Audio fingerprinting could help us deaf/HOH

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I've got a couple of apps on my iPhone that use audio to identify things. For example an app called Shazam can listen to music and tell you what song it hears playing, what artist sang it, the lyrics and all kinds of other information about the song. Another app called intonow works the same way but it identities tv shows and movies it hears. These got me to thinking that the technology might be helpful to us deaf or HOH. So I did a little research and I'm now confident that it could be helpful to us.

I found out the technology is called audio fingerprinting. Other voice recognition uses similar technology but speech is a little harder to work with because everyone speaks a little differently. But "sounds" are a little more distinctive then speech. So they are easier to "fingerprint". For instance a song sounds the same every times when it's the same recording. Two objects tapping together will sound the same every time (Two of the same objects I mean. Switching objects will obviously make a difference sound and in the technology a different database would identify it).

In the same way that dome technologies kind of analyze a finger print and can match then with fingerprints in a database. This does the same thing with sounds. It'll listen, analyze and find a matching audio fingerprint from a database.

This had my mind racing with idea for this technology that could help us. Imagine if you had this on some mobile device to let you know it hears a fire or police siren, a phone ring or a door bell. How about when your outside and it not only tells you that a bird is chirping near by. But also tells you what kind of bird it is.

How about it identifies a movie or tv show, which we already know existed in the intonow app, it'll also provide the subtitles and synchronize them for you.

Let you know which of your dogs are baking by its audio print. Or obviously tell you which friend or family member is speaking.

I could go on and on with ways this technology could be helpful. I sure hope sometime with the knowledge to make it work realizes its potential.

INTO-NOW App
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O5CmgrutH0[/ame]

Shazam App Sorry couldn't find one with CC
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlHVK_HIXpM[/ame]

Ron Jaxon

Back