Asperger Syndrome--let's discuss

Jillio, yeah I've wondered about that, the under-diagnosis of certain things like Aspberger - and then there's the over-diagnosis of certain things, too, especially within certain populations. I think the Asp./autism spectrum differentiations can be confusing sometimes depending on professional you're discussing with.
I also really enjoyed Dr. Grandin's movie-

Julie, I think it's interesting how the names of different things change, like when I was in Special Ed as a kid, I remember going to therapy with kids with autism, but then it was called childhood schizophrenia.
and I don't think you derailed...

Yes, a physician will usually stick to just a dx of an autism spectrum d/o, while a psychologist will get more specific about where the client lies on the spectrum. The reason for that is that we are more concerned about using strengths to empower clients and to assist them in developing coping skills. Functional limitations are noted, but strengths are far more important.

Possible historical figures with Asperger Syndrome or tendencies:

Famous People with Aspergers Syndrome

I had to LOL at this article. Speculating that Benjamin Franklin may have had Asperger's because he had a peculiar sense of humor? Or claiming that George Washington grew pot in his garden (he grew hemp) and self medicated, as many aspies do. This is just is so full of logical fallacies, I don't even know where to begin...

Sorry Reba, not to derail your thread, but this source was just really a joke.

I had to LOL at this article. Speculating that Benjamin Franklin may have had Asperger's because he had a peculiar sense of humor? Or claiming that George Washington grew pot in his garden (he grew hemp) and self medicated, as many aspies do. This is just is so full of logical fallacies, I don't even know where to begin...

It tends to comfort people on the spectrum to notice many successful and historical figures probably were a representation of us.

People with ASD get picked on a lot.

It tends to comfort people on the spectrum to notice many successful and historical figures probably were a representation of us.

People with ASD get picked on a lot.

You know just as well as I do that claiming Benjamin Franklin may have had AS because he liked to tell a silly joke now and then is just ridiculous. That falsity comforts you? C'mon, Botts. What I'm talking about here has nothing to do with bullying or a certain person on this site, of whom I think you're insinuating.

You know just as well as I do that claiming Benjamin Franklin may have had AS because he liked to tell a silly joke now and then is just ridiculous. That falsity comforts you? C'mon, Botts. What I'm talking about here has nothing to do with bullying or a certain person on this site, of whom I think you're insinuating.

An eccentric or silly sense of humor does not a dx of AS make.

I just used that as an example of the range of interest the topic carries. :)

The conversation like this reminds me of the speculation- I am not sure if many here are not familiar with one of the greatest guitarists of all time, Buckethead. He was a former member of Guns N Roses. Many Buckethead fans speculate that Buckethead is a savant or autistic or who knows? He appears erratic, creepy, and weird. He never talks, but speaks only through his rubber hand puppet. Youtube has a video of that. But the question is could it be an act? Many wants to interview him, but he is very private.

find that a lot of people that probably meet the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's are often undiagnosed. Many times, kids with Asperger's go through behavior mod programs that are designed for kids with other problems because Asperger's kids are usually extremely high functioning and intelligent. It manifests only in a few typical behavioral symptoms
Then again.......it does kind of seem that now a days if you have any social issues, you're automaticly labeled as Asperger's.
Asperger's is a legit dx....but I mean I see oral deaf kids with just social issues (and none of the other problems associated with Asperger's) being labeled as having it.
I see kids with learning issues being labeled as Asperger's when it's just the general not being exactly nereotypical manifestation of their disabilty. I do think many experts have forgotten that a lot of kids with LDs (or other disabilties) can have social issues without it being Asperger's.
I also hate how Asperger's is thought of as pretty much autism. It is.....but it's more like a learning disabilty version of autism rather then full blown autism.
Like you know how there are kids who have severe LDs but not full blown intellectucal issues? That's the way Asperger's is compared with "classic" Rainmain autism.

Well that was not a very positive way for that guy to yell at his daughter.. plainly dumb and also humiliating for that little girl to be yelled at for not being able to ride a tricycle.. I think the father really should have been patient and more encouraging and also thinking of ways to help his daughter be able to move well with the tricycle...

The girl could benefit from riding a custom-made bike that could fit her needs and more.. I'm sure it would be helpful if so...

