Attempts to cure deafness?

I'm sorry, Bebonang. I'm glad you told me; clearly I'm more clueless than I thought I was. I want to fix whatever I've done wrong, or listen to what it is that you're trying to tell me; I thought I was listening, but obviously if I wasn't I don't know what I missed. Should I just read for a while without posting anything? Or am I still way off base?

You do seem to be asking almost every insensitive question you can think of.

Most of which you could easily research using Google.

I get extremely irritated, hence my attempts to no longer really involve with hearing people.

I understand you are writing a book and I assume you have posted this interesting topic to gather ideas for the storyline. I'll play along. When I was a teen my father had this book containing various unconventional methods for alleviating many different types of medical problems. In it the author had documented supposed first hand accounts from those knowledgeable. As you can imagine the book described methods to improve one's hearing. My father informed me that my deafness could be alleviated by simply pressing the tips of my thumb and pinky finger together and holding firmly for extended periods of time throughout the day. He explained that doing this with the left hand would improve hearing in the left ear and vice versa. I don't recall the exact duration of time reported as having an effect, but it was something along the lines of weeks or months rather than years. At the time and for reasons I won't say, I had a great disrespect for my father. So my thoughts at the time were that he was a crazy old man. Why he believed that something so ridiculous could possibly improve my hearing yet he could not wholly accept me with my deafness has had a profound and lasting effect on my life.

Good luck with your book.

Oh i didnt know hes writing the book so he makes profit for himself by taking words from us.. nice going.

fingers in ears and chants

When I was in Fiji there was a local man who others thought was "gifted". He would travel to different villages, stopping at each village maybe every2-3 months and lead a prayer or healing session. I happened to be staying in the village during his visit. Several families who didin't seem to have much money were able to come up with a gift of $30-$40 total. The man sat down next to me and several villagers sat in a circle around me. The man jabbed his fingers in my ears and shook his hands while he was "receiving" from "GOD" With all of this vibration and strong muscles he just about busted my bones. My ears hurt for 1 or 2 days. Several people present or living in the village asked me how much my hearing had improved. I divorced the woman in 1999 and my last stay in the village was early 2000.
The Methodists and AOG islanders here feel I can't hear because I "don't believe" enough. That was when I regularly attended their services because severe lonliness or having a pacific islander wife..
I was a closet atheist for 20 years. Last year I simply decided I had waited long enough and came out and told people I didn't believe in their Lord, Jehovah or whoever else they wanted to worship. Haven't heard from or been with the islanders in a while.

I had someone tell me that God made me hearing impaired because I don't listen to Him - This coming from someone that lived with men outside of marriage with her young son living with her, did drugs, had brothers that raped children - two of which did long stretches in jail for this and she actually made one of them the Godfather of her son....and I was struck deaf by God? However, I'm not going to lie - if there was a cure for deafness, I'd be first in line.

Laura

Faith-healing
Airplane rides
Scaring the child into hearing
Electricity
Warm plugs in the ears
and so on...

I don't know if it happens much anymore, except for faith-healing. That's an absurdity that never seems to go away.

I had someone tell me that God made me hearing impaired because I don't listen to Him - This coming from someone that lived with men outside of marriage with her young son living with her, did drugs, had brothers that raped children - two of which did long stretches in jail for this and she actually made one of them the Godfather of her son....and I was struck deaf by God? However, I'm not going to lie - if there was a cure for deafness, I'd be first in line.

Laura

I don't know why these people insist on being judges when their life is less than stellar anyway. Yet they often seem the most judgemental. Personally, I think it's envy or jealousy manifesting as a judgemental attitude.

Nothing is worse than listening to some alcoholic or former druggie drone on about how God saved him/her. I want to say, "You cleaned yourself up, or you didn't clean yourself up. You did it. And you've always had the power to do so. Anything else is just a crutch to help you get there if you really needed it."

When I was in Fiji there was a local man who others thought was "gifted". He would travel to different villages, stopping at each village maybe every2-3 months and lead a prayer or healing session. I happened to be staying in the village during his visit. Several families who didin't seem to have much money were able to come up with a gift of $30-$40 total. The man sat down next to me and several villagers sat in a circle around me. The man jabbed his fingers in my ears and shook his hands while he was "receiving" from "GOD" With all of this vibration and strong muscles he just about busted my bones. My ears hurt for 1 or 2 days. Several people present or living in the village asked me how much my hearing had improved. I divorced the woman in 1999 and my last stay in the village was early 2000.
The Methodists and AOG islanders here feel I can't hear because I "don't believe" enough. That was when I regularly attended their services because severe lonliness or having a pacific islander wife..
I was a closet atheist for 20 years. Last year I simply decided I had waited long enough and came out and told people I didn't believe in their Lord, Jehovah or whoever else they wanted to worship. Haven't heard from or been with the islanders in a while.

Years ago, someone gave me a healing prayer to heal my ears. I was supposed to pray it a certain number of times daily until the desired effect worked. Oh, and I was supposed to have perfect faith. Well, back then, I was a real believer, so no problem there.

But obviously, it didn't work. (Of course.)

These days, I'm agnostic, near atheist. Still kind of spiritual though, but not in a supernatural sense. More about how I feel sitting among the trees or something, or looking at the stars.

