Assaulted outside of Wal-Mart by "cop"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just be glad you wasn't tackled by the guy as I had witness where a under cover tackled a guy for stealing a small alarm clock, a pair of cheap sunglasses, and a pack of gum. I also had to fill out a report about what i saw when the under cover tackled him, but since the thief ran the guy was in his rights to tackle the thief.

Unfortunately, it's not within his rights. Security guard or not, he was not protecting any real live human being from harm by tackling the thief. Had he been an intelligent man, he could have sued the store from here to sunday.

Well, who was this person that cornered you? Is he a Wal-Mart employee? I don't think you corner people even if they are thiefs. You let police handle that. You should go back to Wal-Mart to educate that person if he was an employee.

Wal-Mart's weird. I don't even know of such thing to have to look at your receipt nor do I know of a sign about it.

You don't shop at Sam's Club? if you don't have your receipt marked with a marker you don't get out.

There are afew stores around here that does it due to them being a really big store. It's their way to reduce thief.

Unfortunately, it's not within his rights. Security guard or not, he was not protecting any real live human being from harm by tackling the thief. Had he been an intelligent man, he could have sued the store from here to sunday.

I thought that too, but when the local police showed up they said he was in his right to do what he did. The thief ran and the security stopped him. If the under cover was a actual cop I didn't know, but they told me he was in his right.

Well, who was this person that cornered you? Is he a Wal-Mart employee? I don't think you corner people even if they are thiefs. You let police handle that. You should go back to Wal-Mart to educate that person if he was an employee.

Wal-Mart's weird. I don't even know of such thing to have to look at your receipt nor do I know of a sign about it.

I'm employee at wal-mart, to make sure to identify as employee then need have navy shirt.

Loss Prevention (LP) is usually wear nice navy or blue shirt, tan pant and headset, they are usually work in security room, known as video camera room.

The Walmart near RIT has someone at the door to look at your receipt. What about going to a local Vermont store to support the state instead of Walmart? :D

The greeters at our store are hardly to check receipt except for anyone who buy expensive, bulky or too many items.

There aren't many of those stores to begin with.

I've only been in two Walmarts ever, both near RIT. Haven't even seen one in this state and lived just fine for 7 months without doing so. So I don't need to worry about Walmart cops. :P Before seeing the Walmarts near RIT, I didn't go into any for 20 years.

Try a Vermont Country store or go to one of the ones listed on this page about independent Vermont stores. http://www.vaics.org/ I am proud of this state. Who needs Walmart? :D

No, he was being an aggressive, short-dicked hillbilly with a high school education.
Here at my local Wal-Mart, A lot of Wal-Mart workers have poor in education and most of them are high-school drop out.

I'm really sorry that happened to you. I don't shop at Wal-Mart simply because I have, shall we say, a moral opposition. I have plenty of other options where I am now, though. However I do remember when I lived in NH in the early 90's, WalMart was pretty much the only game in town unless you wanted to drive to Keene. And even there your choices were pretty limited after they shut down Bradlees.

Anyway, I had a situation one time where I was taking a snapshot of a piece in an art gallery. I didn't realize that photos were limited to only the permanent collection,and apparently the security guard was trying to tell me several times that I wasn't allowed to take photos. I'm HOH, and in the cavernous gallery space with the ambient noise, her little whispered "excuse me ma'am"s were completely lost on me. Never heard her. Finally she was in my face, telling me, "YOU CAN'T TAKE PICTURES IN HERE!" and I apologized, but she rolled her eyes, looked at another guard, and made this gesture that was like "God! What a MORON!"

So I simply explained to her that I was hard of hearing, and she said, "Oh. Well, I don't know that." And I said, "No, you wouldn't. Not by looking at me. But by the second time that I wasn't responding to you, you should have come up to me then instead of making a scene and causing embarrassment to me." She copped a huge attitude and never even apologized. I sent a letter to the gallery but I never got a reply. Figures.

