ASL - Useful to Autism/Asperger's?

MoniDew

Reaction score
I know ASL has gone mainstream to a certain extent, now that hearing families have discovered teaching sign to infants demonstrates the capacity for language at much younger ages than previously thought.

Keeping that in mind, what about the usefulness of ASl in assisting people with other conditions?

For myself - I have celiac disease. This means that various grains and their products, all dairy products, and all soy products form toxic compounds in my body that destroy my tissues. These toxins cross the blood/brain barrier and poison my brain. When this happens, I find it difficult to access my speech center (I am a speaking person) which is located in the left hemisphere of the brain. I am virtually locked into right brain and take on characteristics that are identified as Asperger's or mild autism. (Much notoriety in the media has been given lately advocating the use of celiac diet to treat autism spectrum diseases. The connection has been established.)

Because I am locked into right brain - I am able to use gestural language (ASL) just fine! I am able to communicate 3-dimensionally and pictorially. I wondered if it should become recommended to mothers of Autism spectrum children to learn ASL and teach it to their children? These children have such difficulty connecting with others, socializing, forming bonds, etc. I think ALL of that could be overcome through the use of ASL. ASL taps into the correct part of their brains!

I realize that we already face an uphill battle getting our society, our medical establishment, our educational system etc. to accept ASL as a "full" language, equal to spoken language. Perhaps perceiving it as useful for "treating" (BAD WORD USAGE, I know! Sorry about that!) useful for other conditions, would help broaden its acceptance.

What do you all think?

I know ASL has gone mainstream to a certain extent, now that hearing families have discovered teaching sign to infants demonstrates the capacity for language at much younger ages than previously thought.

Keeping that in mind, what about the usefulness of ASl in assisting people with other conditions?

For myself - I have celiac disease. This means that various grains and their products, all dairy products, and all soy products form toxic compounds in my body that destroy my tissues. These toxins cross the blood/brain barrier and poison my brain. When this happens, I find it difficult to access my speech center (I am a speaking person) which is located in the left hemisphere of the brain. I am virtually locked into right brain and take on characteristics that are identified as Asperger's or mild autism. (Much notoriety in the media has been given lately advocating the use of celiac diet to treat autism spectrum diseases. The connection has been established.)

Because I am locked into right brain - I am able to use gestural language (ASL) just fine! I am able to communicate 3-dimensionally and pictorially. I wondered if it should become recommended to mothers of Autism spectrum children to learn ASL and teach it to their children? These children have such difficulty connecting with others, socializing, forming bonds, etc. I think ALL of that could be overcome through the use of ASL. ASL taps into the correct part of their brains!

I realize that we already face an uphill battle getting our society, our medical establishment, our educational system etc. to accept ASL as a "full" language, equal to spoken language. Perhaps perceiving it as useful for "treating" (BAD WORD USAGE, I know! Sorry about that!) useful for other conditions, would help broaden its acceptance.

What do you all think?
As a person with HFA or Asperger's , I don't know of research that really establishes a connection with the celiac diet.

Could you provide a source?

And as for ASL as treatment , I really doubt it.

Oh yes, ASL is not just for the Deaf community.

I advocate ASL as a whole for bilingualism, hearing babies to communicate with their parents as their voice boxes are not developed until after the age of 1 as well as other language development delays.

Autism as well as other behavioural spectrum benefit from this. I advocate the usage of ASL because some autistic individuals are not able to handle loud noises much less the constant sounds of noise ie talking.

This is where ASL works.

ASL and Autism

Dr Schroeder's POV on ASL and Autism

[yt]3JAcsf7ccbk[/yt]

Another thing I have looked up on dietary intake on autistic children as well.

Wheat and dairy do play their roles so autistic children need to be watched when they eat as well as parents have to take a proactive role in feeding their children.

No need to apologize. You only need to say it is your opinion instead of presenting it is a legitimate result.

There are several deaf autistics here, and I can tell you from personal experience, I didn't connect enough as a child for anything but lashing out.

Behavioral therapy was very useful.

I love you my Botts!

Gluten and casein are getting a lot of attention in the autism community and from doctors in the "Defeat Autism Now!" biomedical movement. Some parents, doctors and researchers say that children have shown mild to dramatic improvements in speech and/or behavior after these substances were removed from their diet. Some also report that their children have experienced fewer bouts of diarrhea and loose stools since starting a gluten-free, casein-free (GFCF) diet. Author Donna Williams, who has autism, says she has been helped by "nutritional supplements together with a dairy/gluten-free and low Salicylate diet." (Salicylates are found in some fruits likes apples and other foods). Some people report no benefits from the GFCF diet.

There is growing interest in the link between autism and gastrointestinal (GI) ailments. A study by the University of California Davis Health System found that children with autism born in the 1990s were more likely to have gastrointestinal problems, including constipation, diarrhea and vomiting, than autistic children who were born in the early 1980s. Some people use the GFCF diet mainly to ease gastrointestinal problems and food allergies or sensitivities.

