Audiologist Just Told Me I'm A Possible Candidate

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
I went to the audiologist at nine to see if I'm a candidate for CI.

I was a bit shocked as my hearing loss seems worse than I remember. If my hearing loss has gone down, it's most likely due to thyroid disease.

She said I can understand some speech with my left ear but I have NO speech comprehension at all in my right ear.

I'll know more when I get in touch with the Chapel Hill people. keep in mind I'm only a possible candidate.

I went to the audiologist at nine to see if I'm a candidate for CI.

I was a bit shocked as my hearing loss seems worse than I remember. If my hearing loss has gone down, it's most likely due to thyroid disease.

She said I can understand some speech with my left ear but I have NO speech comprehension at all in my right ear.

I'll know more when I get in touch with the Chapel Hill people. keep in mind I'm only a possible candidate.

Er...is that UNC Hospitals? If so, you are in good hands with M.C. (the audiologist...she is very good).

Awesome, I wish you all the lucks, keep us update :)

but I have NO speech comprehension at all in my right ear.
Well......they are implanting people that have "dead" ears, but use an aid in their other ear. I remember Heather Whitestone had that done. I know I've implied that I'm against functionally hoh folks being implanted, but I ALSO know the difference that in stereo hearing can bring you. I hope you pass the qualificatin tests!

... I ALSO know the difference that in stereo hearing can bring you...

Good point. I had only used one hearing aid in my right although I need two since I have severe and profound loss. I had to live in Mono sounds ! Now, I have two digital aids and have experienced the difference since 31st of this August . I love bilateral sounds! It is very nice to hear chirping birds with two ears.. The world sounds much DEEPER ! :D

She said I can understand some speech with my left ear but I have NO speech comprehension at all in my right ear. ....

I admit I cannot understand speech clearly even though I wear two digital hearing aids :(

I am not stone deaf and can hear many sounds except speech good enough . I do have lots of problems whenever I try to take conversations :( . It SUCKS at times especially when people prefer 'low' level speaking .

I am thinking of applying to get a CI next year. Yet, I dunno if I am a good canditate for CI since I can hear much of environmental sounds through my digitals.

Anyway, Good luck to you on your CI process :fingersx:

well it sounds like you are actually more of a canidate then I was and I have a CI. (love it) good luck. Was this a CI center or just your regular audi?

I could hear with my HA's. Hearing speech was a huge problem, not impossible but very stressful. I got my CI in May and speech is very clear. (my progress is evidently not normal, I understood speech from the start I 'think' the HA in my better ear at first actually may have helped that transition to the ci)

It's really amazing, I can have a phone conversation now with my oldest, before it ended up with me giving the phone to her dad because her voice and speech was very difficult from me to understand.

I now hear the sound of cars that are coming up behind me when they haven't even come over the hill yet, sure beats hearing them just before they go by. and many many other situations have actually become so much eaiser. Hearing in noise is still a problem but much improved, from 11% to about 50, To me that's hugh. :)

I was actually implanted in the ear that did not have a HA for years. When I got my HA's at about 13 they 'thought' that just one was ok, this was before they found that using 2 was the best option. The HA really never was as clear in that ear, since I didn't get the benefit from the HA that I 'should' have I do wonder if it has alot to do with that ear being unaided for years. But the CI works great in that ear. :)

In other words it's really worked great for me. I hope if you persue the CI it also works great for you. :)

oh good! i'm not the only one who cannot understand speech clearly with my digitals! i mean it's not all the time but i've noticed it becoming more frequent lately, and i don't know if it's just b/c i'm used to the sound level i have set (kind of like when u listen to music or TV at a certain decible for a long time, and u turn it up when u get used to it coz it doesn't seem as loud) or if it's coz my hearings gotten worse...or what?

I admit I cannot understand speech clearly even though I wear two digital hearing aids :(

I am not stone deaf and can hear many sounds except speech good enough . I do have lots of problems whenever I try to take conversations :( . It SUCKS at times especially when people prefer 'low' level speaking .

I am thinking of applying to get a CI next year. Yet, I dunno if I am a good canditate for CI since I can hear much of environmental sounds through my digitals.

oh good! i'm not the only one who cannot understand speech clearly with my digitals! i mean it's not all the time but i've noticed it becoming more frequent lately, and i don't know if it's just b/c i'm used to the sound level i have set (kind of like when u listen to music or TV at a certain decible for a long time, and u turn it up when u get used to it coz it doesn't seem as loud) or if it's coz my hearings gotten worse...or what?

I think our hearing is getting worse and worse :( so our residual hearing have been smaller and smaller , hence, because of highly damaged cochlea,we hear speech so distorted that prevents us understanding it.

I know I have nothing to 'cure' my loss. Perhaps, I will be 'wearing' a CI in the near future :hug:

I am not totally deaf myself. I'm damn close to it though. My loss is in the 100s. I had expected to see it in the 90s.

I can hear a lot of environmental noises with my analog HA. For example, I can hear the traffic with HA. I can hear if the door opens and closes. Athough I can hear the organ music and operatic singing, I can't hear the difference between them.

I think you should qualify. I think they'll be more concerned with your ablitiy to understand speech without lipreading.

I am not totally deaf myself. I'm damn close to it though. My loss is in the 100s. I had expected to see it in the 90s.

I can hear a lot of environmental noises with my analog HA. For example, I can hear the traffic with HA. I can hear if the door opens and closes. Athough I can hear the organ music and operatic singing, I can't hear the difference between them.

I think you should qualify. I think they'll be more concerned with your ablitiy to understand speech without lipreading.

I believe that hearing aids can reduce the hearing ability, and it does worse if went high volume than average.

When I got my HA's at about 13 they 'thought' that just one was ok, this was before they found that using 2 was the best option
How come u got your hearing aid so late? I remmy reading in back issues of Volta about the push towards bilateral aids.

How come u got your hearing aid so late? I remmy reading in back issues of Volta about the push towards bilateral aids.

I got my first hearing aid late ,as well. I was 14 at the time.

I actually grew up in the 60's at a time when they didn't really do alot of testing in schools, also the screenings in schools is usually done by moms who come in for the day to help out. My hearing loss is a reverse curve so probably wasn't that noticable and it was probably only in a high mod/mild loss. If I recall all my elementry teachers were female and since I heard higher frequecnies better the problem wouldn't have been that apparent. It's also why as I stated I only recieved one aide. At the time they didn't think not having bi lateral hearing was that big of a deal.

Times change, which is the whole point. The younger kids (infants/toddlers) getting the CI's today will probably blow your socks off like Lotte and her friends are doing. Speech comprehension and understanding relies on hearing. Lottes 'verbal IQ' (you're the first person I've ever heard using that term, IQ tests are for intellegiance, has nothing to do with delays in language ) is probably the same as those of her hearing peers.

I think the biggest fight you have is to get the so called 'professionals' to actually agree that hoh children can have secondary learning problems like CAPD, apraxia etc since everything is blamed on the hearing loss. Those diagnoises do not relie on an intelligence quoatiant, but on processing ability. Also the ability to actually hear better can do lots for children diagnosed as ADD/ADHD, there's nothing more boring then sitting in a classroom where you don't hear anything, and not hearing anything has nothing to do with a verbal intelligant quotiant.

Back