Another time I was in a situation with law enforcement (a really, really long story that I don't feel like telling), and I explained to officers that I was hard of hearing. Then at one point one of them was going through my wallet and she made a comment about "all" my credit cards (like whatever, I had three. And one was my bank card. Ooohhh....) and I said, "what about them?" and she looked at me and said, "I thought you said you was deaf!"

God damn it, it's just so frustrating sometimes, it makes me want to stay home and never go out.

I can't wait to find out how Wal-Mart responds. But, keep in mind that they're not particularly well-known for their sensitivity, so I won't be surprised if you get nothing in the way of a sincere apology.

I consulted a lawyer via email. I think I have a right to know the outcome of the police report and I could also call up the dept I filed it with. It does not hurt to consult with a lawyer though.

Here at my local Wal-Mart, A lot of Wal-Mart workers have poor in education and most of them are high-school drop out.

not the security.... high school education is required... and citizenship too :cool2:

I consulted a lawyer via email. I think I have a right to know the outcome of the police report and I could also call up the dept I filed it with. It does not hurt to consult with a lawyer though.

hope it doesn't cost a dime. but meanwhile - keep us posted :cool2:
btw - police department = public service. public service = public information. you automatically have the rights to view the report. refusal to provide document is probably violation of Freedom of Information Acts and probably bunch other laws. Typically - it's lot easier to obtain document via lawyer. :dunno:

Really weird day yesterday.

So, I went to Mall-Wart to buy a vacuum cleaner, since they have the biggest selection around here and I needed a new one. Fairly innocent. I go and pick out the vacuum cleaner, pay for it in one of those self-checkout lanes and I proceed to go outside.

Suddenly, I'm cornered by a guy who must have been 260-300lbs. He identifies himself as a police officer and confused, I try to get out of his way. He has no uniform and does not present a badge. He grabs me and I struggle for a minute or two. Then, an actual police officer shows up to ask what is going on.

Turns out the clerk was calling for me so she could check off my receipt (something they do for purchases over $50 or something) and I didn't hear her. I explained to the guy that grabbed me that I am Deaf and what the fuck was he trying to do? I explain it to the cop as well and they let me go.

I was very hurt, violated and I immediately went to the police station to report this incident. I told the officer there that the guy that grabbed me had no way to identify himself as a police officer. The guy at the station said that it was suspicious as he only has 4 officers on duty. Hopefully they will look into this and find out what happened.

I do not trust police officers. My mind blacked out after this because I went into shock. I don't remember where the guy or the officer went or what vehicle they got into.

I will never go to Wal-Mart ever again! It is ignorant of them to grab people. The clerk could have chased me down or the guy could have calmly explained to me that the clerk wanted to see me. Instead, he just fucking grabs me. I swear, if no one was around, I would have pummeled him back. Flight or fight mechanism there.

Just wanted to share.

Well, what I'm suspicious about is that there was a real police officer there and he did nothing to the guy who claimed to be an officer. Real officers know each other. The guy who detained you was probably off-duty and overstepped his bounds, was hungry for an arrest instead of following protocol.

You probably won't be able to do anything except LEARN from this experience and protect yourself in the future. Know your rights, and never let anyone detain you for no reason.

Yes I can understand how you feel, Brad. I'm sorry it's happened to you but it could be that "undercover" security guard misunderstand you? Yes, he should show his badge straight way first when he want to stop you and then ask you...

bump. any update, brad?

Nothing as drastic as what happened to you but I had a guy find me outside of wal-mart for the same reason (To check my receipt). This guy handled it the right way though. Just got my attention. I honestly can't remember if he tapped me on the shoulder or just made sure I could see him. He definitely didn't grab me though. All I remember is he said something and I said, "Sorry, what was that? I'm deaf". He just repeated. I understood and we went back to the door and I showed him my receipt. So there was no big scene or anything.

Just thought I'd share that to say you're not the only one they had to find outside to check that because you didn't hear them. Obviously in my case the guy did it in a civil manner. A bit annoying but nothing that bad.

Sorry it wasn't the case with you.

Ron Jaxon

Mod's Note;

The thread is closed as per thread creator's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back