Asl vs signed english

jencat

Reaction score
What is the difference between ASL and signed English? I've been trying to teach myself ASL, but it seems I'm failing miserably and learning the wrong material anyway. One of my sources is the ASL website, but it's not helping much. Another one I use is Sign Saavy. No idea what they're teaching me.

Make Deaf friends and call it a day you not going learn sitting at home ..

It's a start but Vorsia is right... try to find local Deaf events if you can and attend even if it's for 30 minutes. :) You could try to find a Skype buddy but I have no idea how well that works out.

ASL use short and simple phrases.

SEE use complete sentence.

Which are in very different word order than standard US English and are difficult to say the least if you come from a background of English only well into adulthood. I get the impression that PSE could fit those of us that are senior adults that grew up with just oral and written English and used that well into adulthood.

Which are in very different word order than standard US English and are difficult to say the least if you come from a background of English only well into adulthood. I get the impression that PSE could fit those of us that are senior adults that grew up with just oral and written English and used that well into adulthood.

I don't follow. :dunno:

ASL is a complete and autonomous visual language. Its grammar and syntax are logical for a visual language.

Signed English is a transliterated version or mode of another existing language, which is English.

Pidgin (note spelling) signing is a linguistic bridge for non-native users of sign languages. It's a blend of two different languages (in this case, ASL and English). It borrows from both languages.

Thank you for the replies. I work odd hours so I don't have much time for personal interaction. I agree with finding a mentor though. That's why I'm here. I'm hoping to Skype with someone as I have time.

None of my posts are written in ASL - it is all written in English.

Like Reba said above, ASL is visual language, that's not same as written in English.

If you don't understand about what I'm saying, it is probably reading comprehension and I found some of your posts are confusing. It has nothing with my ASL.

None of my posts are written in ASL - it is all written in English.

Like Reba said above, ASL is visual language, that's not same as written in English.

If you don't understand about what I'm saying, it is probably reading comprehension and I found some of your posts are confusing. It has nothing with my ASL.

I didn't say anything about your posts not being in standard English!

I have known for years that ASL is different. I am not disputing that. I was talking about a senior citizen, especially, making the transition when standard USA English is all the person has known. It is natural to think in English and with the common words ASL feels out of order; you could even say the order feels backwards (what is normally said first for us then comes at the end in ASL).

I have known for years that ASL is different. I am not disputing that. I was talking about a senior citizen, especially, making the transition when standard USA English is all the person has known. It is natural to think in English and with the common words ASL feels out of order; you could even say the order feels backwards (what is normally said first for us then comes at the end in ASL).

While that may be true... it does still depend on the person. Some people who came late to ASL sign very very well and are better than some. Others still have trouble. One guy I knew came to Gally in his 30s and had some trouble so signed mostly in PSE. He later dated..and married a woman who grew up deaf and attended deaf schools...I haven't seen either in many many years so don't know how his signing is with her anymore.

. . .
Learning any new language is harder the older we get. When learning ASL, it must be looked at the same way as any language that is foreign to older person. If an older English speaking person tries to learn Mandarin, Polish or Swahili, it's the same thing as learning ASL. One has to learn the language as a stand-alone language and not try to compare or use it with English.

ASL isn't the only language that uses a word order that is different from English. Many spoken languages do the same thing.

Learning any new language is harder the older we get. When learning ASL, it must be looked at the same way as any language that is foreign to older person. If an older English speaking person tries to learn Mandarin, Polish or Swahili, it's the same thing as learning ASL. One has to learn the language as a stand-alone language and not try to compare or use it with English.

ASL isn't the only language that uses a word order that is different from English. Many spoken languages do the same thing.

That's make sense and no wonder about my parents have hard time to learn ASL - one is 56 and other is 62.

As I try to learn more about ASL, I find it is easier to understand another person than it is to express myself.

Why you asked like that for years? Do you see Reba's post? It is difficult to learn different languages if you are old.

I grew up in education with sign language with ASL, then SEE, then return to ASL. I learned very well in ASL education since oral education has no benefit for me. I thanked to deaf teachers for helped me a lot after very behind at old mainstream school.

Do you think that I'm in wrong school? wrong CI? bad parents? bad environment?

The ageism is your problem, not ASL so it is easy to go forward and backward between English and ASL.

There is update, I just asked a feedback to my friends on FB about what kind of my sign language.

All of them told me that I mostly use PSE that mixed with some ASL.

There aren't much difference between ASL and PSE for sign styles, but word order is slightly difference and it is pretty interchangeable.

Jane, if you know about PSE so you shouldn't have an issue to watch my vlog, all are available on FB.

Back