Auditory processing disorder

I have an APD as well.

This is probably common for most people with hearing loss (from birth up). I can recall being categorized as having this as a child but it was attributed to my hearing loss. True for many, I suspect....

Laura

It's neurological, so unless you have some disease affecting or have some known recent brain damage, it isn't likely you will develop it as an adult.

I'm pretty sure that your auditory processing peaks at around 35. That means it can decline and start to cause you problems after that. Not that there is likely to be a dramatic change.

Auditory processing disorder information

Hello Shimo and all --
I just joined as an adult with APD who had trouble finding a succinct overview of the condition that rang true, so created one summarizing technical details and personal experiences of people in support communities as well:

"What is Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)?" at What is Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)? « auditory processing disorder

I wanted to validate your experience and say there are some workarounds and ways to acknowledge what you will need, as well as a need for the condition to be more recognized and understood so people with it are not discounted for what they struggle with and instead receive more acceptance of what they cannot overcome or control.

Please feel free to comment at the link above if you would like to dialogue more on any of those points. Best wishes,

listen2up

Back