My niece is all grown up now. I am glad I was there as my sister was not going to tell her husband to stop yelling at the child. It was so horrible to see.
The father was up set as his first born child was not born perfect! My sister and her her husband were so relief when their second daughter was ok! The older sister know her parents favor her sister !
My 92 years old mother told her granddaughter that had Asperger to remember to " hold her head up high and her chest out!" Wise words !
As my niece now has boyfriend! My niece always held her head down and was not able to made eyes contact when talking to another person .

I went to school with kids that had severe degrees of Autism. And my close friend had Asperger's, but I do not think it had that name at the time. I think I heard teachers call it Social Anxiety Disorder.
A school doctor said my son had 'autistic tendencies' but he wouldn't sit still long enough for that in depth tests, because of his ADHD. One doc wanted to put his IQ "severely below average' because he refused to do the second half of the IQ test.

:Oops: I didn't mean to derail the thread LOL

I love to watch your cat go after it tail , I wonder if that mean anything!

You know, I bet that is really an interesting and rewarding job. Until I went back to grad school I didn't realize how many accommodations there were for other disabilities. It still amazes me.

Yeah.. well I do data entry clerk work but it's always nice to go into the shop area and see the special bikes made and others.. really cool ways to do help other folks...

My niece is all grown up now. I am glad I was there as my sister was not going to tell her husband to stop yelling at the child. It was so horrible to see.
The father was up set as his first born child was not born perfect! My sister and her her husband were so relief when their second daughter was ok! The older sister know her parents favor her sister !
My 92 years old mother told her granddaughter that had Asperger to remember to " hold her head up high and her chest out!" Wise words !
As my niece now has boyfriend! My niece always held her head down and was not able to made eyes contact when talking to another person .

Ohh wonderful indeed.. your niece must make ya proud eh? Tell her to keep her chin up and impress folks more that way.. she would do good as well.. I'm sure of it...

Yeah.. well I do data entry clerk work but it's always nice to go into the shop area and see the special bikes made and others.. really cool ways to do help other folks...

Ohh wonderful indeed.. your niece must make ya proud eh? Tell her to keep her chin up and impress folks more that way.. she would do good as well.. I'm sure of it...

Yes I am proud of my niece, she is a honor student in college!

My younger brother has moderate autism, borderline asp. He has the social anxieties, along with the learning disability. He is only 14, but in all honesty, everything I do, my working as hard as I do, my going back to school after 10 years, and such, I do for him, and our other younger brother. (2 younger bros, 14 and 13). I remember when we first got the dx for the autism. Dad was nuts, as in angry. At me, at the boys at mom, everyone. It wasn't until a few years ago that he was able to mellow out. But now with puberty, and the chemical and biological changes that occur there, and his autism.... Eh, some days are good teenager days, and some days are really bad teenager days.

My younger brother has moderate autism, borderline asp. He has the social anxieties, along with the learning disability. He is only 14, but in all honesty, everything I do, my working as hard as I do, my going back to school after 10 years, and such, I do for him, and our other younger brother. (2 younger bros, 14 and 13). I remember when we first got the dx for the autism. Dad was nuts, as in angry. At me, at the boys at mom, everyone. It wasn't until a few years ago that he was able to mellow out. But now with puberty, and the chemical and biological changes that occur there, and his autism.... Eh, some days are good teenager days, and some days are really bad teenager days.

It is horrible when a parent get angry when they find out their child has
autism or any other learning disability.t made so much worst for the child.
My niece really feel bad knowing her parents where so upset about her having asperger.

Its only a matter of time:

Smyrna site of autism study *| ajc.com

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aspergers-syndrome/DS00551/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Medication
There are no medications that specifically treat Asperger's syndrome. But some medications may improve specific symptoms — such as anxiety, depression or hyperactivity — that can occur in many children with Asperger's syndrome. Examples include:

