Australian cat strays 2,400 miles, returns home

JamieLynn

Reaction score
Australian cat strays 2,400 miles, returns home - Pet health- msnbc.com

Me loves kitty happy endings, hence I had to post this :D

HOBART, Australia - A cat named Clyde was reunited with his owner on Wednesday after a mysterious three-year odyssey in which the long-haired Himalayan strayed 2,400 miles into the Australian Outback.

Ashleigh Sullivan, 19, said she had given up hope of ever finding Clyde after he vanished when he was about one year old from her family home near Hobart city in Australia's island state of Tasmania.

"I'm positive he remembers. He's not acting like he's suddenly appeared somewhere and is frantic," Sullivan said as she tearfully held her contented cat.

A nurse found Clyde wandering at a hospital in the remote Queensland state town of Cloncurry and cared for him for four months before taking him to a local vet as she was leaving town and could not take the cat with her.

The vet, Donna Weber, traced Clyde's owner from an identification microchip that was imbedded under the cat's skin.

But no one has a clue how Clyde managed the 185-mile sea journey across the Bass Strait from Tasmania off mainland Australia's southeast coast, and then about more than 2,000 miles overland to Cloncurry, deep in the arid interior of the Outback.

An animal transport company returned the cat to Hobart for free — flying most of the way.

"It's pretty special to have him back." Sullivan said. "I'm overwhelmed."

yeah i read that one yesterday. clyde is lucky. microchip works wonderful.

Oh... did I re-post this article? :shrug:

If so, could any of the Admins merge threads?

:ty:

I wish they had found Mozart too. I mean a cat can't just disappear :( It still amazes me how much I miss my two beloving cats...

Oh... did I re-post this article? :shrug:

If so, could any of the Admins merge threads?

:ty:

I wish they had found Mozart too. I mean a cat can't just disappear :( It still amazes me how much I miss my two beloving cats...

noooooo. you are the first one to post it here. I saw it on news site.

When I read such stories as this...it makes me appreciate my pets all the more.....Never was really a cat lover...until 1 Cat came along! He even drank coffee with me in the AM, and sat in my lap while I read the paper, and seemed to read it too. Always slept on my bed, along with my dog.

He's passed on now, and I never got another cat until a few months ago. He looks just like my former cat, and gives me love, unconditionally! He's a member of our family.

rockin'robin: what do you mean a cat came along? Just a cat that you didn't know? And you decided to keep it then ;) ?

One of my friends has one too but she's not a cat lover at all like I am. I love Mowgli so much!!!! He's just the sweetest. When my friend "saw" him the first days... she didn't react first hand but then she went up to the vet with the cat saying that she thinks the cat is lost. The cat though didn't have a chip :( and after many flyers she never found owner... :shrug:

So the cat is now with her during the day but she throws the cat out of the house in the evening because she doesn't like the cat to wake them up :giggle: I keep rolling my eyes at this but I can see that the cat still is happy to be with her during day :D

I'm glad you found yourself a new cat! There are many cats that need a home!

When I read such stories as this...it makes me appreciate my pets all the more.....Never was really a cat lover...until 1 Cat came along! He even drank coffee with me in the AM, and sat in my lap while I read the paper, and seemed to read it too. Always slept on my bed, along with my dog.

He's passed on now, and I never got another cat until a few months ago. He looks just like my former cat, and gives me love, unconditionally! He's a member of our family.

awwwww see how smart cats are!! Just kidding! of course any animals are awesome!! I believe that cats found you that they sense of having good vibes with you that you are a great mama that cats are looking for great mama like you. :D

Yes, both cats were black tuxedos, both boys and strays!.....Now there is a female cat (stray), all black, very friendly & sweet on my patio, sleeps under my car.....ahhhhh! We do feed her....but no, can't come inside.

Back