ASL vs. PSE/SEE

I believe that PSE is SEE without some words like to, is, am, were, ing, etc but it's in the right order.
PSE is mostly using ASL signs but using them in English word order. PSE usually drops articles (a, an, the) but retains verbs (is, are, was, were), and often initializes them. PSE also tends to initialize more in general. PSE is more likely to use English signs for pronouns rather than the indexing that ASL uses. Of course, since it is a continuum, there is no "rule" as to how much English is incorporated. PSE is a linguistic buffet.

It also depends on if the signer is deaf and going from ASL to PSE, or if the signer is hearing and going from English to PSE.

PSE is mostly using ASL signs but using them in English word order. PSE usually drops articles (a, an, the) but retains verbs (is, are, was, were), and often initializes them. PSE also tends to initialize more in general. PSE is more likely to use English signs for pronouns rather than the indexing that ASL uses. Of course, since it is a continuum, there is no "rule" as to how much English is incorporated. PSE is a linguistic buffet.

It also depends on if the signer is deaf and going from ASL to PSE, or if the signer is hearing and going from English to PSE.
https://signsoflifeasl.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/3-forms-of-sign-language-asl-vs-pse-vs-see/

I work with low functioning deaf clients that understand ASL signed by deaf staff better than PSE/SEE signed by hearing staff who cant get the hang of ASL. It goes both ways IMO.

its only based on my experience...i ve found the more adaptable the mind is theyre able to adjust and understand quickly picking it up getting more language in. Some people just cant get it. Its just how specific nonflexible mind processes the language.

I work with low functioning deaf clients that understand ASL signed by deaf staff better than PSE/SEE signed by hearing staff who cant get the hang of ASL. It goes both ways IMO.

its only based on my experience...i ve found the more adaptable the mind is theyre able to adjust and understand quickly picking it up getting more language in. Some people just cant get it. Its just how specific nonflexible mind processes the language.
Right, I grew up in a school for the Deaf. I saw everything so I know what I am talking about. I would say that 25% of the students were able to understand SEE/PSE.

The point of this thread is that do Deaf people understand PSE song signed by soph1951? My estimate is that less than 30% of Deafies nationwide do. I don't count HOH, late-deafen people and others.

"Some people just can't get it" ...come on, they can't help it. Honestly, I tried to teach my deaf friends but they said it was too hard just like I tried to teach them some math. You call them low functioning which is a fact but it's not a nice word to call them. They are what they are. Nothing more or less. Some of them can fix cars. Some of them can learn how to do their jobs. Some of them can fix your house and so on. One person at DVTV pointed out that if a deaf person can do anything better than his/her grammar, then that person is not low functioning.

Edited: "Some people", if you mean other people who don't understand why ASLers can't comprehend PSE/SEE, my apology.

Last edited:

Yeah you said it much pretty right. I'm between PSE AND ASL user but I'm not a pure ASL user.

I'm a PSE signer. It's more of English- oriented signing but without "to", "the", and the like. I could never get into signing ASL. I grew up with SEE in elementary and jr high, then slowly changed into PSE. Around signing students, I have a tendency to be more SEE than PSE as well as using my voice and making sure I can pronounce words.

I know I'm an oddball. Lol

Right, I grew up in a school for the Deaf. I saw everything so I know what I am talking about. I would say that 25% of the students were able to understand SEE/PSE.

The point of this thread is that do Deaf people understand PSE song signed by soph1951? My estimate is that less than 30% of Deafies nationwide do. I don't count HOH, late-deafen people and others.

"Some people just can't get it" ...come on, they can't help it. Honestly, I tried to teach my deaf friends but they said it was too hard just like I tried to teach them some math. You call them low functioning which is a fact but it's not a nice word to call them. They are what they are. Nothing more or less. Some of them can fix cars. Some of them can learn how to do their jobs. Some of them can fix your house and so on. One person at DVTV pointed out that if a deaf person can do anything better than his/her grammar, then that person is not low functioning.

Edited: "Some people", if you mean other people who don't understand why ASLers can't comprehend PSE/SEE, my apology.

Low functioning term is widely used in my job feild. It is not used to describe a person with deafness. The developmentally delayed with mental illness and behavioral issues is the population I work with. diagnosed population is so complex to quickly explain not going to get into it. I was only referring to my population in my job field. it is acceptable. IQ with many other factors vary between each client. Just to give an idea how complicated it is.

it is not acceptable to use the term to define a person with deafness. That is not cool at all. I agree.

I think your estimate is too low think its way more than 30% PSE From my experience st RIT.... there was a good handful of ASL users but only 2 I recall in my circle of friends that was pure.
There was at least 98% fully PSE fluent signers for my friends. Schools nowadays are making sure deaf kids have Total Communication in classroom. More and more Deaf are getting better education and headstart.

I cannot adapt to another foreign language. I understand and can adapt english and sign lanuage but for the life of me I cant learn spanish. Ive tried and its so confusing. Its same witg everyone else no matter how smart one can be. Blah.

. . .
I think your estimate is too low think its way more than 30% PSE From my experience st RIT.... there was a good handful of ASL users but only 2 I recall in my circle of friends that was pure.
There was at least 98% fully PSE fluent signers for my friends....
In my experiences, I've noticed that not everyone defines ASL consistently. As an interpreter, there were times I showed up at an assignment for consumers who specifically requested ASL interpreting. Then, as signing commenced, they requested more "English" signing. My ASL was "too" ASL. What they considered ASL signing was in reality PSE.

There could be several reasons for this misunderstanding. Sometimes signers have been misled as to what is ASL. Sometimes the signer hasn't been exposed to real life ASL, so has nothing to use as a yardstick of measurement. Sometimes, as a matter of Deaf pride, a signer insists that it's ASL, even if linguistically it is not.

When I used to substitute interpret in the public schools, it was during a period when supposedly they were using ASL in the classrooms. That's what it said on paper. In reality, in the classrooms, it was still very English PSE.

The interpreters I have for my doctor appointments, all have expressed surprise when meeting me. The assignment said that I'm "very strongly ASL", but upon meeting me they always said, "Uh. you're signing close to SEE/PSE... why did this paper say you're ASL".

:rofl:

It does not matter if you sign pure ASL or CASE. What matters is that you can communicate with the deaf person. If they can understand your signing, then it's all good. Most deaf people can understand a mix of sign languages.

Back