Auditory brainstem implant

deafbajagal

Reaction score
Has anyone here had this done? I do not qualify for a cochlear implant, but it is possible I qualify for an auditory brainstem implant.

I think only a thousand or so people has had this done in the United States.

Interesting. But keep in mind that in the US, ABIs are only approved for adults (18 and over) and only for patients with NF2. Also, the effect of the implants are small, since most recipients have only an awareness of sound and won't be able to hear musical melodies, only the beat.

12 years and over. But that doesn't stop parents from traveling overseas:

The Auditory Brainstem Implant: One Child's Success Story | August 2010 | The Hearing Review | Hearing Review Products

yes, there's risks.

But some people go for it anyway after they remove tumors (they figure since they are cut open to remove the tumors, they might as well do the implant while they are at it)

Precisely. Depending on the center, there are two surgeons involved: One to handle the schwannomas, and another to place the implant.

And for most all of the people who have total silence, some sound really helps with environmental awareness, with maybe the top 10 percent getting enough speech to use the phone.

-------------

The case cited above (in the Hearing Journal) where the parents took the child to Dr Colletti in Verona Italy screwed up, as they didn't plan on the aftercare: There are maybe a dozen ABI centers in the US, and maybe a couple audies competent to program them.

Interesting. But keep in mind that in the US, ABIs are only approved for adults (18 and over) and only for patients with NF2. Also, the effect of the implants are small, since most recipients have only an awareness of sound and won't be able to hear musical melodies, only the beat.

In england it's ANY age :) But for those with NF2 only.
Mine gets switched on in about a week so i'll keep you all updated and let you know what it is like.
If you are under 18 you might be able to come to europe and get one? I have no idea how this works. In England there are 2 centres (or hospitals) that can perform the op and again, 2 surgeons.
I'm guessing America has more approved centres etc as it's about 1000 patients :)

Back