She also picks up on anxiety in a raised voice and will tell us to stop. She also has issues with her clothes being rolled up or not covering her stomach. Also textures of some clothing bug her. Socks must be on and on correctly (and match.) She lines things up a lot but also loves to knock them all haywire again. We had to work for years to get eye contact outside her really wanting something. She wasn't an obvious avoider but she wasn't going to offer eye contact either. A lot of kids are picky eaters... but kids with autism usually have a reason for it... be it texture, color... etc. Often foods can't touch each other. They might get on a habit of obsessing over one food for a while. These are not common for two year olds. They often do not care if foods touch cause they finger eat a lot and its on the run anyway... They do not care if things match.... as long as you let them keep going. The communication of 10 signs is a good thing. My daughter did not even have that or any semblence of words at 2. (she did at 12 months but regressed) She does have fine and gross motor delays too, but many many things can have that symptom. There are some things that remind me of several kids on the spectrum in your statements and make me think you should call to have an evaluation done. And there are programs to get into that do not take 3 years. Federal funding has started for early intervention. Child development services in your area can start you off but may not know much about the hearing aspects of it. (we had issues when I wanted my daughter to learn sign and now I am teaching her that as well as the picture exchange she gets through school) I had to go behind her pediatricians back to get her tested. It is not the end of the world. But the sooner you get him services to jump start his development if it is a delay the better off he will do in the long run.

I forgot to add that in 2013 when the DSM V comes out Asbergers will be gone... they are melting it in under Autism.

Asbergers will be gone... they are melting it in under Autism.
That is because Asperger's is overdiagnosed. It is a label-driven world. Kids with mild autistic-like characteristics have other diagnoses which will provide them with the services they need. Such as OCD and ADHD

Rubiegem:

thank you for your post, since my last post i have met with my sons teacher from the local deaf school and she believes she has some contacts that will be able to help and to evaluate him as soon as possible that specialize in both autism and deafness, so i'm very happy about that.
i was wondering though, all of these red flags, do they have to be consistent?
for example my son, on the day we went to see the pediatrician, was wearing one black sock and one white and he did not like it, he didn't throw a tantrum or anything but he was clearly confused about it and wanted me to fix it, so i did. i mentioned this to the pediatrician and she noted it as a possible red flag, however i put him in mismatching socks again the next day and he was fine with it.
also in regards to his cars being lined up, he does play other ways, there are times where he will want to play alone and line them up and he makes what seems like engine sounds (which i find pretty cool considering he can't hear, my guess is always that he's mimicking the vibrating feeling he feels while he's in the car) but other times he will almost demand that i come down and lay on the floor and play with his cars with him, he likes for our cars to crash into eachother and fly around.

so it seems like everything the pediatrician noted for him on the red flag list, other than the picky eating, he does but very inconsistently, does this say anything about whether or not he he may be autistic? or maybe what level he may be at?

thanks to everyone who has posted, i really appreciate it

I'm really happy to hear that you connected with his teacher, and that she is going to help you find the right people to do an evaluation.
He may or may not fall on the spectrum, but at least you'll be armed with the knowledge so that you can get him what he needs.

Good luck!! Everything will work itself out.

I am very glad, also. That demanding that you play with him is an extremely positive sign. Education and Autism: Floor Time It works into an excellent therapy for many conditions. His fascination with vibrating lips and cars can be an excellent beginning for teaching him to use his CI.

Never jump to conclusions about autistic-like behavior.

My daughter can do the same thing.. one day it is fine, the next we are crawling over ourselves to figure out what is wrong. She does insist we play with her some too, but that is after a lot of therapy. She is also moderately severe on the sliding scale. No the lining up is not all the time. There may be something else in her sensory system that has precedence at a given time and she might not notice I put her in a shirt she doesnt normally care for. Distraction is used a lot in therapy cause it works. When she first regressed it was more intermittent before it became habit and then therapy made it intermittent again. Like I mentioned red flags do not indicate it is Autism... it just simply means it would not hurt to have it checked off the Not the problem list. Kids can have quirks and not have a problem too! I know I have a few myself!!

y sons teacher from the local deaf school and she believes she has some contacts that will be able to help and to evaluate him as soon as possible that specialize in both autism and deafness, so i'm very happy about that
. YAY!!!!! Maybe he could go to the local deaf school!!!!!

thank you to everyone who has responded to my post, i will be updating along the way and i'm sure i'll have more questions soon.

my son has another appointment with the same pediatrician i mentioned before in early may, where she will do her best to evaluate him, and his teacher from the local deaf school is still gathering information for me so i can get in contact with someone who can help me with my sons specific needs

i really appreciate all of the help from you guys

and to deafdyke:

by local i mean quite a few hours away but if thats the school he needs to be in when he gets to school age (omg he's already 2 whole years old!!) then i'm ready to pack my bags :)

ut if thats the school he needs to be in when he gets to school age (omg he's already 2 whole years old!!) then i'm ready to pack my bag
YAY!!!!! It's very common for parents of dhh kids to move near deaf schools. The early childhood programs at Deaf Schools are like nothing you can get in the mainstream.

Back