Asl

helpless mom

Reaction score
What should we do when child is not intrested in ASL.We are learning ASL but my son ignores them

What is his age, and for how long have you been using ASL?

Keep exposing and immersing him with the language. Are you using ASL only with him or with the whole family? Also, many deaf kids may appear not to be paying attention, but they are. Language cannot be forced, but acquired incidentally.

Keep exposing and immersing him with the language. Are you using ASL only with him or with the whole family? Also, many deaf kids may appear not to be paying attention, but they are. Language cannot be forced, but acquired incidentally.

What she said...

He's probably absorbing more than you realize. When I learned ASL, I went through a phase in which I would just sit and watch people sign. Just keep showing him signs, especially signs for anything that he loves (bath, dog, blanket, etc.) It's easier for new learners to sign to other people than to comprehend what other people sign. He may just watch you for a while. Don't give up!

Neither one of my kids was interested, but I still try to do what I can. Son is more receptive than daughter and he fights it harder. Now, daughter is using more than son. She now thinks that since she plans on staying home with us as long as we live, she needs to learn ASL for me and now she is willing.

What should we do when child is not intrested in ASL.We are learning ASL but my son ignores them

He probably doesn't associate your signs with anything. Sign the things you give or show him...

Such as names of foods as you give them to him, bear, truck , etc. for toys.

Make sure he connects what the signs mean and he will have interest then.

Kristina, if you sign, they will have to learn. The kids will want you to feed them and take care of them. lol

probably teach courage to him! I think so might to sometimes hard to situation!

my sister tough understand also I am pretty sure hard to communicationt!
I think so your son hearing Not sure! I guess!

I didn't learn ASL growing up but in a similar vein, my mother would sometimes wave her hand in front of my face if it appeared i was blanking out and not listening. It wasn't that, it was because I was processing what was being said in my head and the meaning of it. Give your boy a chance to make the connection between your signs and the objects they reference and it will start clicking together for him.

Our son is apparently not interested, too. But recently we realized what's the "problem" (with speech too): he wants to TALK, not only to repeat single words/signs. He's able to, but that's not what WE do, we make sentences... In LS too (even if we're not good at it by now). Especially me... I talk a lot and sign a lot, so he naturally wants to do the whole thing and is not contented with being able to say "ma" or sign "mum". In fact, when we greet him for doing such things, he closes up even more and refuse to try again. It took a lot of time for us to realize, it's almost one year that we started signing and a year and a half of HAs! We found out looking at him while he was watching some videos (which he LOVES) from this guy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQgY-eFyf8s&NR=1]YouTube - ‪La Canzone dei Puffi - Cristina D'Avena - Canta con noi con i segni‬‏[/ame]

He watch this and then stands up and try to make ALL signs all together, while moving his mouth like singing! He wants to start from the end... Sentences. There are also hearing kids that do that, so I guess it's ok... He'll just need to grow up a little to understand how things work. But in the meanwhile, I know he's understanding more than it seems. And he likes singing, since it can be done even without words... He's able (if he wants!) to repeat my vocalizations, and in tune, too! Same with signing.

You could try to do "hidden signs", making some game or dance and putting a simple sign at the end, and see if this way he tries to do it... For en example, throwing a puppet or ball in the air and then signing "up!" or "jump!", doing this like a simple game, with no "communication expectations" in it. You need to be veeeeeery open-minded with nowadays kids, deaf or not :D

Anyway, it would help if you told us what age you son is and for how long you've been signing, and how much do you sign in your daily life, etc. Those things make a HUGE difference, I guess.

He watch this and then stands up and try to make ALL signs all together, while moving his mouth like singing! He wants to start from the end... Sentences. There are also hearing kids that do that, so I guess it's ok... kids, deaf or not....
Yes, hearing kids do that, too. My grandson, who is hearing, seemed to take forever to start talking. Then, one day, he started speaking sentences. He skipped over the using individual words stage, and just started speaking in sentences. It's almost like he didn't start speaking until he had something to say. :)

Yes, I've seen a lot of those between my friends' kids! There are the ones who start saying "babababa" and then point to things and say names, like "mum" "cat" and so on... Then there are some of them who just dtart babbling with the right intonation, like "babababhdgsfhklshflbubu?" and slowly that babbling becomes a whole sentence...
Then there are some who just don't utter a word until they are sure they say it RIGHT. :roll: Guess my son is one of them. :roll:

I think there is no reason why it should work differently with sign language, since I've always read it develops the same way speech does for hearing kids.
The only real difference is that hearing parents often freaks out in the meanwhile! :lol:

Back