Aspiring interpreter

shelbymarie

Reaction score
hi im still in high school but currently have plans to get my interpreting liscense.

i really love asl but im not sure how to go about getting my liscense or even being aparted of the deaf community...

if anyone wants to help that would be great :]

o and i would love to hear opinions from some of the deaf people here on what they like and dislike when they receive interpreting services .

thankyou!!

I always like the good interpreters who can sign fluently and be able to understand my signs as well. (mostly qualified and skilled interpreters)

I've had some share of bad interpreters who did not sign as good, and often I get frustrated or did not acted professional. (Some weren't qualified or skilled interpreters) Mostly they were college students or temporary replacement.

In order for you to become an interpreter for the deaf and hard of hearing, You would need to take a certification exam by the state because most hospitals, schools, government, court, doctor offices hires certified interpreters from an agency.. ;)

o ok great thankyou so much.

im really looking forward to it i just there were more schools available in my area to learn

What part of California are you in? Do you want to stay near home for college? There are some ITPs in California, for sure.

o ok great thankyou so much.

im really looking forward to it i just there were more schools available in my area to learn

yeah me too. I've wanted to become an interpreter since I was in 6th grade, and I'm 24 now. I keep hitting brick walls when looking for the proper training...there are no schools close to my hometown, that I'm aware of anyways.

Any help would be much appreciated!! :aw:

yeah me too. I've wanted to become an interpreter since I was in 6th grade, and I'm 24 now. I keep hitting brick walls when looking for the proper training...there are no schools close to my hometown, that I'm aware of anyways.

Any help would be much appreciated!! :aw:
Have you checked out with UM about that?

And don't forget that the RID website has a database of ITPs as well.

Interpreter Training Programs

https://www.rid.org/acct-app/index.cfm?action=search.ITP

Here is a good link on the RID website for Interpreter Training Programs. Basically, you have to look up your state testing procedures. For example, in Texas they use the BEI Certification, whereas in Oklahoma they use QAST mostly. Contact the RID if you are still lost. They will definitely help you.

Back