While an actual cure for cochlear issues is a long way down the road, there is research going on into regeneration of the hair cells within the cochlea, and regeneration of nerve tissue. For those who may want to gain/regain some hearing.

I like science. When something goes awry, I want to know what happened, why it happened, how we're going to fix it, and what is being done to keep it from happening again. This is a lot of why I'm drawn to hearing loss prevention.

A lot of people don't like science, or grow up disbelieving in science. Perhaps for them, God answers that need to know "why"?

While an actual cure for cochlear issues is a long way down the road, there is research going on into regeneration of the hair cells within the cochlea, and regeneration of nerve tissue. For those who may want to gain/regain some hearing.

I like science. When something goes awry, I want to know what happened, why it happened, how we're going to fix it, and what is being done to keep it from happening again. This is a lot of why I'm drawn to hearing loss prevention.

A lot of people don't like science, or grow up disbelieving in science. Perhaps for them, God answers that need to know "why"?

But still you have not come to term of accepting your deafness. Just let it go. We don't drill on thinking about hearing loss 24 hours/7 days a week. Accept it and learn to use ASL or lipread if you prefer and be involved in Deaf Culture.

That is why we don't accept new inventions every time the hearing scientists think they found the inventions to work but still they are not working for us. So quit it and deal with your deafness.

But still you have not come to term of accepting your deafness. Just let it go. We don't drill on thinking about hearing loss 24 hours/7 days a week. Accept it and learn to use ASL or lipread if you prefer and be involved in Deaf Culture.

That is why we don't accept new inventions every time the hearing scientists think they found the inventions to work but still they are not working for us. So quit it and deal with your deafness.

Why do you feel it has to be just your way? (I was about to say "your way or the highway" but was not sure this slang term would be known in the area you come from) Can't you acknowledge that some are not denying the existence of their deafness but sure would like to get rid of it if possible? And no, it doesn't mean thinking about hearing loss 24 hours/7 days a week to want to do this.

I for one, come from an area where there seems to be very little, if any, Deaf Culture. I at one time took beginning sign through the local Jr. College two different years and made NO CONTACTS either time to keep using it. Also, it has been literally years since I have seen anyone sign in public — such as seeing it in a store. Trying to Google for deaf events in this area of Southern Illinois comes up with a complete blank as well. And the way you are acting about those that handle things differently than you I an not sure I would want to be a part of it.

Hearing people have been trying to cure our disabilities like blindness, deafness, handicapped (wheelchair bound), Down Syndrome and even mental illness. Most hearing people don't understand and refused to listen to us when we tried to tell them that we are okay just being who we are. We had to fight them for our rights to be who we are, not be like them. We don't really care about getting cured at all, only some of the hard of hearing and late deafened people. I don't know but we really don't give a damn about getting cured, period. **sarcasm**

I don't believe you speak for everyone. I know many who do hope for a cure.

I don't believe you speak for everyone. I know many who do hope for a cure.

And I know many who have made peace with something that can't be cured.

False Hope. Such a dangerous cure....

Having an Implant is not a cure for DEAFness. I am still bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

Wirelessly posted

Let it be for those who want a cure, but for those of us who don't, we deserve the right to be who we are and not something we are not.

Wirelessly posted

Jane B. said:
Bebonang said:

Why do you feel it has to be just your way? (I was about to say "your way or the highway" but was not sure this slang term would be known in the area you come from) Can't you acknowledge that some are not denying the existence of their deafness but sure would like to get rid of it if possible? And no, it doesn't mean thinking about hearing loss 24 hours/7 days a week to want to do this.

I for one, come from an area where there seems to be very little, if any, Deaf Culture. I at one time took beginning sign through the local Jr. College two different years and made NO CONTACTS either time to keep using it. Also, it has been literally years since I have seen anyone sign in public — such as seeing it in a store. Trying to Google for deaf events in this area of Southern Illinois comes up with a complete blank as well. And the way you are acting about those that handle things differently than you I an not sure I would want to be a part of it.

It could be just circumstances on your part, but it could also be just plain giving up. I, also am one who is in similar circumstances and many would have given up but I am fighting tooth and nail for my right to be who I am - Deaf. (btw, I was born deaf, raised oral, in a hearing environment with no contact with Deaf, yet now I am continuously learning what is my language (sign language) and am embracing my Deafness full on, even to preferring to be Voice-off). Is it easy? No, but to give up to others who dictate to me that I need to conform to a 'hearing world' just because it conveniences the majority. Why should I? Why should we?

Last edited:
As someone who is in the lightworker community ( google lightworker ) I've been told that when the ascension takes place my hearing will be restored and to prepare for my DNA to be activated....(can you say nutcase?)

right...

Wirelessly posted

It could be just circumstances on your part, but it could also be just plain giving up. I, also am one who is in similar circumstances and many would have given up but I am fighting tooth and nail for my right to be who I am - Deaf. (btw, I was born deaf, raised oral, in a hearing environment with no contact with Deaf, yet now I am continuously learning what is my language (sign language) and am embracing my Deafness full on, even to preferring to be Voice-off). Is it easy? No, but to give up to others who dictate to me that I need to conform to a 'hearing world' just because it conveniences the majority. Why should I? Why should we?

Wow..that's inspirational!

Back