ATM talking with Blind but What about ASL for the Deaf people?

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
They have talking ATM for blind; what abt ATM in ASL ??

Comments About Fleet Bank's ASL Accessibility ??

Questions, comments, or complaints about any of these services can be made:

* In person at a Fleet Branch

* Via Fleet Telephone Banking at 1-800-841-4000

* By email (thru fleetbank website) through our Comments About
Accessibility form. For your security, if you have a question that requires you to provide account or personal information, please log on to Fleet HomeLinkSM or OfficeLinkSM, click the Online Banking tab and use the secure forms provided in the Other Services section or call 1-800-841-4000.

http://www.fleetbank.com/home.asp

Why ASL? They can see. If it's reading that you're concerned about, they shouldn't even have a banking account if they can't read!

I agree with Vampyrox. I think it is unreasonable for the Deaf to request ASL on ATM machines. They can read English, so that's accessible enough for them. If they can't read, then they had better go inside the bank building to get someone's help to handle their accounts!!

:werd: I Dont need an ASL just to get my PIN sent in get my cash and then get my card and my recipt then go do my business, I agree if u can't read, don t get a bank acct, they'll rip ur sorry ass off!

:werd: I also don't need ASL for ATM.. I can read them just fine. We can read English and that's what we need.. it's enough!

WildKaTReSS said:
:werd: I also don't need ASL for ATM.. I can read them just fine. We can read English and that's what we need.. it's enough!
:) blindness is far more different than deafness, and it would be alittle strange if they do put in ASL on ATMs, as we are deaf, but can read and write. Blind ppl can't see...so they just need voices to guide them and we need words to guide us (deaf) though lol

so, naw, I don't think ASL is very important for ATMs where there are already words you can read to guide you...

Now, for ASL on ATM's, does she mean written words in ASL structure, or animated or video person signing the instructions? I agree with deafies, it isn't needed. I rather see a TTY number for customer service and even TTY access for account access. That would be ALOT more useful.

kuifje75 said:
I agree with Vampyrox. I think it is unreasonable for the Deaf to request ASL on ATM machines. They can read English, so that's accessible enough for them. If they can't read, then they had better go inside the bank building to get someone's help to handle their accounts!!

I certainly agree with you. I got this comment via email from Massachusetts Association for the Deaf. I was perplexed why would they need ASL with ATM machine?

Most elderly Deaf people have a difficult to approach the new technology. My grandmother and Dad refused to use ATM due to fear to using a new thing.

They prefer to use old way to see the teller face to face than machine. They can't trust the machine with new words. I assume, some of the Deaf people were not sure to understand what the ATM saying to press the button deposit, withdrawal, check ur balance, etc.. Visual with picture on the ATM machine for the Deaf people to understand to read the words ??

I am not sure, why MSAD to send out the emails us. Isn't it interesting? However, the blind people have it worst. You cannot compare deafness to blindness. :arrow: We can't be spoil all the time because we are Deaf.

Last edited:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it would be absurd to "ASLify" everything from legal documents to ATMs to video game instruction manuals.

It's just not "functionally equivalent" to a blind person not being able to use an ATM like a sighted person unless they can hear the commands, or a deaf person using flashing fire alarms to be alerted to fires like a hearing person, or colorizing a gas so a person whose sense of smell doesn't work can see a leak.

I think by putting ASL videos on everything from ATMs to street signs would be too costly and it would discourage some deaf people from wanting to learn how to read.

No thanks to ASLing everything.

wow that posted was in 2003 almost 4 yrs ago. Wow, time goes by fast

I agree with others who have stated that the blind *need* this accommodation because they can't see to read an ATM screen.

Unfortunately, many deafblind people (who do not have enough hearing to use speech ouput) are still left in the dark (forgive the pun) when it comes to ATM access. However, developers are currently in the process of designing an ATM that will allow a deafblind person to connect a Braille display or Braille PDA (such as a BrailleNote or PacMate) to the ATM so that information can be read in Braille.

I'm deafblind and have bilateral CIs. I would *love* to use a talking ATM, but have yet to find one in my area. :)

WHAT! We do not need ASL on ATMs. Hey Kalista, if you can read this statement, why do you need ASL on ATMs for? This is far worst than ATMs! Why? This is three lines too many than ATM has! Oh wait, must we have alldeaf.com and other deaf websites and chat rooms have all ASL? It will be total confusion and a new training for all of us deaf, hoh, and others to do so. They already have speakers set years ago for computers for hearing people. One thing though we need for computers. It is a violation of ADA law: computers do not have captioning on youtube or any videos any providers have for news, sports, etc.. or even advertising commercials online! You all noticed it?

Then ATMs are not needed to be in ASLs. Many said the same that the blind have it worse than us. Worst than any kind of disabilities. It is low enough for wheelchairs, clear, large buttons, screens bright enough. At night, its bright enough to see buttons. It is far beyond ADA laws! You should appreicate what banks did for you, Kalista! Oh, I forgot, they have simple 1 or 2 or 3 words for each statement on buttons or on touch screen! OK?

Now, we need all the Burger Kings, McDs, Arbys, Wendys, Hardee's, Pig Stands, White Towers, White Castle, and many more of your favorite American fast food restaurant chains to have it all captioning and touch screen like banks do for ordering food!!!! Kalista, I think you were talking about your favorite fast food restaurants that does not have such accessiblity for deaf and hoh as well as speech impaired, and throat cancer victims. Think about that, kalista, please diverse your attention to fast food chains! :)

I did not write this down with my own words. I copy and paste from other Deaf website. I think, it was from Deaf Diegat or Deaf National. I can't remember, where did I get this article from.

I am surprised, this old thread brings up back. That was four years ago. :lol:

Kalista, then my apologies. Whoever did that did not make any sense. Yeah, it was a dead issue for a while. I did not realize it was until after I posted it! Hee hee. :)

A hi-tech easy to use touchscreen would be nice instead of those 1980's ATM machines that I see sometimes. :eek3:

Back