Audiologist advice needed for setting tone control on my analog hearing aid according to my audiogra

A unhappy deaf

Reaction score
Hi,

Could an audiologist please help me set my analog hearing up as I have a replacement and do not know my previous settings. I have a pic of the dials on my hearing aid, green dial says A-Gram and the red dial says UCL.

Here is a pic of it and my audiogram:
20170413_103654.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

It would be great if you can tell me what to set this at. I would be ever so grateful.

Kind regards

I'm not an audiologist but I know about analog Ha's and enough about audiology that I program my own digital HA's. I could help but i can't get the pics to load for me.

I'm not an audiologist but I know about analog Ha's and enough about audiology that I program my own digital HA's. I could help but i can't get the pics to load for me.

Hi,

Thanks for offering to help, strange that the pictures won't load for you, I have added direct links to the pics below, hopefully this shows.

I know that the A-GRAM is supposed to be set to my general audiogram shape but it looks confusing to me, one looks sloping and the other is sort of flat. Would the forth green (Full to the right like in the picture already) dot be ideal to set it to?

https://s23.postimg.org/rk9ktznmz/IMG_0016.jpg
https://s1.postimg.org/tnbjqwxlb/20170413_103654.jpg

Kind regards

Last edited:
Got it!

The Agram is supposed to be set to your general audiogram shape. Looks like the hearing aid is a 2 channel hearing aid and is meant to offer different levels of amplification of the high frequencies with the most amplification of high frequencies to the left and more mild to the right. Since your Agram is flat you want to set it with the green arrow on the right.

The red one is UCL which is UnComfortable Level and it a limiter for how much gain you can get from the HA. So it limits the loud sounds from being too loud. Probably the left side is low (lots of limiting) and the right side is high (not so much limiting)

Your audiogram does not show me any UCL measurements so my suggestion with that one is to play around with it.

Those look like old analog Phonak hearing aids, maybe Picoforte? Just a guess.

Got it!

The Agram is supposed to be set to your general audiogram shape. Looks like the hearing aid is a 2 channel hearing aid and is meant to offer different levels of amplification of the high frequencies with the most amplification of high frequencies to the left and more mild to the right. Since your Agram is flat you want to set it with the green arrow on the right.

The red one is UCL which is UnComfortable Level and it a limiter for how much gain you can get from the HA. So it limits the loud sounds from being too loud. Probably the left side is low (lots of limiting) and the right side is high (not so much limiting)

Your audiogram does not show me any UCL measurements so my suggestion with that one is to play around with it.

Those look like old analog Phonak hearing aids, maybe Picoforte? Just a guess.

Thank you for the reply, I have set the A-Gram all the way to the right and the UCL on the 2 red dot (Clockwise) I tried it on the 3rd red dot and I could feel loud sounds irritate my eardrum, so it is on 2nd dot.

I have been wearing it for two weeks now and it sounds great and I am getting used to it, my brain is balancing the sounds out and sounds that annoyed me like rustling of paper have now disappeared quietened down and sound normal. There is one issue I have and that is my voice sounds loud and I am wondering how long that will take to normalise?

There could be a number of reasons your voice sounds loud. Do your earmolds have vents? Did you try turning down the volume?

Back