According to one theory, some people with autism and PDD cannot properly digest gluten and casein, which form peptides, or substances that act like opiates in their bodies. The peptides then alter the person's behavior, perceptions, and responses to his environment. Some scientists now believe that peptides trigger an unusual immune system response in certain people. Research in the U.S. and Europe has found peptides in the urine of a significant number of children with autism. A doctor can order a urinary peptide test to see if proteins are being digested properly.

Studies are underway to examine the effectiveness of the GFCF diet, which has not gained widespread acceptance in the medical community. One recent study found behavioral improvements in children on a GFCF diet, while another study found no significant effects from the diet.
AutismWeb

I love you my Botts!

AutismWeb

I love you too Mrs. Bucket. And I have followed the GFCF for a couple of years..

But I am not sure if it had any effect, and I worry about people getting wrong information.

Kind of like Jenny McCarthy who is a comedian writing a book on how to cure your child of autism, as she got results one way for her son.

I don't think there is an answer yet.

I wasn't really referring to a "cure," simply to the idea that it may be helpful. Much as diet is helpful. I realize that love and acceptance are the "cure" for nearly all societal ails.

I regret now that I posted this and wish I could have it removed. I apologize to you all for having mentioned it.

I love you too Mrs. Bucket. And I have followed the GFCF for a couple of years..

But I am not sure if it had any effect, and I worry about people getting wrong information.

Kind of like Jenny McCarthy who is a comedian writing a book on how to cure your child of autism, as she got results one way for her son.

I don't think there is an answer yet.

Yea, it sparked a controversity.

Just like with deaf children, give children with autism all the tools in life, including love and acceptance, just like Mrs. Bucket said.

I wasn't really referring to a "cure," simply to the idea that it may be helpful. Much as diet is helpful. I realize that love and acceptance are the "cure" for nearly all societal ails.

I regret now that I posted this and wish I could have it removed. I apologize to you all for having mentioned it.

No, no, no.

Never go through life with regret for you will not enjoy life.

We all learn from each other.

:hug:

I will note one thing: it's pretty much the media and parents of overzealous parents making a fuss about GFCF diets in autistic children who do not have a diagnosed intolerance of dairy or gluten. You might find a quack doctor or autism "cure" organization, but it is not widely accepted that because one is autistic one must or will more likely be intolerant of gluten or dairy or that one will "behave less autistic" by not consuming those things. Or, for that matter, that one -needs- to "behave less autistic". (I'm on the side of the fence that doesn't believe they do.)

In any case, ASL already has an established place in communication methods autistic people use, and if you know someone who might benefit, it's worth recommending. But they're probably already aware ASL exists and probably already receive unsolicited advice on how to raise their children or live their lives on a regular basis, so, use your judgment on that one.

meant respectfully to all :wave:
this is my perspective and what I have learned about the use of ASL with regard to hearing kids - individuals and institutions have often been quick to jump into use of ASL with hearing kids <hearing kids who may or may not have any alleged additional "needs"> while at SAME time continuing to outwardly deny or downplay the importance of, ASL to d/Deaf kids. From my perspective I see that as discriminatory at worst and as an imbalance and lack of understanding at best. So when there is flurry of excitement over "let's have ASL here!" < as in, on one hand> but not THERE, when d/Deaf people discussing the need for equal access have been ignored for many years, this is where I see concerns arising.
This is my thought on it.

Oh yes, ASL is not just for the Deaf community.
Yes.
Some people with CP or disablities like apraxia use ASL as a first language.
Moni, I see what you're saying. Actually.......wouldn't that be kind of the multiple intelligences theory? They have found that kids who have difficulty with speech can thrive with ASL b/c its using other pathways.

From my own experience, i dont have anything license in specializing in down syndrome kids. Recently, it was a deaf event I went, I thought down syndrome kid was deaf, and he turns out a hearing kid. He signs so natural and keep talking to me and talking to other people. He is not shy socializing with people at the deaf event. I can see that its a real beneficial to his language is ASL.

Yes.
Some people with CP or disablities like apraxia use ASL as a first language.
Moni, I see what you're saying. Actually.......wouldn't that be kind of the multiple intelligences theory? They have found that kids who have difficulty with speech can thrive with ASL b/c its using other pathways.

I've seen this at work. Definitely another good use for ASL.

As for autism and Asperger's, I've read stories of ASL being successful and other stories of it being useless. It probably depends on which pathways the individual has difficulty with and what aspect of spoken language they have difficulty with: the sound vs. the formation of language.

My wife is Asperger's and really dislikes sign language and hates print on palm. :laugh2: On the other hand, it's easier for both of us to have serious conversations through instant messenger than it is verbally because she has an easier time forming her words in writing and I have an easier time understanding my pitch-, volume-, and speed-controlled speech reader than I do her voice which can vary in volume, speed, and pitch without warning. It leads to less possible misunderstandings on both sides.

Back