Aripiprazole (Abilify). This drug may be effective for treating irritability related to Asperger's syndrome. Side effects may include weight gain and an increase in blood sugar levels.
Guanfacine (Intuniv). This medication may be helpful for the problems of hyperactivity and inattention in children with Asperger's syndrome. Side effects may include drowsiness, irritability, headache, constipation and bedwetting.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Drugs such as fluvoxamine (Luvox) may be used to treat depression or to help control repetitive behaviors. Possible side effects include restlessness and agitation.
Risperidone (Risperdal). This medication may be prescribed for agitation and irritability. It may cause trouble sleeping, a runny nose and an increased appetite. This drug has also been associated with an increase in cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
Olanzapine (Zyprexa). Olanzapine is sometimes prescribed to reduce repetitive behaviors. Possible side effects include increased appetite, drowsiness, weight gain, and increased blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
Naltrexone (Revia). This medication, which is sometimes used to help alcoholics stop drinking, may help reduce some of the repetitive behaviors associated with Asperger's syndrome. However, the use of low-dose naltrexone — in doses as low as two to four mg a day — has been gaining favor recently. But, there's no good evidence that such low doses have any effect on Asperger's syndrome.
Alternative medicine Tests and diagnosis
References
Asperger's disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://psychiatryonline.com/content.aspx?aID=7667&searchStr=asperger's+disorder. Accessed Sept. 10, 2010.
Toth K, et al. Asperger's syndrome: Diagnosis and treatment. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2008;165:958.
Autism spectrum disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec19/ch299/ch299c.html#S19_CH299_T002. Accessed Sept. 11, 2010.
Asperger syndrome fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/detail_asperger.htm?css=print. Accessed Sept 11, 2010.
Notordaeme M, et al. Asperger's syndrome and high-functioning autism: Language, motor and cognitive profiles. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2010;19:475.
Asperger syndrome. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/asperger_syndrome.cfm. Accessed Sept. 11, 2010.
Weber K. Asperger's syndrome: From hiding to thriving. The Nurse Practitioner. 2008;19:14.
Levy SE, et al. Complementary and alternative medicine treatments for children with autism spectrum disorders. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinics of North America. 2008;17:803.
Price CS, et al. Prenatal and infant exposure to thimerosal from vaccines and immunoglobulins and risk of autism. Pediatrics. 2010;126:656.
Atkinson DL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 25, 2010.
Stigler KA, et al. Aripiprazole in pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified and Asperger's disorder: A 14-week, perspective, open-label study. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. 2009;19:265.
Posey DJ, et al. Guanfacine treatment of hyperactivity and inattention in pervasive developmental disorders: A retrospective analysis of 80 cases. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. 2004;14:233.
Moreno C, et al. Metabolic effects of second-generation antipsychotics in bipolar youth: Comparison with other psychotic and nonpsychotic diagnoses. Bipolar Disorders. 2010;12:172.
Malone RP, et al. Advances in drug treatments for children and adolescents with autism and other pervasive developmental disorders. CNS Drugs. 2005;19:923.
Elchaar GM, et al. Efficacy and safety of naltrexone use in pediatric patients with autistic disorder. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2006;40:1086.
Questions and answers on unapproved chelation products. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesF...ineSafely/MedicationHealthFraud/ucm229313.htm. Accessed Oct. 26, 2010.
Guastella AJ, et al. Intranasal oxytocin improves emotion recognition for youth with autism spectrum disorders. Biological Psychiatry. 2010;67:692.
Hollander E, et al. Oxytocin increases retention of social cognition in autism. Biological Psychiatry. 2007;61:498.

DS00551
Nov. 18, 2010

© 1998-2010 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "EmbodyHealth," "Enhance your life," and the triple-shield Mayo Clinic logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.

its like they have a little magic pill for everything.

Its only a matter of time:

Smyrna site of autism study *| ajc.com

Asperger's syndrome: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com

its like they have a little magic pill for everything.

No it isn't. The article clearly states that this is not a pill for autism. These meds are used to treat co-borbid symptoms so that the individual can be more functional.

I suppose you believe we should just let them have constant melt downs and remain non-functional and at times, even a danger to themselves rather than treat things like anxiety that are not controlled with behavior mod.

No it isn't. The article clearly states that this is not a pill for autism. These meds are used to treat co-borbid symptoms so that the individual can be more functional.

I suppose you believe we should just let them have constant melt downs and remain non-functional and at times, even a danger to themselves rather than treat things like anxiety that are not controlled with behavior mod.

maybe they shouldn't live near highways?

Study: Living Near a Highway May Contribute to Autism Risk – TIME Healthland

Are you seriously debating that drug companies are NOT going to find a way to profit off of this?

Seriously?

Well that was not a very positive way for that guy to yell at his daughter.. plainly dumb and also humiliating for that little girl to be yelled at for not being able to ride a tricycle.. I think the father really should have been patient and more encouraging and also thinking of ways to help his daughter be able to move well with the tricycle...

The girl could benefit from riding a custom-made bike that could fit her needs and more.. I'm sure it would be helpful if so...

:hug: You just said it so compassionately, I'd think you were a parent already.

Do you think you can share more about your job? Like jillio said, accomodations for other disabilities have really grown.

Back