ASL Video Clip about the Internet video clips Without Subtitles

Could you be more specific about which videos you want subtitled? I think it would be pointless to expect every video on the internet to be subtitled.

VamPyroX said:
Could you be more specific about which videos you want subtitled? I think it would be pointless to expect every video on the internet to be subtitled.

I did not make that video clip but it was a very good ASL presentation. I think it would be nice to see as many subtitles on the news internet station also on movie trailers as well as different video clips, basically it would be nice if we had the subtitles be 100% on all of the video clips on the internet. That would take some time but it would really be a big help !!!!! I am going to e-mail this to as many different companies as I can ..... Start with about 3 companies per day and go from there. :) :thumb:

I Agree with Heath and Jared about this...

Very Sad very frustrating for me to
open many many video clips I was NOT
able to follow anything

This means the lack of equal communications access
for everyone.

Sigh.

:cheers:
WOW! That's awesome!!! Thank you, Heath for showing us about the video in ASL with subtitles or not!! I love those videos if have ASL or other countries who have been different unseen sign languages. It's wonderful to have them without borrowing from CMP. It's best topic ever that you helped me when I staying home during summer vacation and watch a video in ASL, and it would be wonderful and that will be never
forget about professional sign language videos for me!! :ty: :ily:

If subtitles are a good idea for English videos, why not for ASL videos as well?

I really liked this video. I think it is great that he presented it in ASL instead of as a written letter - now companies will be able to see the face of a deaf person who wants subtitled videos, which makes it much more personal. It's great that this is subtitled, to make it accessible for HEARING people. (I make videos in ASL sometimes, and I tried subtitling it once, and it wasn't easy!)

Etoile said:
I really liked this video. I think it is great that he presented it in ASL instead of as a written letter - now companies will be able to see the face of a deaf person who wants subtitled videos, which makes it much more personal. It's great that this is subtitled, to make it accessible for HEARING people. (I make videos in ASL sometimes, and I tried subtitling it once, and it wasn't easy!)

Which software do you and/or anyone else use
for creating subtitles ?

VamPyroX said:

Obviously, you did not watch the video.

Yep, this is a point well taken. I think it's very fair of him to focus on the big media companies who should really know better, especially technology-related ones like CNET or Microsoft. Not only would captioning their clips make the information more accessible to the deaf, it's also helpful for hearing people for whom English is not their first language. Many more people, not just deaf, would probably be aided by adding captions to these clips.

Unfortunately it's easy enough to predict the arguments against this: not enough time, not enough space on a little clip for captions, hearing English-speakers don't want to see captions.

I hope this guy has sent his video to at least some of the people he's trying to reach, because Google Video just isn't going to be enough.

The "hearing people don't like captions" argument bugs me no end. I won't get into it completely here, but my main reaction is: TOO BAD, DEAL WITH IT!

I was the one who created the video clip

Hi,

This is Jared, the same person who created the video that you all are talking about! I found this discussion via my blog's log file. I'm glad that my video clip sparked a small discussion over here.

Yes, I've sent this entry out to a few people and companies. I've already sent a comment to CNN's tech support.

I would like to also mention that there is almost no technical or time barrier involved in creating the subtitled video clips. They are already closed-capitioning these same clips on TV. It would be a child's play for their video wizards to extract the CC text and converting it automatically into a subtitled digitalized video clip for the internet.

The full URL to my blog entry abou this:
http://jarednevans.typepad.com/blog/2006/05/my_first_video_.html

Jared

Interpretrator said:
Yep, this is a point well taken. I think it's very fair of him to focus on the big media companies who should really know better, especially technology-related ones like CNET or Microsoft. Not only would captioning their clips make the information more accessible to the deaf, it's also helpful for hearing people for whom English is not their first language. Many more people, not just deaf, would probably be aided by adding captions to these clips.

Unfortunately it's easy enough to predict the arguments against this: not enough time, not enough space on a little clip for captions, hearing English-speakers don't want to see captions.

I hope this guy has sent his video to at least some of the people he's trying to reach, because Google Video just isn't going to be enough.

jarednevans said:
Yes, I've sent this entry out to a few people and companies. I've already sent a comment to CNN's tech support.

Hi Jared...excellent! I hope you'll post here any response you get (or don't get, for that matter).

jarednevans said:
I would like to also mention that there is almost no technical or time barrier involved in creating the subtitled video clips.

Maybe you should make another video explaining this since I'd be willing to bet that whether or not it's true, it will be CLAIMED as an excuse for not having captions on these clips.

Great job, hope to see some positive results from this.

Well....

While this would be a neat thing to do, I am caught between the two worlds.. The Deaf one and the Hearing one.. Funny thing is, I'm deaf and have pretty much good knowledge of how the hearing world functions...

