auditory verbal therapy

mayuri

Reaction score
hi guys..i want those people to share their views n experience about therapies which have help them to improve their listening skills without relying on lips reading.i will appreciate if u will share.thankyou

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Why is lipreading considered a "crutch?" You don't need auditory verbal therapy. You can already hear, and even hearing people lipread.

I think it is cruel on deaf children.

i need it bec i consulted senior audi of banglore he suggested me that my hear loss is mild n i started using hear aids late so in those 8 years i relay on lipsreading so i need to practice to re train my brain to listen with lipreads to improve more speech understanding on cellphone.i dont understand people on cellphone which is biggest prob for me.he also said bec of it u are not using ur ha at ur best.please understand my situation dont compare it with deaf people as i m hoh.

please understand my situation dont compare it with deaf people as i m hoh.

I'm Hoh ... and I KNOW it's cruel.

AVT, by not permitting any speechreading, basically teaches you to GUESS what is being said, instead of using all the available information (visual cues and speechreading) to fill in more gaps and have a better understanding.

If you have mild or even moderate hearing loss and you're having trouble hearing on a phone, you'd be much better off looking at technology (amplifiers, blue tooth, FM loop, DAI etc) that would help improve your understanding that way, rather than waste your time with AVT.

Ah, I understand. Do you listen to the radio? Perhaps listening to TV without seeing it would help as well. Listening to a book on tape/cd could be an easy option too. Good luck.

AVT, by not permitting any speechreading, basically teaches you to GUESS what is being said, instead of using all the available information (visual cues and speechreading) to fill in more gaps and have a better understanding.

If you have mild or even moderate hearing loss and you're having trouble hearing on a phone, you'd be much better off looking at technology (amplifiers, blue tooth, FM loop, DAI etc) that would help improve your understanding that way, rather than waste your time with AVT.

Amplified phone would be the only option for her. She has CIC so doesn't have the option to use telecoil, FMs etc. she doesn't want anyone to know she is HoH.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Some CIC have an auto telecoil program that can be turned on or off...

what kind of amlifiers cellphone i can use.i am living in agra in india.from where i can get it.how will it will work for me.i understand more speech while i use headphone to listen n apart it me doing practice to listen without lipreading as per told my by audi

is there any application which can.help me??

Exactly...........and heck, if you're having issues on the phone...why not just use a cell to text?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Some CIC have an auto telecoil program that can be turned on or off...

She been told that she does not have any of the features at all but can't afford to get new aids.

deafdyke said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anij

Exactly...........and heck, if you're having issues on the phone...why not just use a cell to text?

i cant ask every person to text for me.people get irritate of texting for me

i cant ask every person to text for me.people get irritate of texting for me

Yes you can. It's your right. Stop letting people walk all over you, and just say that you have issues with the phone. Say that you find texting more reliable.

its india...the people here are not that much open n coperative.

i need it bec i consulted senior audi of banglore he suggested me that my hear loss is mild n i started using hear aids late so in those 8 years i relay on lipsreading so i need to practice to re train my brain to listen with lipreads to improve more speech understanding on cellphone.i dont understand people on cellphone which is biggest prob for me.he also said bec of it u are not using ur ha at ur best.please understand my situation dont compare it with deaf people as i m hoh.

What kind of fone do u have? I do believe hoh can do well with listen on the cellphone. I've seen some of 'em using a nokia n' iphone that's all I know for now. I did try one time with iphone without my hearing aid, u can hear like amplifier phone.

i am using samsung galaxy note....had never tried iphone

Back