I grew up with SEE, Signed Exact English (PSE too!) and I was taught that English was the language to function in the world.. But Sign Language was how deaf people communicated.. I had no problem understanding that until I was introduced to ASL.. It made myself confused with how the sentence structure I was taught was taken out of order! Which is why I am somewhat... hesistant of using ASL.

I nowadays think of ASL as the "lazy" version of Signed Exact English (sign language, whatever) and I am guilty for secretly looking down at deaf people who are intelligent yet use ASL! To function very well in the hearing world, deaf people should have an knowledge of how to speak in english.. (Sounds like those who protest the illegal immigrants, huh?)

Jared, in the video, uses ASL, yet he has good english writing skills makes me uncomfortable that deaf people limit themselves to not using english.. He mentions movie trailers which brings me to that subject.. I grew up like some of you without captioning decoders until they came out in 1984 or so.. That was a cool progress in technology and I accepted it for a long time until I realized that captioning in the movie theaters would be a distraction because it wasn't what I experienced growing up..

I prefer viewing movie trailers without captioning or subtitles and the movies still seem cool when you don't know what's going on.. (Yes, eventually you'll see the captions or subtitles on video/DVD) which made me think that there are a few movies that I am willing to watch without any captions or subtitles for the "hearing" experience..

While odd, this is how I am comfortable yet might be stuck in a catch 22 situation.. Good for the deaf community to have the privilege to have CC or subtitles yet I wouldn't really want them unless absolutely necessary.. Perhaps for the news or an emergency broadcast, they would be MANDATED to include any language necessary yet for the entertainment formats, it's a "depends" situation..

Perhaps what needs to be done is for people to voice their opinions over this topic in a careful fashion since the hearing world does outnumber the deaf world.. And sometimes they say "there is strength in numbers."

-the end.

Obiwan100 said:
I nowadays think of ASL as the "lazy" version of Signed Exact English (sign language, whatever) and I am guilty for secretly looking down at deaf people who are intelligent yet use ASL! To function very well in the hearing world, deaf people should have an knowledge of how to speak in english.. (Sounds like those who protest the illegal immigrants, huh?)

I was about to do the usual "leap to ASL's defense" here but realize from what you say that you sound pretty conflicted about your own feelings. So I doubt there's anything I can say that you don't already know, except that you seem to believe that the two languages (ASL and English) are mutually exclusive, and they certainly aren't.

Obiwan100 said:
Good for the deaf community to have the privilege to have CC or subtitles

Does it help to consider that not only native English-speakers use the Internet, and captions can help people who would like to see videos but don't use English as their first language? Or students who are learning English? CC/subtitles benefit more than just deaf people, so you don't have to feel conflicted about their existence.

(For some reason this message has come out seeming sort of sarcastic, and it wasn't intended that way.)

The simple solution is to make an option in all of the media players for captions. Those who need it can turn it on, and those who don't j ust leave it off. Some alread y have the option.

jarednevans said:
Hi,

This is Jared, the same person who created the video that you all are talking about! I found this discussion via my blog's log file. I'm glad that my video clip sparked a small discussion over here.

I would like to also mention that there is almost no technical or time barrier involved in creating the subtitled video clips. They are already closed-capitioning these same clips on TV. It would be a child's play for their video wizards to extract the CC text and converting it automatically into a subtitled digitalized video clip for the internet.

The full URL to my blog entry abou this:
http://jarednevans.typepad.com/blog/2006/05/my_first_video_.html

Jared

Hi Jared, :welcome: to AllDeaf and I am very, very surprised to get a response from the creator who made that v-ASL presentation. I am glad you are doing something about it because I am always doing something about it wheter it is political activism or signing petitions or something like that so I am really glad you got a chance to respond here and please enjoy your stay here in AllDeaf and God Bless You !!!!! :angel: and also Cheers to somebody who is a doer !!!!! :cheers:

Interpretrator said:
I was about to do the usual "leap to ASL's defense" here but realize from what you say that you sound pretty conflicted about your own feelings. So I doubt there's anything I can say that you don't already know, except that you seem to believe that the two languages (ASL and English) are mutually exclusive, and they certainly aren't.

Actually, I think I'm just more of wondering why deaf people aren't inclined to use English more than ASL since ASL confuses the hearing world when used in the "so called" written form (I know ASL does not have a written form) This has been a debate that causes deaf people to not get (sort of) hired at any kind of job if their English isn't understandable. Perhaps this is why I have conflicted feelings.

Does it help to consider that not only native English-speakers use the Internet, and captions can help people who would like to see videos but don't use English as their first language? Or students who are learning English? CC/subtitles benefit more than just deaf people, so you don't have to feel conflicted about their existence.

You're right. I wasn't thinking of foreigners who come here for a new life and want to learn English..

(For some reason this message has come out seeming sort of sarcastic, and it wasn't intended that way.)

Nah it didn't sound that sarcastic to me.

Back